Auction Snipping...Do You Do It?...Do you Despise It?

With the introduction of FOH auctions, I am curious as to people's opinions on auction sniping. I don't find anything particularly objectionable about it. I don't necessarily enjoy having it done to me but as long as I am paying attention to my auctions, it is not really much of a problem.

As the title suggests, to snipe or not to snipe, that is the question. If you despise it, why?

Should auctions be set up to prevent it or is it just part of the auction world?

I completely lack any sort of gambling gene, which makes me shy away from even auctions. But I see sniping as a fair strategy that’s just part of the game. The alternative is the implementation of rules intended to level the playing field. Where’s the fun in that?

• Like 1

Very common in online auctions. The problem is the "professional" snipers in live floor auctions.

The bastard is paid just to raise the max bid and as a professional he knows when to stop. But live floor auctions is another game. And a dangerous game if you are not cold enough to play it.

• Like 1

I've sniped and been sniped hundreds of times over the years on eBay.  It's just part of the game.  Anyone who complains about it must be a total noob to online auctions IMO (not that there's anything wrong with that).

• Like 2

Realistically, we all have a maximum price we are willing to pay for an item regardless of when you place the bid. So It doesn’t really matter if you bid early or snipe. Unless of course the item is invaluable to you or you bidding for the purpose of competing for the item, and not the item itself :rolleyes:

• Like 1

If I am being rational I will place a bid on eBay for the maximum I am willing to pay. If I am outbid so be it. Most of the time I lose my mind and go well above what sober me would be willing to spend. So watch out Cohiba 1966 on FOHauction cause you can call me Carlos Hathcock

• Like 2

I do all sorts of bidding on auctions.  On eBay I use proxy bidding tools for the last 30 seconds of an auction. 

Some wine auctions I'll drive the bid up early to where I just get outbid and someone else is paying full boat on it.  Risky as I might end up the high bidder, but that's rarely the case.   Most of the time I wait to put my bids in on the last 10 minutes.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bundwallah said:

I prefer it to an initial bully bid that sends an item above its value too soon. Unless I'm the seller. ?

Personally, I like the bully bid. ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

I'll drive the bid up early to where I just get outbid and someone else is paying full boat on it.

And the EGO wants to win! ??????

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jal154 said:

And the EGO wants to win! ??????

yup, and I am bottom feeder looking only for deals.  I don't need anymore wine or cigars, but twist my arm on a deal!

Yeah part and parcel. I don't like the automatic sniping programs that used to be frequent on eBay a few years back, that's just cold and morally objectionable... it's just cheating. 

But that seems to be not spoken about anymore so I'm guessing it's been expunged via software updates on eBay's side of things

• Like 1