peat-influenced whiskies etc...

Ken Gargett

For a heavy peat Lagavulin 16, lighter Oban 14 and Highland Park 18.  Rotate thru these 3 fall to spring. Highland not always avail so need to stock up when I can. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

i know some love them and some do not. personally, love that character. 

so what are the favourites? 

not just from Scotland. peat-influenced whiskies from ireland, australia, japan; bourbons, ryes etc. keen to hear some thoughts and suggestions. 

Ken, I'm like Mike. I like bonded whiskey. I can old grandad bonded for $23 I can get buffalo trace for $35. Old grandad is a better whiskey, anyone who says different is under a spell..

Not a fan of peat, but mainly because so many producers don't seem to be able to do it with any sense of finesse.

Glen Scotia Victoriana = is the ideal degree of smoke for me,  i.e. just a touch, and it's balanced out with unusual powdery sugar notes.

Benromach 10 = Very interesting expression of peat as it's comes through with a very maritime almost smoked kipper like delivery

Laphroaig Lore  = I can enjoy the smoke, as the rest of the whisky has interest and balance

Lagavulin 16 =. Whilst I don't like it,  I really do appreciate it.   It's flavour and expression seems to communicate something fundamental about Scotland and Whisky.  I think every lover of whisky has to try this at some point in their journey

Springbank =  For me the unique flavour of Sprinkbank is in the Larch wash barrels.  when doing the tour you can really smell the influence of that timber.  The pairing of the smoke with that dank larch resinous smell,  is really interesting 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

My favorite style of peated single malt is that of Caol Ila 12 and Ardbeg 10. It’s the meaty, campfire core that I really like. Lagavulin 16 is a bottle I always keep in stock, but I have to be in the mood for it’s sherry’d finish.

• Thanks 1

If you're craving for 'Full Monty' peat, go for Ardbeg Corryvreckan.

Sweat peat, Laphroaig Cairdeas Pedro Ximenez 2021.

Medium peat,  Caol Ila 12 .

Soft peat not from Islay, Glenlivet Cairdeas peated cask and Benromach 10.

Sherry bomb no peat, Glen Allachie 15, Aberlour A'Bunadh, Arran Bodega sherry cask.

I can probably go on and on ...

• Thanks 1

I'm at the bottom of first Benromach 10. Mild peat. This is nice.

I don't like Laphroaig or Ardberg or bunnahabhain or Bowmore.

About to crack into this. The description is much more up my street. Suggested by a Scotchland buddy.

PXL_20220303_110157096.jpg.2a7b3dbe741eceb8b03301758cd17aba.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I’m a big fan of subtle peat. Kilkerran 12 was my go to until the price jumped 50%. I’m not a big fan of young Islay’s, but the best scotches I’ve ever had were 20+ year Ardbeg’s (22 and 23 twenty something’s. Absolutely heavenly!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...