New Cuba travel restrictions imposed by US

Guest Nekhyludov

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Royal Caribbean gets the gold. They're giving option of 50% off to everyone on the new itinerary as compensation for their inconvenience/dissapointment OR a full refund. 

I thought that People to People was banned for individuals two years ago, but you could still visit Cuba under Support for the Cuban People. This announcement doesn't seem to change that bit, but the

Until you try to get more than 10 cigars through Mexican customs...

Guest Nekhyludov
On 6/4/2019 at 3:14 PM, SenorPerfecto said:

I thought they banned people to people in 2017? This doesn’t look like much of a change. 

It's becoming increasingly difficult to keep track of what exactly is banned this week/month/year. :rolleyes:

I thought that People to People was banned for individuals two years ago, but you could still visit Cuba under Support for the Cuban People. This announcement doesn't seem to change that bit, but the ambiguity and confusion is a strong deterrent considering the overall direction and tone of the current US policy. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, HDGSN said:

So cruises are now banned for those that have not already paid

1 more day.  6/5/2019 is the official day.  So everyone needs to book a flight or cruise today.  Wonder how many people are rushing to get in one last trip or two.  I have 2 :) 

2 hours ago, Santiago said:

I thought that People to People was banned for individuals two years ago, but you could still visit Cuba under Support for the Cuban People. This announcement doesn't seem to change that bit, but the ambiguity and confusion is a strong deterrent considering the overall direction and tone of the current US policy. 

Yes it doesn't look like SFTCP has changed at all. BUT who knows what the enforcement officers are being told now? We have been hearing different and stricter customs tales from those returning from Cuba in the last 6 months or so... they have leeway for what to do with you and your goods other than the official list of reasons to travel to Cuba...

correct me if Im wrong but from what I can tell, support for the Cuban People is still one of the 12 reasons you can go. So that means there is little effect on those of us that book AIRBNB and use that reason. 

I dont think we need to go and book flights today because you can still go under the 12 categories. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Santiago said:

Edit: Section 15 explains that while individual people to people travel was removed in 2017, group people to people educational travel has been allowed until now and is being removed 6/5/2019

Additionally, It looks like they have revised Support for the Cuban People to be more restrictive, however still vague in what constitutes promoting independent activity

What constitutes “support for the Cuban people” for generally authorized travel and other transactions?

This general license authorizes, subject to conditions, travel-related transactions and other transactions that are intended to provide support for the Cuban people, which include activities of recognized human rights organizations; independent organizations designed to promote a rapid, peaceful transition to democracy; and individuals and non-governmental organizations that promote independent activity intended to strengthen civil society in Cuba. In accordance with the NSPM, OFAC is amending this general license to require that each traveler utilizing this authorization engage in a full-time schedule of activities that enhance contact with the Cuban people, support civil society in Cuba, or promote the Cuban people’s independence from Cuban authorities and that result in meaningful interactions with individuals in Cuba. OFAC is also amending this general license to exclude from the authorization certain direct financial transactions with entities and subentities identified on the State Department’s Cuba Restricted List. The traveler’s schedule of activities must not include free time or recreation in excess of that consistent with a full-time schedule in Cuba. For a complete description of what this general license authorizes and the restrictions that apply, see 31 CFR § 515.574. [11-08-2017] UPDATED June 4, 2019. Questions are current as of the dates indicated below.

4 hours ago, SenorPerfecto said:

I thought he banned people to people in 2017? This doesn’t look like much of a change. 

Nope. It's a big change. I went on a P to P visa this spring.

2 hours ago, Monterey said:

1 more day.  6/5/2019 is the official day.  So everyone needs to book a flight or cruise today.  Wonder how many people are rushing to get in one last trip or two.  I have 2 :) 

Flights are not affected, just cruises.  You can still buy flights after tomorrow. You just cant use people to people.  But you can still use Support of the Cuban People as revised in the post above.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, SigmundChurchill said:

Flights are not affected, just cruises.  You can still buy flights after tomorrow. You just cant use people to people.  But you can still use Support of the Cuban People as revised in the post above.

agreed.  Things are coming out fast and furious.   Perhaps there will be no real change for us flying under support of the cuban people.  However, even if there isn't, perception of travel could cause a huge drop in people going which would cause airlines to start canceling.  Back in 2017, the changes spooked Alaska Air and they ended all service to Cuba.

We had been talking about a cruise there in July anyway.  Really debating if I buy it tonight or we just wait and see if I can fly there in the future again.

And the stupid part is it's not the cigars, I get those here lol.  I want a HN ashtray and I want to see the place.  although this trip was just Havana, I want to see it.  Sigh.

1 hour ago, Monterey said:

agreed.  Things are coming out fast and furious.   Perhaps there will be no real change for us flying under support of the cuban people.  However, even if there isn't, perception of travel could cause a huge drop in people going which would cause airlines to start canceling.  Back in 2017, the changes spooked Alaska Air and they ended all service to Cuba.

Writing is on the wall. If private planes from USA are banned, commercial is next. 

Had some friends leaving next Friday on a Royal Caribbean cruise.  She got the email an hour ago that they were diverting to Nassau.  I had arranged for Jorge to show them the city and to pick up some customs from Alex. I'm not sure who is more disappointed at the moment.

Sounds like there is no grandfather clause in the cruises.  I've heard from three friends who were booked on cruises who are diverting to other ports of call. It effective...mañana. 

48 minutes ago, chris12381 said:

Sounds like there is no grandfather clause in the cruises.  I've heard from three friends who were booked on cruises who are diverting to other ports of call. It effective...mañana. 

Damn, no grandfather clause? I wonder what’s going on with cruises already underway?

5 hours ago, bmf30180 said:

Had some friends leaving next Friday on a Royal Caribbean cruise.  She got the email an hour ago that they were diverting to Nassau.  I had arranged for Jorge to show them the city and to pick up some customs from Alex. I'm not sure who is more disappointed at the moment.

I was just planning rccl cruise to Havanna next winter. The ships that cruise to Havanna are oldest and smallest of all. Prices are higher than regural cruises in the caribbean. I would be furious if I would have paid higher prices for the Havanna and they would change it to Nassau?

Those going under the Support for the Cuban People better be prepared to have their itineraries and "proof" completed... you can be "audited" up to 5 years after trip.  I can see the administration taking more notice after the people to people tours are done. 

I was just planning rccl cruise to Havanna next winter. The ships that cruise to Havanna are oldest and smallest of all. Prices are higher than regural cruises in the caribbean. I would be furious if I would have paid higher prices for the Havanna and they would change it to Nassau

I would guess a change in the itinerary would be grounds for a refund if the point of you going was to see Havana.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, LLC said:

I would guess a change in the itinerary would be grounds for a refund if the point of you going was to see Havana.

So, yes, we got boned ?. NORWEGIAN CRUISE LINE ? 

Our overnight in Havana became 8-5 in Nassau and 8-5 in Freeport. Then we go to the originally scheduled Norwegian private island.

NO REFUNDS. NO CANCELLATIONS.

0C4A61E3-39DE-4A48-B968-67E3383C0BE0.jpeg.db7e17fdade0393ebb78faf383982248.jpeg

I’m sure it is part of the terms of the contract of carriage that they can change the port for any reason at any time. However, the whole sales point on this transaction is about the wonders of Cuba (and the only real destination). We booked this less than a week ago.

Carnival cruise lines did the right thing and offered full credit towards a future cruise or a refund instead of trapping their guests.

We’ve spent $1200 on plane tickets that I can use later with southwest. But if we don’t go on the cruise, we get nothing. “Standard cancellation policy will remain in effect”

Cuba adverts completely scrubbed from the Norwegian website....