So, what are your recent acquisitions?

FatherOfPugs

3 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Two heavy hitters there.  Love the Les Chetillons from PP.  Haven't hard one in a few years, but have their regular BdB often. Clos de la Roche is a treat too!

agreed. 09 rousseau is fabulous stuff.

and another fan of the PP here. visited there a few years ago and try and grab any bottle of chetillons that makes it to Qld. we get about 6 for the state so it is not easy. managed a magnum of the 10 recently and a single bottle only of the latest and somewhere in the cellar, i have one of the chet onetheque from 2000. you've got me exicted for a visiot to the cellar now! 

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few recent acquisitions 1980s bottlings of Glenfiddich 15 and 18. 1980s bottling of Macallan 12 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My summer planned trip to Cuba was scuppered so I did the next best thing... a whisky buying trip/tour of Scotland! Had a great week with a mix of rain and glorious sunshine. Some great pick ups too -

Blanton's gold US release

6 hours ago, Meklown said:

Got this in an auction a while back, but finally managed to get someone to carry it home.

The first Caol Ila in the Rare Malts series!

IMG-20191231-WA0014.jpeg

Gee-zus.

2 hours ago, Lant63 said:

70debb611c13b91b9edc58826ebf2e25.jpg

Bought, cracked and drank emoji36.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How is that? Ive been tempted on several occasions but never pulled the trigger.

• Haha 1

How is that? Ive been tempted on several occasions but never pulled the trigger.

I really enjoyed it. Definitely characteristically Ardbeg. Bright citrus and vanilla. Smooth peat, more subtle than the standard 10.

High age statement, good ABV, non chill filtered and no added coloring. A must buy IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, BoliDan said:

Went with the king of peat, picked up budget bourbon while i was there.

20200103_205832_HDR.thumb.jpg.7f41da911ae0a8cbd16edef6472a4683.jpg

that is a pretty good "budget" bourbon! 

huge fan of the peaty malts and actually came across this, this morning. yours looks 8.1 - i'm not sure where that fits but it can't be far from 8.3. 

FROM 0 TO 300: FIND YOUR PERFECT PPM

0 ppm—Hazelburn 10 year old
Pears, toffee, herbal tobacco, cinnamon, vanilla, and cocoa powder.

<1 ppm—Old Pulteney 12 year old
Almonds, honey, and nuts with wood spices.

0.5-2 ppm—Bunnahabhain 12 year old
Nutty, toffee, light molasses, vanilla fudge, citrus, dark berries, and a hint of brine.

12-13 ppm—Ardmore Traditional
Sweet notes of toffee and caramel, damp, earthy peat, and bourbon-like notes.

12-20 ppm—Kilchoman 100% Islay
Smoke, lemon curd, vanilla, allspice, baked apples, dark chocolate, and nutty oak.

15 ppm—Tomatin Cù Bòcan
Lemonade, coconut, malt, and honey, plus cinnamon and cloves.

15-25 ppm—Springbank 10 year old
Citrus fruit, cereal, and mildly smoky oak, as well as vanilla toffee, cedar wood, hazelnuts, and coconut.

20 ppm—Arran Machrie Moor
Peat, spicy malt, toffee, lemon, nuts, and chocolate.

20 ppm—Highland Park 12 year old
Fragrant and floral, with hints of heather and spice, as well as honey, citrus fruits, and malt.

25-30 ppm—Bowmore 15 year old
Lush fruit, raisin, pot-still rum, Heath bars, citrus, and wood spices.

30 ppm—Balvenie Peat Week 2003
Islay-like phenols, sweet floral notes, vanilla, citrus fruits, and honey.

35-45 ppm—Ledaig 10 year old
Ripe barley, honeyed vanilla, black licorice stick, espresso bean, and olive brine.

40 ppm—Port Charlotte 10 year old
Maritime notes, with sweet caramel, coconut, and orchard fruits.

40-50 ppm—Laphroaig 10 year old
Iodine, charcoal, seaweed, black pepper, fruit, vanilla, caramel, and sweet oak.

45 ppm—BenRiach 10 year old Curiositas
Earthy peat, hot road tar, honey, tropical and dried fruits, allspice, and oak.

45 ppm—Glenglassaugh Torfa
Heathery peat with dried fruits, malt, cream soda, ripe peaches, chili, and ginger.

50 ppm—Kilchoman Machir Bay
Smoke, sea-washed rock, light flowers, and hot sand; sweet and smoky, with a chalky edge.

55 ppm—Ardbeg 10 year old
Smoked haddock, citrus fruits, milk chocolate, pipe tobacco, black coffee, and licorice.

80 ppm—Longrow 18 year old
Sweet vanilla, ripe apple, chimney soot, charcuterie, licorice, coffee beans, brine, and chili.

>100 ppm—Ardbeg Supernova
Minty and sweet spice, seaweed, smoked fish, and dried grasses.

131 ppm—Octomore 1.1
Cigar smoke and ash, licorice root, bacon fat, Kalamata olive, orchard fruit, honeyed malt, brine, and soft vanilla.

258 ppm—Octomore 6.3
Coastal brine, mint, thyme, grapes, cherries, chocolate, and oak.

309 ppm—Octomore 8.3
Barbecue smokiness, citrus fruit, earthy peat, full-bodied red wine, milk chocolate, ginger, and chili.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ken Gargett said:

huge fan of the peaty malts and actually came across this, this morning. yours looks 8.1 - i'm not sure where that fits but it can't be far from 8.3. 

Nutty, toffee, light molasses, vanilla fudge, citrus, dark berries, and a hint of brine.

Smoke, lemon curd, vanilla, allspice, baked apples, dark chocolate, and nutty oak.

15 ppm—Tomatin Cù Bòcan

Citrus fruit, cereal, and mildly smoky oak, as well as vanilla toffee, cedar wood, hazelnuts, and coconut.

Fragrant and floral, with hints of heather and spice, as well as honey, citrus fruits, and malt.

Ripe barley, honeyed vanilla, black licorice stick, espresso bean, and olive brine.

Iodine, charcoal, seaweed, black pepper, fruit, vanilla, caramel, and sweet oak.

Heathery peat with dried fruits, malt, cream soda, ripe peaches, chili, and ginger.

Smoke, sea-washed rock, light flowers, and hot sand; sweet and smoky, with a chalky edge.

Smoked haddock, citrus fruits, milk chocolate, pipe tobacco, black coffee, and licorice.

Sweet vanilla, ripe apple, chimney soot, charcuterie, licorice, coffee beans, brine, and chili.

131 ppm—Octomore 1.1
Cigar smoke and ash, licorice root, bacon fat, Kalamata olive, orchard fruit, honeyed malt, brine, and soft vanilla.

258 ppm—Octomore 6.3

309 ppm—Octomore 8.3
Barbecue smokiness, citrus fruit, earthy peat, full-bodied red wine, milk chocolate, ginger, and chili.

What a fantastic list. Yes Buffalo Trace is a budget bourbon in the States. Only $22 at my neighborhood store. 8.1 is modest 167 ppm of phenolic smoke. Once you get this high in ppm you transcend those normal smokey notes and it evolves into an entirely different animal than standard lagavulin, laphroiag or ardbeg. Id agree with the noteson 131 ppm. The nose was mild due to american oak finish. But divine.

Just now, BoliDan said:

What a fantastic list. Yes Buffalo Trace is a budget bourbon in the States. Only $22 at my neighborhood store. 8.1 is modest 167 ppm of phenolic smoke. Once you get this high in ppm you transcend those normal smokey notes and it evolves into an entirely different animal than standard lagavulin, laphroiag or ardbeg. Id agree with the noteson 131 ppm. The nose was mild due to american oak finish. But divine.

i've had the list for a while - can't remember where i got it - but only got around to reading it today. nice coincidence.

it kills me that your bourbon is $22. there is no god!! 

here, at our biggest and almost always cheapest retailer, $63. granted a currency difference but our taxes kill us. 

• Haha 1

the toasted sour mash you mean?

The toasted sour mash is supposed to be phenomenal. I have yet to find one. The secondary for them is crazy. The regular sour mash seems to be everywhere and at cheap prices.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, prodigy said:

The toasted sour mash is supposed to be phenomenal. I have yet to find one. The secondary for them is crazy. The regular sour mash seems to be everywhere and at cheap prices.

I've got a bottle. Not worth secondary. Just like M10 bourbon isn't worth secondary (at least '19 isn't, in my opinion). It's good unless you only drink and love higher proof stuff. I would pay secondary for m10 rye mmmm haha

On 1/4/2020 at 12:27 PM, Ken Gargett said:

15 ppm—Tomatin Cù Bòcan

131 ppm—Octomore 1.1

258 ppm—Octomore 6.3

309 ppm—Octomore 8.3

I am honestly amazed that the Bunna 12 is so low on the ppm scale. Taste-wise (to me), it has more peat than the Springbank 10 and only slightly less than the Bowmore 15! 

I also never understood peated Balvenie until the new series came out. New packaging doesn't always mean new juice, but it's quite obviously different to me. It previously always tasted weird but the new version combines the peat and the honey very harmoniously.

Everytime I see Weller or blantons I grab it so scarce out here in California. Next bottles will be the antique Weller or the CYPB bottle
Snapchat-266274336.thumb.jpg.310a216e38e5e3e5426f974010b87fe1.jpg
Wow, I've never seen it once outside of lotteries, and you found 2! Lucky...

Lol I've been pretty fortunate lately I get all the stuff you don't see out the floor.. I'm a regular and get the insight on what's coming in..... I couldn't live with myself if I had to do a lottery style purchase system @prodigy

16 minutes ago, Astar20 said:

Lol I've been pretty fortunate lately I get all the stuff you don't see out the floor.. I'm a regular and get the insight on what's coming in..... I couldn't live with myself if I had to do a lottery style purchase system @prodigy

Yeah, being a peasant sucks lol 

• Like 1

I just don't understand the whole lottery system and why it's ran like that. 
For example, the pappy lotteries just ended in Virginia. The 23 year had 9 bottles allocated for the entire state, with a measly 36,000 entries. The 20 year had much better odds with 346 bottles available and 30,000 entries.... it's the only chance to get certain bottles, but because of how popular these are now it's basically like winning the real lottery in order to get one.

What I don't like is the opportunity to join a lottery, then you win, but its only a winning to still buy....so it's not like you really won anything.......sorry grumpy coffee still kicking in, I need a smoke heh

17 minutes ago, prodigy said:

For example, the pappy lotteries just ended in Virginia. The 23 year had 9 bottles allocated for the entire state, with a measly 36,000 entries. The 20 year had much better odds with 346 bottles available and 30,000 entries.... it's the only chance to get certain bottles, but because of how popular these are now it's basically like winning the real lottery in order to get one.

10 minutes ago, irratebass said:

What I don't like is the opportunity to join a lottery, then you win, but its only a winning to still buy....so it's not like you really won anything.......sorry grumpy coffee still kicking in, I need a smoke heh

That blows me away, you only win the. Chance to buy!! Wow km very fortunate to just walk in and buy what I want if it's in the shelf, I usually get first picks of the new shipments. 9 bottles for an entire state wow I'm appalled! 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Astar20 said:

That blows me away, you only win the. Chance to buy!! Wow km very fortunate to just walk in and buy what I want if it's in the shelf, I usually get first picks of the new shipments. 9 bottles for an entire state wow I'm appalled! 

I wish the hipsters would jump on the Rum or Vodka band wagon and leave my bourbon alone, so the prices and availability would go back to normal 

18 minutes ago, irratebass said:

I wish the hipsters would jump on the Rum or Vodka band wagon and leave my bourbon alone, so the prices and availability would go back to normal 

Was thinking of moving out that way from California but now I'm not so sure but I'm very fortunate to be able to get my bourbon here! Just wish my Stagg and antique Weller were not crazy expensive