MAESTRO DEL TIEMPO 5205 Talk me into it!!

• 2 months later...

A lot of people say warped has lost its way. I tend to agree. I liked the Futuro when it came out, but they too went downwards with age. Lirio Rojo were pretty good five years ago when I smoked some. Don  Reynaldo are still good in the box I have.  I think they source a lot from Aganorsa, which for me produces uniformly bland smokes. 

• Like 3

On 10/20/2020 at 5:17 PM, El Presidente said:

I have often proposed that instead of knifing them, put them on a rotating 3 year production run. SLRDC/Boli Gigantes/Serie A/Tainos  would all be good for a 200,000 stick run each.  

Is that what Upmann does with Sir Winston?  They seem to come and go and aren't necessarily available each year.  If that's what it takes to keep churchills alive, I'm all for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a 5205 yesterday - it was excellent.  I'm relatively sure the single sat in my local B&M for a bit, but this was an incredibly complex and enjoyable long and skinny. Raspberry, butter, cookie, bread, chocolate, coffee, nuts, cinnamon.  Warped also has this chalky like consistency in their flavor delivery and I got that here and there with this stick.  That's been unique to them in my experience. 

Buy with confidence based on this fine example!

20210102_125540.jpg

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, TTP21 said:

Just had a 5205 yesterday - it was excellent.  I'm relatively sure the single sat in my local B&M for a bit, but this was an incredibly complex and enjoyable long and skinny. Raspberry, butter, cookie, bread, chocolate, coffee, nuts, cinnamon.  Warped also has this chalky like consistency in their flavor delivery and I got that here and there with this stick.  That's been unique to them in my experience. 

Buy with confidence based on this fine example!

Many thanks for the heads up,  yeah definitely looks like an appealing stick to me,  Sadly just as I was about to take the plunge, my only source stopped selling to the UK, because of the new Covid Strain. 

I will definitely give them a go in the future when all this is over. 

Thanks for the review

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

So..........many moons later.  My first NC cigar (for 22 years). 

Queen Elizabeth was insistent I paid double for this box.........oh well!   it's her Jubilee Year,  maybe she can spend it on food for her Corgi's. 

My thoughts.   Not worth what I had to pay, but definitely a great cigar for the $190- $200 mark. 

Wrapper aroma has me sneezing, A surprise to me, not including Nudies, haven’t had and NC in 2 decades. The aroma is reminiscent of a party 898 forest floor type tannin heavy profile, tempered with a bit of buttery nuttiness.

Cold Draw.      A worrying amount of PVA glue, after a month in transit, I imagine the box has been pretty baked, but the cedar stinks of sour, latex PVA glue.  Almost fishy.     But you can taste the cigar trying to get through, again, barnyard, forest floor,  Brazil nut oiliness.

Opens with a burnt herbaciouness,  like when sage leaves hit the BBQ.  Masses of smoke, great draw.  A little bit of SLR Regios cowpat.   Something a little animalic in this blend, roasted meats.   Big pinch in the retro.   Lots of stuff here that mirroring current 2020 2021 Regios.    I wouldn’t say its got that berry tang, but it’s got nice astringency, matching the current era of weak party 898s.  I lovely medium body.    Touches of PVA from the box, which is annoying

2nd 3rd.  I’m getting a nice bit of walnut skin sourness, and the nuttiness to go with it.  Impressive that they are able to advertise walnut notes and actually deliver.   Sweetness and  caraway seed entering the fray, along with an increased richness, viscosity of smoke.      I little bit of cloying acridity, but I think that is the box glue.    Interesting.    Getting something that’s remanisent of Sancho Panza, but it’s not marine driftwood, it’s  that smell of hot seaweed in the sun at low tide.   I actually quite like it,  it’s a new one on me.    It adds a nice bit of umami to the mix.     Little touches of dull mint, always a sign of good quality tobacco to me.    Ample smoke

Definitely got that wet leaf mulch tannic heft that the 898s pack,  I think if you missing 898’s this is a defo good option as a stand in.     Hasn’t got the power of a pre 2009 898 but definitely post 2008.    Interestingly no pinch on the retro now,  even though it’s gotten stronger/heavier in body.

Getting pretty dry and cotton mouthed in the Final 3rd, but that’s not a criticism.    Quite a linear cigar. Nice luxurious buttery smoke, but strangely arid on the palate

I think the nicest thing about this cigar is the opulent richness of the smoke, and the balance it has with the tannic astringency.  That said, this is all that’s there in the back end, no sign of sweetness or interesting notes.    It’s hinting at that buttermint that the Nudies have in spades, but it’s right on the fringes, it only just detectable.

Conclusions.  Has elements of the SLR Regio and Party 898.   Satisfying cigar.  would really benefit from a touch more sweetness.   Smoked ROTT so maybe not at it's best,  fingers crossed that they sweeten up.  Well blended.   I can see how people see these as 'Cubanesk'. 

Points 89/90 smoked ROTT

IMG_20220524_113431_307.jpg

IMG_20220524_113555_452.jpg

IMG_20220524_142219_616.jpg

IMG_20220524_144110_960.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, 99call said:

So..........many moons later.  My first NC cigar (for 22 years). 

Queen Elizabeth was insistent I paid double for this box.........oh well!   it's her Jubilee Year,  maybe she can spend it on food for her Corgi's. 

My thoughts.   Not worth what I had to pay, but definitely a great cigar for the $190- $200 mark. 

Sadly I think you've missed the peak of this cigar release. I saw a prophetic comment previous in the thread:

On 12/23/2020 at 10:54 AM, Wookie said:

A lot of people say warped has lost its way. I tend to agree. I liked the Futuro when it came out, but they too went downwards with age. Lirio Rojo were pretty good five years ago when I smoked some. Don  Reynaldo are still good in the box I have.  I think they source a lot from Aganorsa, which for me produces uniformly bland smokes. 

Every year we've reviewed Warped cigars since 2019 the scores have continued to decline, sadly.  Once of the top boutique brands in the market. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Cigar Surgeon said:

Sadly I think you've missed the peak of this cigar release

I did look a loads of reviews, and saw the diminishing enthusiasm for these cigars.   I just wanted to give NC a go, and the brand/line was sort of stuck in my head.    I think Oliva Melanio Lanceros is the other box I will buy,  but to be honest it's given me a hole new level of appreciation for the Nudies line. 

• Like 1

I tend to enjoy the blends that are made of Aganorsa Tobacco. The construction of the cigars coming out of Miami are really good but I'm just a sucker for Tobacco from Aganorsa. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cigar Surgeon said:

Sadly I think you've missed the peak of this cigar release. I saw a prophetic comment previous in the thread:

Every year we've reviewed Warped cigars since 2019 the scores have continued to decline, sadly.  Once of the top boutique brands in the market. 

I thought the Absurd was up to Warped standards for sure. Also, although it is polarizing, I love the Chinhalle. If there is any doubt about Warped's current level, check the Nicotina. Amazing. I got them for $6.00 a stick. Outrageous. Just bought the brand new Eagles Decent LTD release for $6.20. Will report when they arrive. At that price, I had to try. 

Jason

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 99call said:

I did look a loads of reviews, and saw the diminishing enthusiasm for these cigars.   I just wanted to give NC a go, and the brand/line was sort of stuck in my head.    I think Oliva Melanio Lanceros is the other box I will buy,  but to be honest it's given me a hole new level of appreciation for the Nudies line. 

Some which have stood out for me on their own two feet have the illusione cg:4 naturals and the old blend of Winston Churchill Lancasters, used to come in a red tin in the UK, blend change a few years ago when the line rebranded but I'd be surprised if done weren't still knocking about.

I'd quite happily puff away at either and get at least 89/100 experiences, pushing into the low 90's regularly

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hoepssa said:

Fan of Kyle here, too much limited release recently, he has talent to create some regular items making all of us wow, somehow he didn't.

Spot on. Obviously a talented blender but the "fame" got to him and now he is trying to one up HSA with limited this and limited that thinking people will run around paying huge premiums to collect limited edition stuff. Who knows maybe people will! I too am in the camp that believes the overall quality/flavor of warped cigars has gone downhill. 

14 hours ago, JLH said:

I thought the Absurd was up to Warped standards for sure. Also, although it is polarizing, I love the Chinhalle. If there is any doubt about Warped's current level, check the Nicotina. Amazing. I got them for $6.00 a stick. Outrageous. Just bought the brand new Eagles Decent LTD release for $6.20. Will report when they arrive. At that price, I had to try. 

Jason

@Cigar Surgeon  Hahahaha ... I went back and rewatched your review of the Chincalle. You guys obliderated it. Well that is exactly how my smoking buddies feel about it. I on the other hand, have the palate of a yak. I hope you guys have or are going to smoke the Nicotina. Curious as the others thoughts. That said, a few months of open air in the humidor really did help the cigar. 

Jason

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, JLH said:

@Cigar Surgeon  Hahahaha ... I went back and rewatched your review of the Chincalle. You guys obliderated it. Well that is exactly how my smoking buddies feel about it. I on the other hand, have the palate of a yak. I hope you guys have or are going to smoke the Nicotina. Curious as the others thoughts. That said, a few months of open air in the humidor really did help the cigar. 

Jason

Naw mid 5's for everyone but Seth. For us that just means the cigar is average and the experience should no different than a rando cigar you grab off the shelf.

Have smoked the Nicotina and the recap video is recorded and scheduled to post. Spoilers: It was just inside the good category. So enjoyable, but I feel like it's still well below the levels that some of the past Warped stuff has been which was well into the high 6s even low 7s.

18 minutes ago, Cigar Surgeon said:

Naw mid 5's for everyone but Seth. For us that just means the cigar is average and the experience should no different than a rando cigar you grab off the shelf.

Have smoked the Nicotina and the recap video is recorded and scheduled to post. Spoilers: It was just inside the good category. So enjoyable, but I feel like it's still well below the levels that some of the past Warped stuff has been which was well into the high 6s even low 7s.

Cool. I'll look out for it. I have the same impression over the last few years. When I dig out my La Colmenas, Relatos and Don Reynalodos, I am reminded why I went crazy for Warpted back in 2013. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JLH said:

Cool. I'll look out for it. I have the same impression over the last few years. When I dig out my La Colmenas, Relatos and Don Reynalodos, I am reminded why I went crazy for Warpted back in 2013. 

Slowly whittling down my El Oso Papas and Don Reynaldos. Will be very sad when those are gone.

On 5/27/2022 at 3:34 PM, Cigar Surgeon said:

Any recommendations for those of us that enjoyed the older Warped’s profile but would like to try something new? Thanks. 

• Like 1