Rinse Your Cigar Anyone?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't believe all of you seasoned professionals are dousing this idea so quickly. Have you not three spare cigars to give a try. Where's the adventurous? Where's the scientists? Where's Wilkey w

This, in my humble opinion, is a total crock of crap. Perhaps the good doctor was PWI again. Remember, this is the same guy who says the blends are different between Partagas Shorts in dress boxes

I have heard of rinsing; works great at imparting subtle flavors to the smoke. Rinse Bolivars in coffee, Partagas in fruit juice, Cohibas in tea. I just don't understand some of the heavier rinses; maple syrup, hot fudge, melted ice cream, those just cross the line somehow. -P

It really does look strange! but I've had cigars unwrap on me (probably my fault not storing them poorly) so if it works...maybe not still.

really looking forward to the review, it will be a lot of fun

This topic is being discussed over in ICC, where MRN has stated that he does this all the time with young cigars. Young being defined as under 10 years old. this practice does strike me as very odd, however I'd be open minded to giving it a try with a low end cigar, maybe a Coronitas en Cedro. You'd really need to smoke both cigars side by side, like the OP did here.

On a side note, I have an older uncle (almost 70) that I'll have a cigar with about once a month. Every time I give him a cigar, he'll stick the whole thing in his mouth, like from head to foot, and get it all wet with his saliva. Grosses me out everytime he does it. Then he bites off the end, even as I offer him a cigar cutter. to each his own...

I can't believe all of you seasoned professionals are dousing this idea so quickly.

I'm willing to take your word for it, but I still won't be trying it myself. One other thing - we'd have to assume that each cigar in a box were

exactly the same to begin with for this type of comparison to be valid.

While I probably will never douse my cigar...to each his own. Everyone has to do what makes the experience better for them...I too have a friend that I smoke cigar swith and he licks the entire cigar from head to foot. I noticed someone else mentioned this earlier in the thread. When I queried him on why he did this, he said, it was the way he was taught by his dad, and how his dad was taught by his grandfather. It has becaome ritualistic, even if no longer needed. But hey...if it enhances his experience, so be it.

I don't do it to keep the wrapper from splitting. I do it to make a young cigar taste more...?homogeneous?. The way MRN explained it was, the wrapper being a different age then the filler; a rinse will cause the rate of burn to be more in proportion with that of the filler.

This, in my humble opinion, is a total crock of crap. Perhaps the good doctor was PWI again.

Remember, this is the same guy who says the blends are different between Partagas Shorts in dress boxes and those in 50 cabinets.

If you actually detected a difference between rinsed and unrinsed cigars, I suggest you are succumbing to a placebo effect and/or are experiencing the natural differences between cigars within a box. Since one can never measure "taste" we will never know.

• Like 1

It may not be possible to accurately measure taste between two people, but surely someone can ascertain the difference for themselves. Do I want a rinsed cigar to taste better? Maybe I do? I would want to learn how to discern the necessity. Right now I only care enough to run through these steps to see if there is a difference. If it is truly beneficial I would probably not do it all the time. Do I dry box all the time? No. Do I wish that I dry boxed after starting certain cigars? Yes I have.

I realize this MRN character on ICC is just "a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude"1, and could be full of everything he's dishing out. But I had a question, I took the initiative to test three of my own cigars, and I posted my results. I'm not asking anyone to step in to a sweat box in the middle of a desert to find themselves. I'm posting my observations about facts that I know are real.

1. Robert Downey Jr., Tropic Thunder, 2008

But I had a question, I took the initiative to test three of my own cigars, and I posted my results.

I didn't see that you had posted results. On reviewing your original post, it appears that you tried to post a spreadsheet, but I am unable to read it on this computer.

I'm posting my observations about facts that I know are real.

While I cannot read your spread sheet, I am guessing that your conclusions consist of subjective judgments about how the cigars tasted to you. I am wondering whether you smoked the cigars simultaneously or consecutively. Either way, there are far more variables at play that might affect your conclusions than rinsed vs. not rinsed vs. saturated. These are, after all, agricultural products that simply cannot be 100% consistent from one to the next any more than one apple is identical to another -- even from a single tree.

I'm not assailing you for conducting your experiment and posting your results. It's rather entertaining. I am simply pointing out that your experiment proves nothing other than your subjective observations.

Thank you for your question. Yes, I did smoke all three at the same time. The non-rinsed cigar smoked fast forcing me to actively throttle or slow smoke as to not allow it to over heat. The most interesting thing about the experiment was to actively probe all three at same stage, because I could tell that I detected something in one, and go to the other to see if it was there. In some cases like the stewed fruit aroma it was present multiple times, in various stages, in two cigars. The most challenging thing was to maintain the burn on all three while taking notes and building my table in Excel, by the way is only a snapshot and not the actual spreadsheet.

I agree that this is extremely difficult to formulate in to Law. But you know and I know that we are only talking cigars here and there is my point. I'm only trying to stimulate conversation. If I wanted to serve you a crock of crap, I would at least cover it with a crouton and some melted cheese.

If I wanted to serve you a crock of crap, I would at least cover it with a crouton and some melted cheese.

LOL Thank you, but I am cutting back on cheese, anyway.

Honestly, I wasn't suggesting that YOU were handing us a crock. I was suggesting that WayneN (aka MRN) is dispensing nonsense advice -- again.

But it will never be proven one way or the other -- which was my point to begin with. Taste and aroma are subjective and therefore immeasureable. To subject a theory like this to scientific testing there would have to be (a) a way of measuring the end result in some numerical fashion; (:) a sufficent sample size to generate a statistically significant result; © double blind testing to eliminate the placebo effect and (d) the elimination, to the extent feasible, all variables other than the application of distilled water the the cigar wrappers.

I've said before that when it comes to matters of taste, nothing is provable. Yet it is true that, by consensus, certain works of art are considered "masterpieces." Scientific evidence is not required for such a consensus. And one day a consensus may develop that rinsing young Cuban cigars before smoking them makes the more "homogenous," whatever that means.

Personally, I enjoy my cigars right out of my humidor the way I store them. I won't be rinsing them. I won't be jumping for joy when I find one that has plumed. I won't be judging an entire box of cigars on the basis of smoking one. And I won't ever, ever, be trying to convince anyone that, if they don't enjoy exactly the same cigars as I do, they must have the palate of the proverbial billy goat.

So rinse away and enjoy, my friend!

I would at least cover it with a crouton and some melted cheese.

semery74, I will try this although I've never heard of rinseing

a cigar before :o But I never knock it before trying :)

then again , I love crouton & cheese and 2nd, my humidor and I

just got out of the shower and we're doing fine :P

Thanks for the info :D

I have heard of this technique, and generally dismiss it... But the science behind tobacco and cigars especially, is something to really be studied... I dont plan to ever try this, maybe if a video review pops up... I could try it with a cheap NC... ;)

An Old Hawaiian Uncle I really respect and admire for his quick thinking and common sense in many many areas does this consistantly. He wouldn't know a CC from an NC but he lollypops the entire cigar EVERY time before he lights it up, no idea why.

please keep us posted on results that are Consistant.

LOL Thank you, but I am cutting back on cheese, anyway.

Honestly, I wasn't suggesting that YOU were handing us a crock. I was suggesting that WayneN (aka MRN) is dispensing nonsense advice -- again.

But it will never be proven one way or the other -- which was my point to begin with. Taste and aroma are subjective and therefore immeasurable. To subject a theory like this to scientific testing there would have to be (a) a way of measuring the end result in some numerical fashion; (B) a sufficient sample size to generate a statistically significant result; © double blind testing to eliminate the placebo effect and (d) the elimination, to the extent feasible, all variables other than the application of distilled water the the cigar wrappers.

I've said before that when it comes to matters of taste, nothing is provable. Yet it is true that, by consensus, certain works of art are considered "masterpieces." Scientific evidence is not required for such a consensus. And one day a consensus may develop that rinsing young Cuban cigars before smoking them makes the more "homogeneous," whatever that means.

Personally, I enjoy my cigars right out of my humidor the way I store them. I won't be rinsing them. I won't be jumping for joy when I find one that has plumed. I won't be judging an entire box of cigars on the basis of smoking one. And I won't ever, ever, be trying to convince anyone that, if they don't enjoy exactly the same cigars as I do, they must have the palate of the proverbial billy goat.

So rinse away and enjoy, my friend!

Van,

I agree with you 100%, Personally, I think the good Doc might have been PWI (Again), I sat back the other day thinking about this and thought that the Doc must be sitting back Laughing his ass off at all the lemmings that were now rinsing their cigars because he said that it improved the taste in young cigars.