UV Protection for...cigars?

Simple question: Would UV protection film on a window help protect cigars from sunlight?  Or is it useless?

Longer question:  I have cigars in a walk-in humidor with glass french doors.  There is another window to the outside of the house that is closed most of the time; however, there are times I'd like to open it, which would potentially cause sunlight to reach my french doors and hence precious cigars.  Will UV protection on the walk-in humidor french doors do anything to protect them?  Would it do a lot to protect them?  Any other solutions?

Thanks!

28 minutes ago, Cayman17 said:

Light and heat damage wine, so I would apply the film for peace of mind. 

So the heat is not a problem (it has its own cooling unit).  I'm just wondering if it's actual light or is it the UV rays that light gives off?

30 minutes ago, Riverstyx said:

I'm worried that if I apply the film I still have to worry! 

This has “The Worry Song” by Joe Walsh written all over it.... 

34 minutes ago, Riverstyx said:

So the heat is not a problem (it has its own cooling unit).  I'm just wondering if it's actual light or is it the UV rays that light gives off?

I was referring to sunlight so yes, I would be concerned about uv rays

Think about what sunlight can do to a deck or siding of a house. Car paint. Interior furnishings through windows. I'd never considered it because I don't store my cigars (or wine) that way. I think you are right to be concerned.

17 hours ago, Riverstyx said:

Perhaps I’ll just cover the cigars in sunscreen. 

SPF 5000 :D

If you can't or don't want to move the humidor, and if it wouldn't spoil the look or decor, some double sided cloth mounted inside the doors - light facing out, dark facing in.

I've heard of sun grown wrappers, but never sun aged wrappers - maybe you're on to something....

Or maybe.... ©®™C45!

Visited one of the high end stores in london, think it was Davidoff or Dunhill. I remember they had the cigars out in a display with examples of each next to each other for reference. And they were all bleached and anemic looking because each display had its own florescent light directly above it.

So yeah, direct sunlight for long periods would definitely be a bad idea

• Like 1

I have definitely in the past seen pictures of old cigars stored for a long time in a humidor, where the parts of cigars exposed to light for very long periods have had their wrappers bleached by UV, in only the areas exposed to light. If I could find a link I would put it here, but I can't seem to find one.

36 minutes ago, Riverstyx said:

I will likely keep some boxes open for display.  

Light does affect things, but it takes a LONG time. I’d imagine that your display cigars will be smoked before that happens, unless you’re setting up a museum. And your original post says your window will be closed most of the time. 

Unless there are other factors that you haven’t described, it seems that logically and intuitively you have nothing to worry about. 

• Thanks 1