peat-influenced whiskies etc...

Ken Gargett

Westland Peated American Single Malt and McCarthy’s Single Barrel Cask Strength are two offerings from the PNW (US) that I’m quite fond of. The McCarthy’s especially. A powerful dram with no lack of peat expression.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I have very little personal experience with peated whisky outside of Scotch, interested to see some suggestions.

For me some of the standard go to smoky drams would be Laphroaig 10, Ardbeg Uigeadail and Lagavulin 16.

When I want something a bit lighter with just a touch of smoke I reach for Oban 14.

• Like 3

I remember first discovering the difference between peaty and non-peaty whiskies. Not being much of a drinker I'm sure I came across both while younger and probably had no idea what the peat was!

I can totally understand people's aversion to the peat. It's a very, very pungent characteristic. Strangely enough I actually can enjoy them right along with the non-peaty ones. I had a friend who could do whiskey all day long but would start to gag if he even got a whiff of Islay.

Of course, in the US, Lagavulin 16 is the value standard. Outstanding, deep peat and I think $60 at Costco. Then of course the trusty Laphroaig 10. I hear Laphroaig 30 is the gold standard for Islay. Unfortunately, I've never had it. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, RichG said:

Ardbeg Uigeadail

Yes, I forgot that one. I don't drink really at all anymore but that one brings me back. Excellent value, and if you want to understand what is meant by a "finish" in whiskey, that one is amazing.

Kilkerran Heavily Peated and most things Ardbeg are usually what I go for when i'm looking for something peated. My absolute favorite is Ardbeg 22 but that's basically impossible to get outside of their distillery.

I used to love peaty until i picked up cigars again. I find the tastes don't go well together so peaty days are for my smoke free sessions 

Oh can't believe i forgot to mention basically anything highland park

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

brilliant stuff, guys. keep them coming and we'll have a great record. i know it is a topic that pops up occasionally. personally, laphroaig, ardbeg and lagavulin are definite favourites. but it did strike me that the were plenty outside Islay that might be worth investigating. 

42 minutes ago, RichG said:

I wish I had a Costco with booze. Pretty sure I am paying around $100 for this near me.

I have a Costco near me and if it was $60, I’d be drinking it much more often. Usually around $100 for me at the local liquor stores.

Lots of good Expressions mentioned already, but an extra nod to the Yoichi, which I find has a more mild balance of smoke and salt versus typical Islays..  If you can find it, the Balvenie 14 Week of Peat is one of my past favourites, as it’s got the classic Balvenie core of honey and vanilla, with an earthy smoke to compliment.  

• Like 1

Just now, El Presidente said:

Yes. they took to me pretty hard with the "sin stick" when I was all of 5,6 and 7years of age. 

I am not a fan of the popes attack dogs.  :cofcig:

you know my view on the brides (and religion in general) but may be, just once in a while, they had cause.

My last encounter with them was in Spain at an airport. Seriously, has anyone ever trusted a nun since ‘Blues Brothers’? Long and orderly line to check in at the airport, but it is moving and I have time to spare. Then, up comes a bunch of nuns and cuts straight in. I have no idea what the collective noun for nuns is – a ghoul of nuns? – but why? They were in no rush – I saw them inside hours later – but they still had to shove into the line. Bugger all those not wearing hoods and bling who’ve stood in line. Christ himself should not be cutting the queue, so his brides definitely not. But in they go, big smile. Don’t think that smile absolves you. There’ll be some serious questions when you lot front St Peter. You won’t be waltzing by like it is an airport queue. And pointy end, ladies? Well, why not. Those pesky poor would only spend it on food and shelter.  

i have digressed. 

I remember first discovering the difference between peaty and non-peaty whiskies. Not being much of a drinker I'm sure I came across both while younger and probably had no idea what the pest was!
I can totally understand people's aversion to the peat. It's a very, very pungent characteristic. Strangely enough I actually can enjoy them right along with the non-peaty ones. I had a friend who could do whiskey all day long but would start to gag if he even got a whiff of Islay.
Of course, in the US, Lagavulin 16 is the value standard. Outstanding, deep peat and I think $60 at Costco. Then of course the trusty Laphroaig 10. I hear Laphroaig 30 is the gold standard for Islay. Unfortunately, I've never had it. 

If you can get Lagavulin 16 for $60, we might need to work something out…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

you know my view on the brides (and religion in general) but may be, just once in a while, they had cause.

My last encounter with them was in Spain at an airport. Seriously, has anyone ever trusted a nun since ‘Blues Brothers’? Long and orderly line to check in at the airport, but it is moving and I have time to spare. Then, up comes a bunch of nuns and cuts straight in. I have no idea what the collective noun for nuns is – a ghoul of nuns? – but why? They were in no rush

...their brooms must have been in the shop. 

5 minutes ago, Shrimpchips said:

Balvenie 14 Week of Peat is one of my past favourites, as it’s got the classic Balvenie core of honey and vanilla, with an earthy smoke to compliment.

Thank you…will definitely be hunting this down. Sounds excellent.

4 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

...their brooms must have been in the shop. 

i still remember a previous trip to Spain. on one of those amazing freeways. i am going pretty close to the limit - 130 km/hr. a decrepit little tiny old car is coming up on me at serious speed. overtakes me going i have no idea how fast. i can't believe the car goes let alone goes at that speed. i look as it goes past. bunch of nuns in it. the one driving bent over the steering wheel with her 'flying nun' hat jammed on. terrifying. 

26 minutes ago, Bearcore said:

If you can get Lagavulin 16 for $60, we might need to work something out…

It may be higher now--I haven't looked at the price lately. It may be up to $70 or $75. I'll check next time I'm there. 

I recall it was about $45 the last time I bought it in 2012 I think.

I'd add Octomore, Port Charlotte, and the new Mars Tsunuki Peated from Japan to the list.

For the old faithfuls from Islay, I would recommend seeking out Lagavulin 12 yo (annual release), and their limited releases for the Islay Jazz Festival or Feis Ile (just not the 2017 moscatel-finished one).  For Laphroaig, the Elements of Islay independent releases under the Lp code (Bletchley Park level coding there) are well worth the premium.

PS. I’m also surprised that there’s not more love for Caol Ila and Talisker. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1