MoeFOH's Album of the Week... Week #21

MoeFOH's Album of the Week 🎶

Same as the movie thread, each week we're going to spotlight an album... be it a classic, new release, hidden gem, or outright turd... and open it for discussion: i.e. post up your favourite tracks, clips, lyrics, experiences if you saw live, etc... or dive deeper and give us a critique on why you think it's great, overrated, or a complete train wreck... And finally score it for us... :looking: 

All contributors go into a monthly prize draw for a 3-cigar sampler! :cigar:

PM me with suggestions if there's an album you want to nominate for next week's discussion. :thumbsup:

Week #21: Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road is the seventh studio album by English singer-songwriter Elton John, first released on 5 October 1973 as a double LP. The album has sold more than 20 million copies worldwide and is widely regarded as John's magnum opus. Among the 17 tracks, the album contains the hits "Candle in the Wind", US number-one single "Bennie and the Jets", "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" and "Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting" plus live favourites "Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding" and "Harmony".

It was recorded at the Studio d'enregistrement Michel Magne at the Château d'Hérouville in France after problems recording at the intended location in Jamaica. The move provided John and his band with a great deal of creative inspiration and an abundance of quality material was produced, leading to the decision to release the work as a double album (LP).

In 2020, the album was ranked number 112 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time. It was also ranked number 59 in Channel 4's 2009 list of 100 Greatest Albums.

The album was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame in 2003...

Over to you...

Who's a fan? How highly do you rate this album?

Thoughts, memories, experiences, favourite tracks...? 

Post em up!

Score it out of 10!

:perfect10:

• Like 2

This is another album I wore out the grooves on.  10/10 for me.  Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding still gets cranked up often.  Great album

• Like 1

If tracks one, two, and three didn't leave you stunned the first time you heard them, well....

I love Elton and believe that no one can play the piano and sing like like he can. I do think his albums are less memorable after GBYBR. I think the album is just one tick down from the greatest albums ever, there are songs on there that don’t quite hold up. Elton’s records are tad more uneven that the best of all R&R records and GBYBR is no exception. I’ll give it 9/10.

I do think Elton proves that some of the best North American country music artists are English. Earlier records with songs like Country Comfort and Texas Love Song prove the point, I think.

And if you want to hear a tour de force early Elton performance take a listen. 

• Like 1