Lancero Blind Tasting

El Presidente

Thanks again Van

The Monte was the only one that had me thinking twice. I swear I could have that same cigar 100 times and besides vitola, Montecristo Especial would never enter my mind. Absolutely not the slightest hint of coffee, cream, dusted cocoa.

To me I thought I was 100% right in that it was a 1998- 2003 Vegueros Especial. The herbal undertones, the grassy nature. I thought I had nailed it :nyah:

Thanks again Van

The Monte was the only one that had me thinking twice. I swear I could have that same cigar 100 times and besides vitola, Montecristo Especial would never enter my mind. Absolutely not the slightest hint of coffee, cream, dusted cocoa.

To me I thought I was 100% right in that it was a 1998- 2003 Vegueros Especial. The herbal undertones, the grassy nature. I thought I had nailed it :nyah:

Well, mate. Your first clue should have been knowing damned well that I wouldn't send you guys crap cigars -- at least not intentionally). I honestly thought you'd very much enjoy all three examples. I've rather liked the Blue Label, which I think is a Nicaraguan puro (standing to be corrected) as a change of pace.

Bruce (broozer) keeps telling me Vegueros are not crap and I have had a few stellar ones thanks to his insistance :nyah:

The Peppin was simply to us "B" Best constructed of the trio, nice wrapper, lovely aroma at cold. Naturally we had no idea of that it was ranked #8 by CA (then again they ranked Casa Magna #1).

To our palates (and we are brought up on a diet of 99.9% Cuban) it was below par. It may simply be that our palates are conditioned/wired to a certain profile. It might be we are trashing a cigar for completely unfairly. For those that have them, smoke one and compare it to our review. Would love to have your thoughts.

Back tracking fence sitter. If it tasted like crap, it tasted like crap - regardless of origin.

No need to assuage us poor unwashed masses.........

completely agree with colt's comments! how can you walk with fence posts stuck up your arse?

and i love the comment that the monte was the only one that had you thinking twice. oh, how we re-write history. none of us were in any doubt at any stage!! it was the third one where we went back and forward (mr trinnie???).

You may have hit on the key difference, Rob. I smoked 100% non-Cubans until 2002. Since then it has been about 96% Cubans. But the odd Nicaraguan or Dominican from time to time can still be enjoyable on my palate. I'm not saying you lot SHOULD have liked the Pepin. I was just saying I enjoyed the couple that I smoked far more then you did.

The problem with this taste test is that you smoked Cuban, non-Cuban, Cuban successively. I had little doubt that the non-Cuban would suffer greatly in the comparison like that.

The problem with this taste test is that you smoked Cuban, non-Cuban, Cuban successively. I had little doubt that the non-Cuban would suffer greatly in the comparison like that.

Probably right, but we only saw them as "A" "B" and "C"......we had no preconceived idea.

Ken, you are right that at the mid point of the third, Trini Fundadores crossed my mind. By the last third however it was clear it was a Cohiba Lancero.

By the way....you picked both #1 and #3 as "young" !LOL! Fair to say I called the last as a likely 03/04 and the first as aged.

We cut out of the review the section where you said we were smoking Lonsdales :nyah:

Probably right, but we only saw them as "A" "B" and "C"......we had no preconceived idea.

Ken, you are right that at the mid point of the third, Trini Fundadores crossed my mind. By the last third however it was clear it was a Cohiba Lancero.

By the way....you picked both #1 and #3 as "young" !LOL! Fair to say I called the last as a likely 03/04 and the first as aged.

We cut out of the review the section where you said we were smoking Lonsdales :nyah:

yes, correct - i was no more than a couple of years for both of them. and well out, especially on the monte. i have no idea about this lonsdales thing?

and "crossed my mind"? a bit like saying it crossed hitler's mind to invade poland!

:surprised:

And Warren didn't day a thing . . . .

What could I say really, I was smoking a superb R&J Churchill and didn't want it to end.

I did offer to throw out the occasional BS comment and pretend I new what I was talking about but I thought the panel was already having some serious credibility issues. :nyah:

It may simply be that our palates are conditioned/wired to a certain profile.

Without a doubt, this is a factor. Taste preference is, to a large part, learned just as language, perceptions of beauty, and sensitivity to variations in one's native environment. If this were not so, it would not be possible to explain why one culture enjoys fermented fish extract and another, 20 different kinds of olives. Between the extremes, there is a vast range of sensory territory where learning and acculturation carry out the lion's share of teaching us what we like.

Very nicely done review, Van and group.

Wilkey

The Monte analysis reminds me of the Monte 4's from '98 that I brought up to Brisbane to share with Prez and Smithy.

They were lifeless, uninspiring and well past their use-by-date. (I'm talking about the cigars btw :wacko: )

Funny you say that Rob, cause I was sitting down with Ayala on Friday evening just discussing the review and said the same thing about that Monte 4 we all smoked. All the flavour and structure had fallen apart and had none of those distinctive Monte flavours were there.

Captivating! Well done!

Thank you Van!

As soon as Ken started on the grubby/ash comments on cigar "B", I knew it was a Nic. Really summarizes why I am almost completely done with Nic's altogether. They are interesting for about the first 1/2" inch and then just turn into crap. (Padrons the only consistent exception, maybe a few others).

I am well impressed with your guys' calls, even with the old monte. (I don't think a monte aged past its prime being like a Vuegeros is that far fetched).

Would love to have seen a hi end Dominican in there (maybe for the next one?? :tantrum:

Totally reinforces my giving up of NCs for CCs.

Guest RobertU

Thanks for the review...great work guys! As someone who smokes probably 50/50 CCs and NCs, this was especially interesting. It's always funny to me that so many who smoke primarily or entirely NCs refer to Pepin's cigars as "Cubanesque." I've never found that to be true. They have their own flavor, completely distinct from CCs. I like the cigars he rolls for Pete Johnson the best of all his work (esp. Tatuaje and La Riqueza).

BTW, how on earth do you guys pair cigars with red wine? I've yet to find a red wine and cigar pairing that works, to my palate, anyway. Is there some trick to this?

• 2 months later...
Looking forward to hearing the responses as well.

i asked this q in my newbie intro and ken gargett agreed that only a few reds match with cigars. from my (limited) experience, wines don't have the structure to battle the tobacco and smoke of a cigar. obviously a lot of wines have excellent structure and power in their own right i just dont know if they are that suited to cigars.

go with a hoppy beer or a decent proof spirit. having said that i enjoy loosening up the palate with red BEFORE a cigar and something stronger

thats just me though, maybe its a personal thing, especially if great cigar palates like el prez/smithy go with wine during a cigar

• 1 year later...