MoeFOH's Movie of the Week... Week #16...

MoeFOH's Movie of the Week 🎥

Each week we're going to spotlight a movie... be it a classic, new release, hidden gem, or outright turd... and open it for discussion: i.e. post up your favourite quotes, clips, memories... or dive deeper and give us a critique on why you think it's great, overrated, or a complete train wreck... And finally score it for us... :looking: 

All contributors go into a monthly prize draw for a 3-cigar sampler! :cigar:

PM me with suggestions if there's a movie you want to nominate for next week's discussion. :thumbsup:

Week #16: The Departed (2006)

Wiki says: The Departed is a 2006 American epic crime thriller film directed by Martin Scorsese and written by William Monahan. It is both a remake of the 2002 Hong Kong film Infernal Affairs and also loosely based on the real-life Boston Winter Hill Gang; the character Colin Sullivan is based on the corrupt FBI agent John Connolly, while the character Frank Costello is based on Irish-American gangster Whitey Bulger. The film stars Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon, Jack Nicholson, and Mark Wahlberg, with Martin Sheen, Ray Winstone, Vera Farmiga, and Alec Baldwin in supporting roles.

The film takes place in Boston. Irish Mob boss Frank Costello (Nicholson) plants Colin Sullivan (Damon) as a spy within the Massachusetts State Police; simultaneously, the police assign undercover state trooper Billy Costigan (DiCaprio) to infiltrate Costello's crew. When both sides realize the situation, Sullivan and Costigan each attempt to discover the other's identity before they are found out.

Over to you...

How do you rate it? Favourite scenes?

Best moments?... etc, and so on... post 'em up!!

If you've seen it, give us your score out of 10!

:perfect10:

• Like 4

Love this movie. Mark Wahlbergs character is my favorite. Best line, “I’m the guy that does his job, you must be the other guy”  Great minds… @RichG 😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Chibearsv said:

I’m the guy that does his job, you must be the other guy

I concur, and also I fantasize about saying this at work at least once a week.

Honorable mention goes to “…what’s the matter smart ass, don’t know any Shakespeare?”

• Haha 1

It's one of the better remakes of an Asian film. I enjoyed it, but was consistently thinking, not quite as good as Infernal Affairs. Which, apparently, no one in my circles new about, nor cared to look into after.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Fuzz said:

Infernal Affairs is better.

fuzz, both great but i concur. i'd seen internal affairs before i saw departed so i had a fair idea what was coming and i am sure that diminishes it to a degree. but still a cracking flick. 

Some great points here in regards to the film and it been a remake of Infernal Affairs. What I wanted to add that it was this movie that gave Martin Scorsese his very first (and so far only) Best Director Academy Award at the age of 64. Yes, that's right...he didn't get his first one for Taxi Driver, Raging Bull or Goodfellas!

How about the rat face? Jack is one of the greatest, no doubt.

• Like 1

So, funny story. When I watched it in the theatre I didn't know it was a remake of Infernal Affairs. So the whole time I'm like ... I feel like I've seen this movie before, but that's not possible.

I was about halfway through when it became blatantly obvious it was a remake.

I think it was really good, but I prefer Infernal Affairs tbh. 

I recently watched this in a "re-watch". Like traveller I think I was a bit confused the first time around. But I really enjoyed it on the second watch. 

Jack Nicholson is one of my favourite actors. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and The Shining are two of my favourite movies.