To inhale or not to inhale

Well do ya?  

470 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Give the man a cigar! This is one of the ultimate techniques. Often overlooked but far more intense than almost any other draw technique. Wilkey

Oooooh, close! Personal preference is the first rule of smoking cigars!!

When I'm drawing on a cigar, I occasionally like to tip the cigar downwards.... and inhale a little bit of the smoke coming off of the foot. I find the aromas to be much more enhanced by the burning

CIgars are NOT meant to be inhaled. It adds nothing to the flavor, and only adds to the level of Nicotine your body absorbs. Of course, it's terrible for your lungs and trachea--one of the main reasons cigars are NOT as bad for you as cigarettes (which the "Big Tobacco" companies don't want you to think about) is that the smoke has minimal contact with your lungs, which are much more susceptible to the damage.

I do occasionally inhale a very dilute mix of smoke in air. Usually I do this when the smoke is especially fragrant or rich. I draw in the normal way, then slowly push it out through my mouth with my tongue instead of expelling with breath from my lungs, and then inhale through my nose. I'd say for every volume of smoke I push out, I dilute it 5-10 fold. I don't do it with every draw but I do occasionally do this. It gives a different sense of the smoke as compared to pure or diluted retronasal expelling.

This is commonly referred to as the French Inhale.

Wilkey

dumb question..is retrohaling through the nose inhaling?

Well, inhaling is just inhaling I think. Retronasal expelling or olfaction is expelling or smelling aroma that reaches the nasal sensory organs from the opposite way, or from the mouth.

Wilkey

When I'm drawing on a cigar, I occasionally like to tip the cigar downwards.... and inhale a little bit of the smoke coming off of the foot. I find the aromas to be much more enhanced by the burning wrapper. This is the only time that I intentionally inhale smoke.

• Like 1

When I'm drawing on a cigar, I occasionally like to tip the cigar downwards.... and inhale a little bit of the smoke coming off of the foot. I find the aromas to be much more enhanced by the burning wrapper. This is the only time that I intentionally inhale smoke.

Give the man a cigar! This is one of the ultimate techniques. Often overlooked but far more intense than almost any other draw technique.

Wilkey

• Like 2

I was always told not to inhale it like a cigarette. I used to smoke cigs for years but I inhaled some of the little remaining smoke in my mouth by accident and it was nothing like inhaling a cig. I guess I am guilty of sniffing some of the smoke it creates sometimes because it's such a pleasing aroma. Does that count as inhaling?

I sometimes do something similar :

I wave my hand over the smoke coming off the foot while the cigar is in my other hand, as you would do to smell the aroma of something cooking in a pot or skillet. In my view, this accomplishes two things :

1 - since the tobacco is burning by itself, the aroma isn't influenced by the speed or duration of your draw

2 - the aroma is only perceived by the olfactory system and not a mix of gustative and olfactory

This gives me another perspective of the cigar I'm smoking.

I also retrohale pretty often, be it either my entire draw or just the last 25% of smoke left after pushing out the first 75% of it by the mouth. I tend to retrohale my entire draw after my first 3 or 4 draws at the start of a cigar and I do it again when I detect that the flavor profile is evolving/changing and/or at the beginning, middle and end of a cigar.

I have inhaled the smoke a few times, but not intentionaly. While being busy doing something else and nowhere to put the cigar down, I have to hold the cigar in my mouth longer than I want to and have to breathe at some point...not a pleasant experience. Makes me cough a lot and turns me off the cigar. I wait a minute or two and then I'm good to go.

I sometimes do something similar :

I wave my hand over the smoke coming off the foot while the cigar is in my other hand, as you would do to smell the aroma of something cooking in a pot or skillet. In my view, this accomplishes two things :

1 - since the tobacco is burning by itself, the aroma isn't influenced by the speed or duration of your draw

2 - the aroma is only perceived by the olfactory system and not a mix of gustative and olfactory

This gives me another perspective of the cigar I'm smoking.

I also retrohale pretty often, be it either my entire draw or just the last 25% of smoke left after pushing out the first 75% of it by the mouth. I tend to retrohale my entire draw after my first 3 or 4 draws at the start of a cigar and I do it again when I detect that the flavor profile is evolving/changing and/or at the beginning, middle and end of a cigar.

I have inhaled the smoke a few times, but not intentionaly. While being busy doing something else and nowhere to put the cigar down, I have to hold the cigar in my mouth longer than I want to and have to breathe at some point...not a pleasant experience. Makes me cough a lot and turns me off the cigar. I wait a minute or two and then I'm good to go.

I pretty much do at least 80% retro, sometimes 100% and will do the fan thing or purposely smell the smoke as well.

I don't inhale 99.999% of the time. Taste only for me, with the occasional retrohale. I just simply prefer not to inhale at all with my cigars - personally, and I have tried it, but I find that for me it only adds maybe 1%, if that, to the overall experience, so why bother.

So, I do not inhale.

And also....I did not have sexual relations with that woman. :D:lookaround::cigar:

• Like 1

+1

But if you are inside with a bunch of fellow smokers, the second hand smoke can get a bit thick...

When I'm drawing on a cigar, I occasionally like to tip the cigar downwards.... and inhale a little bit of the smoke coming off of the foot.

I sometimes...wave my hand over the smoke coming off the foot while the cigar is in my other hand, as you would do to smell the aroma of something cooking in a pot or skillet.

Yet another variation of this that I practice is to sort of cup my hand to the side of the cigar, along the barrel but about 2" from the surface and hold it stationary there to provide a calm channel for the foot-smoke to gently waft up. Of course, as has already been noted, windy weather makes any variant of this technique problematic. But this "shielded" approach can be useful even indoors in a smoky-ish environment.

Wilkey

+1

But if you are inside with a bunch of fellow smokers, the second hand smoke can get a bit thick...

Agreed. I have a hard time with smoking indoors if the room is not well ventilated. When smoking in most lounges and cigar stores, I will often get light headed when sitting down in a crowded room for a couple of hours. I kind of get irritated when I can't enjoy the aromas of my own cigar.

When I used to attend several herfs per year, I used to have a whole lineup of cigars to smoke. By the end of the day, I usually ended up smoking 2 or 3 cigars in a day. If I smoke one full flavored cigar, I'm usually satisfied for hours.