Lancero Blind Tasting

El Presidente

Van had the great idea of doing a blind lancero tasting to see if we could determine Cuban from non Cuban. Van selected the cigars, removed the bands and then shipped them to us. They rested close to 8 weeks in the humidor.

9 cigars in total .....three each of "A" "B" "C"

We completed the video Thursday and contacted Van with our answers.

Thank you so much Van!!!! It was a hell of a lot of fun ;)

I look forward to viewing the video review tonight when I get home, Van included me in this blind Lancero review and I have been waiting for those down under to be able to complete to chime in.

I will say that IMHO it was quite easy to determine which one was non-Cuban.

van, many thanks for a wonderfully interesting exercise. must say i am stunned by the 12 year old monte. never came close to that.

and no thanks to rob for stuffing up the smithy sting.

and guys, am i correct in thinking that don pepin is nic? do i win a prize? in truth, could not have been more of a stab in the dark.

but all up, great fun.

great review guys and thanks for setting it up Van. I just picked up some 01 Lanceros and I am glad that I did.

These tastings are not as easy as some of you think you really need to be born with a very good palete..

But there are others ways to tell to cap use to be one way but non Cubans now have them ,Wrapper or like Rob said the bunch of the tobacco.

But it all comes down to the taste for the most part well the after taste at least for me.

Good job guys..

Another Great review Gents!

What I would like to see is a true BLIND taste test, blindfolded. Remove at least one sense - the eyes. Not seeing the wrapper, conical burn, and ash would make it interesting. If nothing else it'd be a great video to watch.

Another Great review Gents!

What I would like to see is a true BLIND taste test, blindfolded. Remove at least one sense - the eyes. Not seeing the wrapper, conical burn, and ash would make it interesting. If nothing else it'd be a great video to watch.

good idea in theory but if you blindfold smithy, he is likely to end up with the cigar up his nose.

I look forward to viewing the video review tonight when I get home, Van included me in this blind Lancero review and I have been waiting for those down under to be able to complete to chime in.

I will say that IMHO it was quite easy to determine which one was non-Cuban.

tampa, how did you go? i'll be impressed if you nailed the monte.

The Monte analysis reminds me of the Monte 4's from '98 that I brought up to Brisbane to share with Prez and Smithy.

They were lifeless, uninspiring and well past their use-by-date. (I'm talking about the cigars btw :rotfl: )

The tasting video was more than worth the cigars I supplied.

I knew that identifying the non-Cuban as such would be easy. Mis-identifying the old Monte as a young Vegaros is surprising. I've had old Especiales that are fantastic, but it seems that box is past its prime.

By the way the Pepin Blue Label was Cigar Aficionado's #8 Cigar of 2008. The two that I have tried were much better on my palate than you guys found them to be. Sorry about that.

The Cohibas were from the infamous 2001 batch that had so many over-tight examples. These were reinspected in Germany by Cuban inspectors and were supposed to have no such draw issues.

Glad you had fun guys. I did too.

I have smoked many a CLE 01 Lanceros. They do seem to pattern as mild with a formidable draw in the beginning. About mid stream they really begin to open up and the final third is generally where there abundant but arguably monotonic flavor can be rated as uniquely classic Cohiba. They almost always start uneventful but as your palate acclimatizes the cigars' uniquely Cuban progressive construction makes this an all time favorite cigar.

****... I think I a gonna go grab me one!