Tribute to Colt45

17 hours ago, yadegari6 said:

I’ll go ahead and share what I emailed to @Islandboy and @Glass Half Full regarding the first cigar I smoked from @Colt45. Though I never interacted with Ross, it is quite clear that he was one of the members that make this community very special. 

When rummaging around for a cigar to smoke today I decided to try the Rafael Gonzalez Corona Extra we received. At first on the cold draw and the first few puffs I thought this might’ve gone past it’s expiration date as it was musty and papery. Wow was I wrong as the flavors quickly rolled in. This ended up being an absolute powerhouse of a smoke full of flavor and complexity. It had quite a bit of spice, certainly much more than I’m accustomed to in Cuban cigars yet it was so perfectly balanced with interplays of floral, chocolate, cream, and toasted biscuit notes. It was incredible as each puff seemed to have some variation of these notes that were all different as the cigar progressed, no two puffs were the same. I can’t even imagine what these were like in their youth as this has the legs to go another decade in my opinion. Just a splendid cigar, certainly the most complex I’ve had in a while. In my top 3 of 2022 so far, cigars like this are what makes this hobby so exciting. Sad as this was the only one I received but now so excited to try everything else. You guys are in for a treat when you burn one. 

02244C3A-648C-4A31-88BF-0F7972A967B6.jpeg

Very good and underated sticks. I dont think they sold well due to the need for long term aging and many do not have the stock levels or patience. Glad u are able to enjoy Colt's cigars! 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

As a brief update, please know that one or two cigars from the Collection were tried, and the consensus seemed to be that another month's rest would be best given all of the travels and settling needed to allow the best outcomes, without rush.  Hopefully that all makes good sense.  

...In the meantime, seems to me that perhaps our host, Ken, and many others could lean into this past posting from @Colt45.  Far be it for me to opine, as I am a (relatively) newer member; but IMO it's both worthwhile and fun to learn from and about people with more knowledge, after all.  ...Isn't that why most of us partake here?  

Here's the link.  I hope this isn't too forward...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/20/2023 at 5:01 PM, Glass Half Full said:

Amazing what a different cigar this is when it gets some real age.

It's going to be a lot easier to age Cohibas since cigarmegedon. Thanks for the review.

9 hours ago, Islandboy said:

It should be noted that I had never experienced a des Dieux prior to this, but have certainly read many accounts of their legendary status. To say this cigar absolutely blew my mind would be a massive understatement.

Legendary and affordable. It’s tragic how many once easily obtainable fantastic cigars are now discontinued. The des Dieux is one of those cigars that could be had with a few years of box age at a price that wouldn’t break the bank.

Thanks for the review.

• Thanks 1

On 2/26/2023 at 3:26 PM, Glass Half Full said:

Enjoyed an HU Sir Winnie from @Colt45's collection this evening, said to be 2003.  

It sounds like we had pretty similar experiences with this one.

I heard an interesting comment from someone who recently saw a photo of this cigar from the collection, asking if this was a Sir Winston or a Monarca (or Monarch). Being the first I’d heard of the Monarca, I turned to the CCW for details. It indeed appears H Upmann offered 2 churchills, one being SW and the other being Monarca, and both were in production at the same time this particular band was used. So in other words, 2 identical looking cigars. I’m still sort of wondering if this was indeed the case, or if there was any way to tell one from the other. They even seemed to have similar flavor profiles, according to what little I’ve been able to find out. 

If I’m not mistaken, this may have been one of several cigars in Ross’ collection that was without a box, and required an educated guess to ID? I wonder if anyone here could shed any more light on this?

• Like 1