New Cuba travel restrictions imposed by US

Guest Nekhyludov

Royal Caribbean gets the gold. They're giving option of 50% off to everyone on the new itinerary as compensation for their inconvenience/dissapointment OR a full refund. 

• Like 3

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Royal Caribbean gets the gold. They're giving option of 50% off to everyone on the new itinerary as compensation for their inconvenience/dissapointment OR a full refund. 

I thought that People to People was banned for individuals two years ago, but you could still visit Cuba under Support for the Cuban People. This announcement doesn't seem to change that bit, but the

Until you try to get more than 10 cigars through Mexican customs...

11 hours ago, chris12381 said:

Last cruise ship pulled out our Havana Harbor a little over 2 hours ago.  Photo is courtesy of Patrick Oppmann, CNN's correspondent in Havana. 

Screenshot_20190605-141031~01~01.png

Keeping things in perspective, cruise ships will still visit Cuba. It’s simply cruises with point of origin from the USA that will not. Not exactly the last ship. The last American origin ship (for a while) perhaps.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ethernut said:

Keeping things in perspective, cruise ships will still visit Cuba. It’s simply cruises with point of origin from the USA that will not. Not exactly the last ship. The last American origin ship (for a while) perhaps.

Any ideas where those other cruises leave beside USA?

6 hours ago, Ethernut said:

I'm not sure there are any cruise ships that fly an American flag, so presumably they could all still go to Cuba, just not with any US citizens?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, chris12381 said:

So is Carnival. And MSC.

Only Norwegian...

And Norwegian has finally relented. 

Edited by La_Tigre
Change of policy

3 hours ago, bpm32 said:

I'm not sure there are any cruise ships that fly an American flag, so presumably they could all still go to Cuba, just not with any US citizens?

The way I’m understanding it, if any ship owned by a cruise line docks in Cuba, none of the ships operated by that line will be allowed to dock in the US. As always with this subject, I could be wrong. 

• Like 1

Guess Ill just drive the 20 miles to the Mexican border and fly from Tijuana.. The fares are cheaper than leaving here anyway.. Easy solution!

Until you try to get more than 10 cigars through Mexican customs... :(
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Lotusguy said:

Until you try to get more than 10 cigars through Mexican customs... :(

True, but my focal point of going is to see the culture and history of the island.. Cigars would take a slight backseat.

4 hours ago, TNT009 said:

True, but my focal point of going is to see the culture and history of the island.. Cigars would take a slight backseat.

Try to plead your point to the U.S. Treasury. Good luck.

On 6/4/2019 at 10:14 AM, SenorPerfecto said:

I thought they banned people to people in 2017? This doesn’t look like much of a change. 

I live in S. Florida. A friend of mine just went on a cruise from Lauderdale to key west for a day then the ship went to Cuba and docked for a day and a half. He did as much as you can on the island for that time. He returned last Saturday. A couple of other guys flew there this year but that’s the end of that this past Wednesday.

On 6/6/2019 at 3:56 AM, chris12381 said:

Yep.

On 6/6/2019 at 9:42 AM, LLC said:

I would guess a change in the itinerary would be grounds for a refund if the point of you going was to see Havana.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you'd think that would be the decent thing for them to do but i'd bet the small print more than covered forced itinerary changes. 

On 6/7/2019 at 6:25 AM, Shelby07 said:

The way I’m understanding it, if any ship owned by a cruise line docks in Cuba, none of the ships operated by that line will be allowed to dock in the US. As always with this subject, I could be wrong. 

i think you are probably very close to spot on. would not matter what flag - liberian, carribean, whatever - the issue is simply going there. those ships then have to deal with the problems imposed by the US. not just the ships, the companies behind them. so it can extend to ships that have never been near the US. and the problem for those wanting to visit is that the companies will cave rather than run the risk. 

7 hours ago, Homer said:

Royal caribbean is still sellin cruises to cuba. I dont understand.

I’m not sure how this works.  What do they do about the cruises that are already booked for Cuba, but are not completely full?  Maybe they are allowed to fill up those ships?

29 minutes ago, SigmundChurchill said:

I’m not sure how this works.  What do they do about the cruises that are already booked for Cuba, but are not completely full?  Maybe they are allowed to fill up those ships?

No cruise ships from the US period.  No grace period. No grandfathering.  Over immediately. 

7 minutes ago, Monterey said:

No cruise ships from the US period.  No grace period. No grandfathering.  Over immediately. 

Why does it say this in the article in the OP?

“The new restrictions take effect Wednesday, but the government will allow anyone who has already paid for the trip to go ahead with it.”

I have seen that in other articles I have read too.

2 minutes ago, SigmundChurchill said:

Why does it say this in the article in the OP?

“The new restrictions take effect Wednesday, but the government will allow anyone who has already paid for the trip to go ahead with it.”

I have seen that in other articles I have read too.

That only applies to people flying to cuba under people to people group tours.  If you made plans, you can still go.   All people, regardless of when you booked your trip, going by cruise ship are being rerouted to different locations.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/cuba-travel-restrictions-leave-some-american-travelers-limbo-n1015376

On 6/8/2019 at 5:24 PM, Monterey said:

Huh?  Little has changed in flying to Cuba

I stand corrected........you just would have to put down a BS excuse.

Travelers must cite the reason for travel when checking in for their flights. They include: family visits; official government business; journalistic activities; professional research and meetings; educational activity and religious activity.

Others include public performances, clinics, workshops and exhibitions; support for the Cuban people; humanitarian projects; private foundation, research and educational institute activities; the import and export of information; and authorized export transactions.