Baltimore Bridge collapse

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The “explosion” seen in the video was most likely a combination of concrete in the pillar being pulverized and water splashing upwards. Very few things in this world have as much force behind them as

While is very difficult to change someones mind about things like this as someone who works in the steel industry and studied physics and metallurgy I would just point out that the steel did not melt.

Man, the internet is full of losers. Everything is a conspiracy. It must be difficult waking up every day afraid to look in a mirror.  If nothing else this should improve crash guards on critical

You said it Prez. Everyday is a gift. My family and I travel down I-95 to Orlando on the yearly. After seeing this, going through Jacksonville just became a whole lot more worrisome 😨.. Do hope for the best for the missing. 

• Like 1

Shocking that an entire bridge can be brought down so easily. Apparently the ship was under the control of harbour pilots, but reported they had lost control of the vessel. The anchor was dropped as per emergency procedures, but the vessel still hit the southern support column at around 6-7 knots. Luckily traffic had been stopped before the vessel hit the bridge when the emergency had been raised by the crew, otherwise there could have been more casualties.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

A strategic bridge to hit by accident.

Kind of what I was thinking. From an engineering standpoint, bridges do not "just fall" like that. Sure a "hit" section can get extremely damaged but that length? My second observation was that the video I saw showed a massive explosion when hit. Now from the cameras viewpoint  that I saw it hit containers. Not the ship. All of the fireworks packed up front? What am I missing here? Serious question.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Even if the whole bridge did not fall; any part of it falling is job done. Plenty of naval ships are stationed there. Not to mention the financial impact.

• Haha 1

Maybe, but bridges are designed to with stand multiple forces. Vertical, horizontal ( wind shear ) and uplift. Very interesting. I will sit back and watch this unfold. Kind of like watching structural steel melt from jet fuel heat.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

It's also the design of a continuous truss. And trusses rely pretty heavily on all the parts working together. You remove a critical support and trusses just crumble. It's a downside of the design, but allows for building a bridge of that size and length with less material and pillars, which when you are dealing with an estuary that big, kinda makes it easier. (Not a civil engineer, I am an engineer who had to take statics and dynamics, which involved building miniature bridges lol).

• Like 3

5 hours ago, SenorT said:

I hate that we live in a world where the immediate response is some sort of conspiracy theory. More likely Murphy and allocation of scarce resources. 

I hate it too, that's where politics and media playing us for fools for decades have taken us all around the World.

The only thing we do know for sure is that people died and this is tragic.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, SenorT said:

I hate that we live in a world where the immediate response is some sort of conspiracy theory. More likely Murphy and allocation of scarce resources

Yep. Beyond all the wild conspiracy theories, it's much more believable to me that it's the same reason planes are currently being made on the cheap. Cutting staff, cutting training. Cutting safety regulations. Cutting hours, cutting pay. = Corporate greed

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 99call said:

Yep. Beyond all the wild conspiracy theories, it's much more believable to me that it's the same reason planes are currently being made on the cheap. Cutting staff, cutting training. Cutting safety regulations. Cutting hours, cutting pay. = Corporate greed

Cutting staff, cutting training. Cutting safety regulations. Cutting hours, cutting pay. = Corporate greed

:rotfl:

In this backwater you need to take a course to use a ladder on any commercial site. It if it is 29 degrees and 75% humidity?.......under union (CFMEU rules), site closes down. I can post 50 more "safety" idiocies. 

so let's remove: Cutting safety regulations

Cutting staff, Cutting Hours?/Cutting Pay?  4.5% average wage increase last year in Pay. 10.1% in construction industry. 6.1% increase in paid hours worked over the year. 

https://www.abs.gov.au/statistics/labour/earnings-and-working-conditions/employee-earnings-and-hours-australia/may-2023

Productivity?  -3.9% 

I know who is taking who for a ride in this country. 

2 hours ago, El Presidente said:

this country

I'm not sure what is true for Australia, and I will take your word for it. 

In the UK wages in line with inflation have been stagnant for 20 yrs.

I don't know if it's true of the US, but up keep of equipment, safety procedures, training in the UK has been hulled out over 15 years of austerity. Everything is shambolic and only just about functioning. Yet the shareholders get a kings ransom come hell or high water.  Record amounts of shit pumped into the British waterways...here have a gold star.

I would be interested to see with what the investigation comes up with.

For the record. And we have covered this before. I'm not anti business, capitalism, efficiency/profit making. I am anti-cronyism, white collar crime, corruption, disaster capitalists etc. I simply think systems failure or greed is a lot more believable cause than wild conspiracy.

For example ridiculous right wing outriders are trying to suggest Boeings current problems are down to diversity hiring. Just pathetic toxic gas lighting. Of course it's nothing to do with the company cutting corners for more profit.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 99call said:

I would be interested to see with what the investigation comes up with.

Government was quick to say what it wasn't (malicious intent) without any investigation. How can they be so quick to say that? 

"Nothing to see here"

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Government was quick to say what it wasn't (malicious intent) without any investigation. How can they be so quick to say that? 

"Nothing to see here"

I'm sure it will be a case of, initial comment of there is no outstanding evidence of foul play. Then the cargo company will have to perform an internal investigation into all the steps and system/staff failures that led up to the crash. Needless to say it's unlikely top brass will be held to account, and some poor shmuck will get scapegoated.

17 minutes ago, joeypots said:

I heard that there was no evidence of malice known yet. We don’t know what happened and government officials, so far, have made that clear. It’s awful how a deadly disaster that will cause horrendous disruption to ordinary people and the country instantly inflames inherent bias and consequently political and racist conspiracy theories. Right now it’s an accident. There have been quite a few recent transportation failures, air, rail, road, and now maritime. Maybe we need a little more oversight around here.

What specific racist or political conspiracy theories are being promoted about this event?

14 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

What specific racist or political conspiracy theories are being promoted about this event?

Log on to Twitter, my man. It’s an absolute shit show.

The crew crashed because they’re Indian, the harbor pilots were DEI hires, the bridge was in disrepair because the mayor is black, it’s an ISIS attack etc…

My personal favorite was that the ships name coincides with one from a recent movie (it doesn’t) so therefor, Obama caused it.

You name it and someone is spewing it out and getting thousands of likes/retweets.

Matt Schlapp on Newsmax admits he's "no expert" but tries to blame the Baltimore bridge collapse on "drug-addled" employees and covid lockdowns

On Fox Business, anchor Maria Bartiromo falsely suggested the “wide-open border” could have something to do with the collision, a clip of which circulated on X. No link to immigration has been made by officials. 

Did I say, specifically that this stuff has been repeated here?