Are 50 cabs still the way to go?

So back 5 years ago or so when I was starting out, the consensus seemed to be that cigars from 50 count cabs were usually more consistent and of better average quality. Would you say that it is still the case now in 2015? Given the choice, for the same price would you buy blind two dress boxes or a 50 cab?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the answer to this question ... derrek . '97 ryj tpc's '02 allones coronas '99 erdm pc's '01 partagas lonsdales '02 partagas coronas random party shorts ... have 4 or 6 more cabs but

What's not to like?

There just isn't anything prettier. Oh, and they smoke pretty good too.

Same here. I prefer 50 cabs. But it doesn't mean I don't buy dress boxes. I jumped on the those quality shorts yesterday...wish it was cab but still bought them.

I bought a cab of Party shorts a while back but haven't tried them. For me, the fact that you get round cigars in a cab vs flat cigars in a box is enough reason to go cab, even at a slightly higher price. Unless space is an issue, I'd grab the cab if available.

• Like 1

50 cabs all the way 25's as well even though there becoming rarer and not as many available in various marques

Personally, I like the round cigar shape from the cabs.

But eventhough there have been whole discussions with semi-scientific argumentations, I have not been able to see how the cabs are inherently better.

Having said this, my best cigars are from Cabs.

Some of my favourites only come in 50Cabs so there the discussion is moot

Of all the cigars in my collection the best smokes come from 50 cabs:

HdM Epicure No 2 AOR OCT 06

SLR Series A AEP ABR 07

Each cigar has been sensational.

So yes, I'm a big fan of 50 cabs, especially with a bit of age on them.

Cheers

Prefer 50cabs. The only thing better than a 50cab would be a 100cab. Unfortunately 50cabs seem to be going the way of the dinosaur. I wonder how many vitola will still be available in the SLB50 ten years from now. A quick search on ccw for discontinued SLB50's returns grim results.

Recent discussion here: http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=113112

I haven't had the time to age any cigars longer than a 2007 box date, so I might be a little too inexperienced for this conversation. For me it seems more of a preference at this point, but maybe if I tried to age cigars for 15+ years, my opinion might change. I like how dress boxes stack in my cooler, but I like the pseudo-scientific opinions I've read about aging in cabs.

I didn't realize there was a difference beyond the quantity. Pretty neat info here. Now I'll have to watch out for cab deals.

So would the BBF's in a 25ct box be considered a cab?

50 cabs are becoming harder to come by. I picked up the last Lusitania one vendor had and asked Rob to find me one earlier this year. He only had one which was damaged - box and cigars. Not to say they're not still out there, I know of a few places one can still pick them up.

Always prefer the cab version when available.

Currently still produced are:

HdM DC, Epi #2, EE
JL #2
Parti Lusi, Shorts
PLPC
Punch DC, PP
RASS
SLR DC
Boli CG
ERDM Choix Supreme
HU Mag 46
Trini Fundadores

I miss the Boli PC and CE, Trini Fundadores. Really miss the Boli PC most, went through quite a few of those when still available, down to only 2/3 left of my last one.

• Like 1

I go with the 50 cabs mostly because I like my cigars round, and often times I find the 50 cabs to be a slightly better deal.

The rational I've heard for the supposed better quality in 50 cabs is that because Cuban cigars are sorted by wrapper shade, you tend to get cigars from the most consistently occurring shades since they have to find 50 of them to put in a box, whereas in a ten count box you are much more likely to encounter the random triple claros that are on the far end of the bell curve. I have no idea if that explanation is true, but it does match my experience.

I didn't realize there was a difference beyond the quantity. Pretty neat info here. Now I'll have to watch out for cab deals.

So would the BBF's in a 25ct box be considered a cab?

I dont see why not, its a mini cab but still made of wood like its big brother. I prefer the SLB over the dress box. Opinion only but I think they are better as others stated above. Part of it is I dont like belicosos/torps with a box press.

I guess I'm in the minority, I like the slight box press on a dress box. But just getting into it, I don't age (yet) and I just buy whatever Rob puts in front of my eyes that I like.

Robustos, double corona absolutely...probably what I like best about Padrons. Pointy heads nope.

50 cabs are becoming harder to come by. I picked up the last Lusitania one vendor had and asked Rob to find me one earlier this year. He only had one which was damaged - box and cigars. Not to say they're not still out there, I know of a few places one can still pick them up.

Always prefer the cab version when available.

Currently still produced are:

HdM DC, Epi #2, EE

JL #2

Parti Lusi, Shorts

PLPC

Punch DC, PP

RASS

SLR DC

Boli CG

ERDM Choix Supreme

HU Mag 46

Trini Fundadores

I miss the Boli PC and CE, Trini Fundadores. Really miss the Boli PC most, went through quite a few of those when still available, down to only 2/3 left of my last one.

Not seen the erdm in a while

Bolivar cg are discontinued

Trini fundadores you sure never heard of a 50 cab