Another questionable shenanigans...

pedro849

So today I went to the liquor store to get some bourbon. I walked by their humidor and peeked inside. I usually don’t pay any attention since they over humidify, and not interested much in NC at this time. I saw they had Cohiba Siglo 6 for sale. I’m in the US. So out of curiosity I had to go in! The box was from 2008 and selling for $40 a stick. The caps didn’t look right, colors not uniform and not really sure on the bands since the bottom squares were cut off and I don’t know if those bands were out in 2008 for the siglo 6.
 My dilemma is this: I have a good relationship with the managers and they take care of me with my bourbon needs. Should I have asked them more about the authenticity? Or if it was illegal to sell Cubans in the US? I don’t want to cut off the hand that feeds me!

BTW, didn’t want to spend too much time inspecting them and took only 1 pic

D90C5FCB-7CE3-471E-B097-C021F7A96DC1.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Jeanff said:

Hard pass for me...

I would hint at it with the owner/manager but wouldn’t push. I’ve witnessed people get quite offended when they get told they own fake cigars.

best of luck!

I don’t have any stake in this. I would hate for them to get in trouble....

That band was not even on Cohibas until 2012 on the pyramids extra and most other Cohiba's until 2014. I can't say if they are Cuban cigars or not but guarantee they are not 2008 Siglo 6. And if they were legit 2008 Siglo 6, why would it have a band not on regular release Cohiba's until 2014 ?? 

• Like 1

The cigars look brutal and the new bands started on Siglo VI’s around 2014. Those aren’t something your likely to buy and if you value the service for the liquor I’d just let it go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Stick with the bourbon and what he doesnt know isnt hurting him. Telling him is a dick move. Those floor scraps are probably better than the kuba kuba that he has in there on the other 4 shelves that he sells for $25 a pop. 

We all know those arent Cubans so he is not going to lose his business. He probably has a whole box of bands behind the counter.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mikeltee said:

Stick with the bourbon and what he doesnt know isnt hurting him. Telling him is a dick move. Those floor scraps are probably better than the kuba kuba that he has in there on the other 4 shelves that he sells for $25 a pop. 

We all know those arent Cubans so he is not going to lose his business. He probably has a whole box of bands behind the counter.

I completely agree! I’ll stick with the bourbon and let it be. 

It all comes down to how much you're bothered about other BOTLs being duped. I guess - and booze or not - I couldn't hold my mouth kept shut.

@pedro849 you may consider blurring part of the price sticker, for the shop's name could be identified from it.

• Like 4

Is it possible to fake bourbon? if so I would be very leery of this retailer.

In my mind, it's a huge red flag regarding their integrity. If they are willing to knowingly sell fake cigars just to turn a fat profit, what else are they willing to do?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rupe said:

Is it possible to fake bourbon? if so I would be very leery of this retailer.

In my mind, it's a huge red flag regarding their integrity. If they are willing to knowingly sell fake cigars just to turn a fat profit, what else are they willing to do?

exactly my thoughts. 

18 hours ago, Mikeltee said:

Selling fake cigars is a dick move, for sure. But help me understand how telling him the truth is a dick move?

Just like drugs, selling a fake doesn't matter. If you sell an undercover cop a pound of oregano or a pound of weed, you'll get the same punishment. Intent is very important. 

40 minutes ago, Corylax18 said:

Selling fake cigars is a dick move, for sure. But help me understand how telling him the truth is a dick move?

Just like drugs, selling a fake doesn't matter. If you sell an undercover cop a pound of oregano or a pound of weed, you'll get the same punishment. Intent is very important. 

for me, agree. not a dick move at all.

from the above, the bloke has a humidor, even if not a well-kept one. so he presumably knows something about cigars and he certainly, without question, knows that he is breaking the law selling cubans. now he either knows they are fake or has been fooled. if the latter, he still knows he is breaking the law - up to individuals how seriously they take that. if he is deliberately selling fakes then he is deliberately shafting customers and that is grubby. either way, he does not come out of this well and is not someone i would trust. and that would extend further than selling cigars. if he will break the law or dud customers with cigars then he'll do it with bourbon or anything else. 

• Like 2

On 2/23/2020 at 3:56 PM, Corylax18 said:

If you sell an undercover cop a pound of oregano or a pound of weed, you'll get the same punishment. Intent is very important. 

Not even close.  Intent matters...but lab results matter more... (ask me how I know)

Disclaimer -- I am only licensed in NC and CA...It can still be a crime but its no where near the punishment of the real deal and usually focuses on the fraud aspect as opposed to the drug aspect.

Second Disclaimer -- No attorney client relationship is formed by reading this post :)

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, HarveyBoulevard said:

Not even close.  Intent matters...but lab results matter more... (ask me how I know)

Disclaimer -- I am only licensed in NC and CA...It can still be a crime but its no where near the punishment of the real deal and usually focuses on the fraud aspect as opposed to the drug aspect.

Second Disclaimer -- No attorney client relationship is formed by reading this post :)

That's why a good lawyer matters!

I went to college with a Kid that sold a "white powdery substance" to an undercover officer and was still convicted of Possession with intent to distribute and the CDS charge despite the fact that he only had baby laxative in his possession. It was weighed and bagged for sale, but obviously not a CDS. The guy was obviously a moron though. Didn't get a lawyer, still paid in the long run. 

• Like 1