Deletions Fightback

I have decided to send my letters to the four individuals with Habanos s.a. in Habana as well as to the Altadis address in Madrid. They're addressed and ready to go to the Post Office this evening.

Lead the way Van :lol:

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im trying to speak up for the Diplomaticos this time... starting my letter something like this...

"I am a passionate Habanos lover who is in shock at the proposed desecration of the Diplomaticos brand. I consider the deletion of the Diplomaticos 4 & 5 to be a tragedy for both the consumers and for the Habanos brand itself.

In my opinion the Diplomaticos not only has a unique taste and consistency, but is also an important piece of the Habanos history. The removal the last of the thinner gauge cigars in this line is something that not only me, but many others of my cigar smoking friends consider to cause an irreparable damage to the Habanos portfolio.

Many of us is missing the Diplomaticos 1 & 3. I implore You to reconsider the removal of the Diplomaticos 4 & 5."

I'm in! fantastic job to those who already sent a letters in! Here we come HSA!

Rob, Please post emails when possible so I can send English ones and perhaps even have some translated into Spanish by good friends of mine?

I want them to really feel my message ... which is usually easier in one's native tongue.

Its a shame we can not send Habanos a link to this very thread as these 5 pages alone contain so many members' input, concerns, sadness at the loss of so many iconic cigars.

Just reading everyones posts, the teamwork involved in an attempt to halt the deletions is really overwhelming to read.

Its absolutely terrible when one is facing the possibility of losing a beloved cigar(s) as for many, it is so much more than just a cigar.

If anything, all who have contributed their letters, ideas and input for such an amazing feat, should the worst case occur and our letters do not have any effect on Habanos' decision, you all should be proud of yourselves in attempting to curb a decision that should never have been made in the first place. B)

Good luck to all.

I've sent out 6 with 8 more waiting. It will be interesting to see if any of the 2009 Cigar Aficionado's Top 25 Cigar will be on the list. Would THAT be funny and a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

We have allies Piggy within. We just cannot post their names here. Let me follow up on this.

We don't break the rules, We just bend the crap out of them. LOL

That's not a problem. Just send out a blanket email special. Buy 1 box at regular price and get the second box at the same price. LOL Oh buy the way, here are the names, addresses and emails for everyone involved. Talk about a firing squad on SA and being shell shocked. Just my .02

My letter to the company!

I am writing about yet another list of cigars that are scheduled for termination by Tabacuba and Habanos SA. I ask you Gentlemen, would you reconsider your decisions please?

Not often do I find myself writing a company wishing to discuss their products. In the modern world there are often numerous products to fill the voids left by obsolete products and the companies that produce them. The problem that I am seeing is one in determining obsolescence. It makes me wonder what is actually obsolete here, the product line or the management! Enlightened executives appreciate their loyal customers and have a good understanding for the need to have a wide range of products to satisfy a broad spectrum of customers both old and new. Where will I find such a company now that Habansos SA and Tabacuba are failing at the job? As a seasoned cigar connoisseur I am in need of a company appreciative of me as a loyal customer, one capable of understanding me and its other customers, its responsibility toward them and its own heritage; one with a vision. A company with leadership understanding what it means to be a market bellwether, one that can manage a diverse portfolio of old and new customers, connoisseurs and trend followers. It appears that Tabacuba is no longer such a company. Having been a loyal customer of the products produced by Tabacuba for many years now, it is a shame to see this leadership leave the hands of the Cuban people only to be taken up by those of another company in that of another country.

Since the inception of your war on slender and medium ring cigars you have gradually all but eliminated the best cigars in your catalogue. The decisions for cigar line deletions of the past have caused me to wonder about the capability of the leadership of your company. This last list makes me ask once more, does anyone working for management at Tabacuba or Habanos SA consume the products that it produces and sells? If so, why then attempt to make the entire product line more like the flavorless, homogenized products produced by a plethora of other companies in other countries? Does anyone at Habanos SA know a good cigar from a bad one? With the market saturated with behemoth cigars created by the non-Cuban companies perhaps we are seeing a final capitulation by Tabacuba to the expatriated Cuban tobacco company owners, an admission that the powers at Tabacuba are simply incapable of balancing the demands of its loyal traditional customers with the new trends and challenges of a modern tobacco products company? This is what is apparent to this consumer, a loyal customer, watching as the company that was respected for producing the world best cigars takes the role of a follower rather than that of the leader, ironically to the very people who left the island decades ago. Is it in producing nothing but the trend following products of those expatriated cigar monarchs, the only way to success for Tabacuba? Is this the conclusion that you have come to some 50 years after the revolution; that the worlds best cigars are those that you must copy from those that left the island decades ago? Perhaps you should just sell them the tobacco and retire from cigar production altogether!

Why do I believe that the expatriated owners of the Partagas brand would find a way to continue to make the Serie du Connoisseur line of cigars despite the market trending to larger ring cigars? Is it not enough that you have already discontinued so many petit coronas, coronas, londales and others; cigars who’s flavor and heritage is now lost forever? How can it be understood by the connoisseur, persons like myself, the ones who have purchased these fine cigars over the decades by the thousands and not by the leaders of the company that produces them, that they have historically been the best cigars that the company has to offer; that they are in fact irreplaceable? Has it not occurred to you that the Partagas Serie du Connoisseur Number 1 (for example) is not just a thinner version of the Montecristo Edmundo? Might I suggest that a persons such as myself, one that has enjoyed the El Rey del Mundo Grandes de Espana will not find the same taste, delight and refinement in a Canonazo? Might I also suggest that you try one and see for yourself, experience the difference, or don’t you guys smoke anymore?

With Rolex and Timex existing in the same market, can you not continue to make the coronas, the lonsdales and other medium ring and slender ring cigars for us loyal steadfast connoisseurs and customers? It is truly cigars like Serie du Connoisseur that represents the taste, refinement and quality of the Rolex in the marketplace. Those fat flavorless copies of cigars made in other countries are nothing more than knockoffs of trendy models made by others. By looking over this years production numbers it does not appear that being in the business of making fat knockoffs has really done you much good so far!!!

Lastly I would like to leave you with this; the knowing that you have now passed up on the opportunity to sell me thousands of cigars over the years by cancellations such as the ones on this year’s list. These cigars you propose to cancel today along with those of the past have made a real, not speculative impact on me as a consumer and you as a producer in that I will not buy some other cigar that you produce to replace the ones that I smoke that have been cancelled. Those sales are lost to you forever.

Your concentration on the occasional smoker over that of the connoisseur, the daily cigar smoker is a huge mistake. Whereas the occasional smoker will pick up a few cigars to take golfing when he has the money he will still find time and money to golf when the economy slows. He may decide he does not need a golf cart or the cigars to smoke along the way, but he will still go golfing anyway; he is a golfer! I am a smoker and when money is tight I will still find the money to enjoy my pleasure, the enjoyment of a refined slender ring cigar. Unfortunately it will not likely be a Habanos… those fat ring knockoffs will be still be waiting to be noticed by those guys with the golf clubs long after you have lost me to another manufacturer.

Brevity is the soul of wit, Piggy. :party:

I couldn't remember where that quote originated. It's from Shakespeare's Hamlet:

Therefore, since brevity is the soul of wit,

And tediousness the limbs and outward flourishes,

I will be brief:

Brevity is the soul of wit, Piggy. :wink2:

I couldn't remember where that quote originated. It's from Shakespeare's Hamlet:

Van are you saying I am right on; used too many words... or don't know what the **** I am talking about??? Criticism positive or negative is in any event fair and I accept it, I posted it, it is from the heart; exactly the way I see it. Now that the non-Cuban companies are becoming more competitive it is clear to me that the Tabacuba has not the intellectual property to lead now that their advantage has narrowed.

I personally loved the part about them following the expatriated owners! - Piggy

Van are you saying I am right on; used too many words... or don't know what the **** I am talking about??? Criticism positive or negative is in any event fair and I accept it, I posted it, it is from the heart; exactly the way I see it. Now that the non-Cuban companies are becoming more competitive it is clear to me that the Tabacuba has not the intellectual property to lead now that their advantage has narrowed.

I personally loved the part about them following the expatriated owners! - Piggy

None of the above, my friend. I was just making a joke about the length of your letter. I can tell it is from your heart and it is well stated.

My own effort was both shorter and far less eloquent. But I think the impact will come from the volume of letters received more than from the specific content.

Well done gentlemen.

Members have enough information to formulate letters if they need assistance. It is all about the sending.

Should members wish to send an e-mail as well as a letter they can PM me over the weekend and I will PM them back Monday. I won't put e-mails on a public forum. Similarly if Mods are members of other forums I am happy for them to do the same with members there. These e-mail addy's will again not go on any public forum. They are to be issued only to members of good standing.

There is to be no abuse. Simply a well thought out appeal for reconsideration. Your appeal is personal. Do not mention any forum.

I wonder what the postage would be for a letter sent from the USA?

Thanks

Back and forth is minimum 65 cents for the stamp as I´m aware of since I usually send Xmass postcards to a few friends. 85 to be safe. Letters sent trhough ordinary mail are not under the prohibition. Good post, prez and keep up the good work.

Piggy, your letter is brilliant!

Well thought-out, yet the passion is running wild.

I, for one, will steal some of your ideas, and some of your fire.

None of the above, my friend. I was just making a joke about the length of your letter. I can tell it is from your heart and it is well stated.

My own effort was both shorter and far less eloquent. But I think the impact will come from the volume of letters received more than from the specific content.

I figured you were jerkin' me a bit Amigo! No harm, no foul. With how much **** I produce around this site, having to take some **** back is a given. Don't tell Rob, Ross or Ken I said so though!!! - Piggy