Your Cigar Of The Year ? (and the worst)

So far I think the best that Ive had so far would probably have to be the CoRo I had on Thanksgiving. My experience with cubans is not very extensive and since Ive discovered them, NCs just dont do it for me anymore.

The worst would probably have to be a CigarsInternational Legends (Perdomo) ripoff torpedo. Blah, HORRIBLE!!!!!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn, this is tough! Well confining myself to cigars rolled and sold in this year:

best: Cohiba Gran Reserva, yep it was damn good.

Honorable mention: upmann robusto since they still sell them and the Trinidad robusto which has been a huge go to stick.

Worst: RA celestial fino - maybe 5 years will help but right now it's the very definition of harsh

Early in 2009 I started keeping a list of the best. Then I forgot about the list. Then I lost the list altogether. So much for lists of cigars on a 3X5 card.

Anyway, as far as I can remember the best was a

Ramon Allones 8-9-8 from '99

Close behind were

-- Hoyo Piramide Le '03

-- Padron '64 Anni Principe purchased in '06.

-- SLR DC '06

Worst was a Piedra Cremas

*REALLY!!??? I almost ordered a Vegueros #2! Whew! What a thing! You know I had a Vegueros years

ago when they 1st came out. I wasn't impressed w/it then, and thought I'd give it another chance years

later...guess I'm glad I didn't. I trust your judgement!

Sometimes you get a great Vegueros box but not too often. One of the most wildly inconsistent brands in the Habanos stable.

I once I had a soft spot for Vegueros, but now i've reached the point where if they delete the brand I wouldn't even mind.

Let's see now...for 2009:

Best Cuban: Por Larranaga Petit Coronoa (07)

Honorable Mention (Cuban): Montecristo No. 4 (08)

Worst Cuban: Cuaba Divinio (07)

Best Non-Cuban: Liga Privada No. 9 Robusto

Honorable Mention (Non-Cuban): AVO Campanero LE 2009

Worst Non-Cuban: Casa Magna Robusto

I'm thinking the best are the Cohiba Lancero '01 and the RA Belicoso '05.

Worst was a R G corona gorda. I never got that cigar.

I'm thinking the best are the Cohiba Lancero '01 and the RA Belicoso '05.

Worst was a R G corona gorda. I never got that cigar.

Personally I love the RG Corona Extra. Light and mild, but not like a Fonseca. Great subtle flavors and an incredible price point. Tough to beat.

Sometimes you get a great Vegueros box but not too often. One of the most wildly inconsistent brands in the Habanos stable.

I once I had a soft spot for Vegueros, but now i've reached the point where if they delete the brand I wouldn't even mind.

More than one year ago I've tried Vegueros Especiales No2

post-3407-1259691623.jpg

post-3407-1259691614.jpg

It was superb! Here in St.Petes RU I've seen last week some Vegus in cigars store. Tomorrow I will buy a couple. Sad that HSA delete this brand. I've not met bad VegEsp2))

Personally I love the RG Corona Extra. Light and mild, but not like a Fonseca. Great subtle flavors and an incredible price point. Tough to beat.

The RG CEs I've smoked are pretty devoid of flavor. On the other hand, 01 Fonseca #1s are mild but tasty. Different strokes for different folks.

Best: 1980's la Escepcion Longo

Runner up is a Tie: 2000 Cohiba Millenium Jar Piramide/ 2000 Festival Marevas

Worst: Nothing stands out as gawd awfull, had many ok but not great regular production stuff from the last few years.

Always a fun thread to read......

Best: Hoyo de Monterrey Gran Piramide 2004

Honorable Mention: El Rey Del Mundo Tainos 1997

Worst: probably a Monte #2 from 2005

Best Cuban: Upmann Sir Winston (ARO April 03)

Honourable mentions:

09 Upmann Magnum 48

08 Partagas P2

07 BBF

Worst: 08 RASS (still was pretty good)

Best NC: Illusione cg:4

Honourable mentions:

Tatuaje Miami Havana Cazadores

Xikar HC Series Criollo Toro

Worst: Tie between Gurkha Sherpa Cafe Torpedo and Padilla Obsidian Belicoso.

Best: Monte Sublime, RA Phoenicia, CoRo (06, 07s), VR Maestro Spain RE

Worse: Magnum 48 LE, Monte Edmundo

I have heard so many good things about the Magnum 48s LE but the one I had was utterly aweful.

Good thread, I have a few special cigars that I am looking forward to lighting up before the end of the year but for now...

Best: 92 Punch SS#2. In a class by itself and pobably the best cigar I have smoked thus far. Honorable mention to the 03 Siglo VI and the 01 Cohiba Lancero.

Worst: Cabaguan Guapo. This cigar looked so good and was perfectly constructed. I made it about 3 inches through if before I gave up. It was a total pepper bomb with no complexity, depth or real character. I actually smoked a 99 Padron Diplomaticos maduro right after and I really enjoyed it. I am open minded to NC's but I'm not sure I will willingly light up another cabaiguan.

Most surprising: 08 JL #1 and 08 Upmann Connie #1. both fantastic.

Best cigar was an 03 H.Upmann Sir Winston. One of the best cigars I've smoked. Glad to hear the 08's are on.

Worst was an 01 Partaga Lusitania. This cigar had good draw and burn but no flavor at all. This was the mildest cigar I've ever smoked.

The year is not over yet so I reserve my right to modify this post :)

*My cigar of the year* - Ramon Allones Phoenicios

Honorable Mention - HDM DC 2003 (Cab50), Partagas Serie du Connoisseur no.1 2004, Bolivar Legendarios RE Suiza, Cohiba Robusto 2007, SLR Churchill 2001, SLR Serie A 1999

*The Worst* - Monte 4, like smoking hay which had been left under the sun for a couple of days.