Deep Dive: Punch Punch

El Presidente

Punch Punch   

119 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Punch Punch 

For a long time I didn't get the Punch Punch. It was a decent enough cigar but one that would seldom take me to any great heights. 

Then 19/20/21 came along and it has become an absolute staple. There are few more flavoursome cigars out there for me. 

Let's talk Punch Punch

• Do you like Punch Punch?
  • Where does it stand compared to other similar cigars. 
  • Have you noticed a blend/flavour/body change over the years? If so, approximately when?
  • How long does it take you to smoke a Punch Punch?
  • Do the poll!

Punch Punch! :cigar:

CLICK HERE FOR OTHER DEEP DIVES 

• Like 1

There was a grouping of them back in 2010ish that started to show what I believe they were always meant to be.  Before that it was straight pencil lead and not much else I could find I liked very much.

I bought a box from here in 2016 maybe that smoked so well they didn't last but 3 months in the coolidor.  I think I have a recent box purchase or two from there that I have yet to touch.  One of these days, I am sure they will sharpen my pencil, no pun intended, as in be very damn good.

the upside of these crazy prices right now is i am digging deep into the cooleradors ... and finding some hidden gems

couple nights ago i found about 10 punch punch ca. 2015

and they have become pretty nearly almost amazing in the 5 years since i last sampled them 🤨

Has regained it's position as a top Corona Gorda since around 2015-2016. They were in the gutter for over a decade. The last good one I had had was from an 03 50 cab (in 2005) All were ok but one was spectacular. So they were pretty much cooked by 03. 

They're a little light for me but certainly complex and balanced. When at their best I would buy them but not typically in my rotation. I enjoy the 48 more. 

• Like 2

They weren’t a favorite when I got the Cuban cigar bug but they have consistently improved over the last decade and I’ve smoked a lot of them. Great cigar, great vitola. I stocked up in the last year as the threat of price increases began and then materialized.

49 minutes ago, Chibearsv said:

Punch is becoming one of my absolute favorites.  I've started smoking a box of Punch Punch and I'm having a hard time keeping out of it.  For me it's got a blend of cream, leather, fruit, and a bit of spice that is delicious.

Side note: I've also got a fresh box of Punch DC that I've cracked into and WOW are they good.

Trying my hardest to not crack my DC box just yet..we will see. But agree--the PsdP and Punch Punch I've had recently have been amazing. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jakebarnes said:

Trying my hardest to not crack my DC box just yet..we will see. 

I was almost hoping they weren't going to be as good as they are.  Kiss mine goodbye.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@El Presidente was thinking it could be good addition to the deep dives a question in the poll about optimal smoking age / development. I posted on the EPI 2s thread yesterday to that end and probably can help land even further the flavor profiles, etc. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PuroDiario said:

@El Presidente was thinking it could be good addition to the deep dives a question in the poll about optimal smoking age / development. I posted on the EPI 2s thread yesterday to that end and probably can help land even further the flavor profiles, etc. 

Let me see how  I can incorporate it :thinking:

There will be plenty of members with less than 2-3 years experience in that cigar. Hard to form an opinion. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

Let me see how  I can incorporate it :thinking:

There will be plenty of members with less than 2-3 years experience in that cigar. Hard to form an opinion. 

Fair enough. I thought could be a good guiding post for many, including for some of us who have aged cigars previously but not across all our inventory or not long enough in the game as to have aged tobacco for long enough at a consistent rate / scale. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Haven’t had the Punch Punch but I am about to be on the hunt for a box. I’ve become a huge fan of the Short de Punch. Has a hint of chili spice underneath everything that just lingers on my palette for hours afterward, and a divine oily texture. If the Punch Punch is anything similar, I’m sure to love it!

• 5 months later...

I’m not an old cigar smoker so I can’t chime in on the earlier versions of the Punch Punch. That being said, I’ve fallen in love with young ‘21 & ‘22 Punch Punch’s. Flavor powerhouses of green/grass leather and everything lovable about young cigars. I’ve also recently gotten my hands on a few 2016 sticks which smoke beautifully, hitting with a rich cream & nutty flavor, a completely different smoking experience than young ones. Call me biased for being in love with the vitola, but Punch Punch is one I would smoke regardless of the age on it as it’s enjoyable regardless! 

• 10 months later...

I enjoy the spice notes in this cigar. Have only smoked them from boxes with up to 2 years age on them. Have read in FOH posts that a good target age for them is 3-5 years, which I’ve not yet experienced. Does the spice intensify, hold, or fade at the 5 year mark? Some cigars such as Hoyos develop more cream with 5 years down. What happens to the “Punch spice” in the Punch Punch with 5 years down?

• 4 months later...

I just got a box from El Prez. I had never had one before, but know they are held in high regard. Glad I stumbled on this thread and it'll prove helpful when I finally dive in.

I bought a box of "LAU MAR 17" and they were and still are one of the most blandest, flavorless and mildest Cuban cigar that I have ever smoked.  🤮

I would rather spend my coin on my favorite H Upmann Connoisseur Number 1.😍:cigar: