Deep Dive: Diplomatico Number 2

El Presidente

Diplomatico Number 2   

97 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Diplomatico Number 2 

There haven't been too many around of late but most of you are familiar with the Diplomatico Number 2 as it has been a forum favourite for many a year. 

I think the Dip 2 reached a whole new level around 2014/15. They were coming out of La Corona factory at the same time as the Diplomatico Bushido Regional and by Jesus those Dip 2 were special. :party:

Let's talk Diplomatico Number 2. 

• Do you like Diplomatico Number 2?
  • Where does it stand compared to other similar cigars. 
  • Have you noticed a blend/flavour/body change over the years? If so, approximately when?
  • How long does it take you to smoke a Diplomatico Number 2?
  • Do the poll!

Diplomatico Number 2! :cigar:

CLICK HERE FOR OTHER DEEP DIVES 

I had some really good boxes of these but haven't had one since my 2015 box I think, which is sadly now gone. Very consistent, enjoyable and unique flavor profile. I probably preferred the Dip 3 as far as intensity of flavor, but the Dip 2 was always a good change of pace pyramid.

The blend definitely was stronger in the mid teens, though I had a box from 2006 that was really special.

Dip 2 has been described to me as sweet potato and bready which I tend to agree in a good example. 

Someone also told me they were blended to be a little brother to Mon 2 and when a Dip 2 is not on point, they do remind me of a generic Mon 2 which is what fooled me on the Blind Competition last year... It had nothing to do with me and the other FOHers having smashed a few bottles of rosé wine before we gave it go :cofcig:

Dip 2s are one of my all time favorites!  They sit in my rotation as a specialty cigar when I want a treat of something unique and I have the time.  The signature flavor I expect is Capsicum / Green Pepper - can be very faint and the best are very strong capsicum.  If it doesn't have that flavor, as others have said, its more of the Monty 2 sibling flavors.  My wife thinks I'm weird when I get excited over getting strong Capsicum out of one.  

Typically takes me over an hour and 30 minutes to smoke a Dip 2.  The stronger the capsicum, the slower I smoke, to enjoy its very unique flavors.  I've gone slightly over 2 hours on a very well rolled one.

They sit in my display humidor between the Partagas Lusitania's (savory baking spices) and the Monte 2's (sourdough bread and cream) I only have 4 boxes, with the oldest being 2018 (what I'm currently smoking) and I think these are just now hitting their peak.  Beautiful, well-burning smokes at ~ 4 years old.  Unfortunately, I can't compare them with anything older than that!  The 2019 and 2020 boxes are stunning lookers with oily wrappers and I have great hopes for those as I haven't tasted one yet and am just letting them gracefully age.

With today's price and availability - I have to make these Dip 2 boxes last a while.  Luckily, it's a pretty big commitment of my time to pick a Lusi, Monty or a Dip 2 - so they don't get chosen often.

• Like 1

That EML run of 2014/15 Diplomaticos No.2 were indeed special. That continued on into 2016 with some great TOS Dip 2s. Every time they appeared on 24:24 at that time, they quickly disappeared for good reason!

• Like 1

What I would describe as a gourmand blend.  Similar to that of a Bolivar no 1, RGPC, Sancho Belicosos or Trini Coloniales.  Not in exact flavour notes, but that its simultaneously doing multiple things at the same time.  Floral aspects, with sweetness, but also distinct savoury umami aspects. 

I love the Diplomaticos blend... especially as (for me) its unique in the world of CC's in it's ability to put off a lavender, furniture polish note.   This is a really comforting aroma, and reminds me of visiting National Trust properties, where a smorgasbord of ageing leather and timber, put off a very distinct scent. 

Never really bought into the Monte 2, Party 2 lovechild thing.   I see shades of it, but I think is sells the Dip 2 of it's true character. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JohnS said:

That EML run of 2014/15 Diplomaticos No.2 were indeed special. That continued on into 2016 with some great TOS Dip 2s. Every time they appeared on 24:24 at that time, they quickly disappeared for good reason!

2016 TOS Diplo is my "wedding anniversary" box. 

• Like 3

These remind me of chewing on the leather laces on my glove when I played outfield in little league and had nothing else to do.  The darker, the tastier for me.  A little bit of sweetness to go with that leather, under medium body and over medium flavor.  They do seem to last a little longer than most Piramides for me.  75-90 minute smoke.

• Like 4

I've got a 2020 box that so far tastes like basically nothing. I got some peanut butter on my last one, but I don't get the hype. Not buying again.

This is the first Deep Dive cigar I can say I am not a fan off.  Smoked them going back 20+ years and have never once made me want to buy a box.  Some, especially in the last few years looked like works of art.  Even those were unappealing.  Not a dislike, but not a like either.  I like just about all the cigars Habanos makes.

Glad to do a trade if someone wants to change my mind

• Like 1

The first Dip 2 I ever tried I didn't like. Nothing in particular, but I just didn't 'get' it. 

Although I haven't smoked a ton of them, it is a cigar I seem to enjoy the more my palate and cigar experience develops. 

Unfortunately, it seems it's a cigar that's not always consistently available (at least where I am) so it's a cigar I feel I haven't had enough time to get to know. So for me I've not had the 'eureka' moment with it, but have by no means written it off yet.     

These smoke like a mix of Monte & Party, creamy with some spices

They always seem to devote some of the nicest wrappers to Dip 2s...the RAT run of 19-20 was absolutely glorious looking, lots of rosato w/ sheen