the world's healthiest country

no disrespect to spain, as i love visiting the place and go as often as i can, but i'm stunned it is the healthiest country in the world (perhaps some of the spanish told porkies when it got to the cigarettes/tobacco question). but i'm delighted. another reason to visit. 

also a bit surprised we are 7th. 

Bloomberg’s Healthiest Country Index Ranks Spain Number One

A very high lifespan, high life expectancy at birth and a commitment to the Mediterranean diet are all factors that helped Spain rank at the top

Bloomberg’s Healthiest Country Index Ranks Spain Number One

Bloomberg recently published a report on the world’s healthiest nations, and which country topped the list? Spain.

Spain received an impressive score of 92.8 on a scale of 100, according to the Bloomberg Healthiest Country Index, which takes a look at almost 170 different countries and analyzes the factors that impact health such as access to clean water and sanitation as well as life expectancy. Countries are penalized based on issues such as obesity and tobacco use.

Spain received its top score due to several factors. For one, Spaniards are expected to have the highest lifespan by 2040—86 years—according to the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation at the University of Washington. Moreover, Spain has the highest life expectancy at birth in all the European Union and ranks third in this category worldwide, according to the United Nations. Additionally, deaths from cancer and heart disease have declined in Spain during the last decade, and doctors there offer preventive services to the elderly, women and children.

Another important factor is diet. A study from the University of Navarra Medical School has determined that people who ate the Mediterranean, and specially olive oil, as they do in Spain, had fewer cardiovascular problems than people who simply eat a low-fat diet.

Italy came in second in the ranking, followed by Iceland, Japan, Switzerland, Sweden, Australia, Singapore, Norway and Israel in the top ten. Last year, Spain ranked sixth.

Bloomberg’s Healthiest Country Index Ranks Spain Number One. Fernando Madariaga / @ICEX

Also surprised Spain #1.  Isn't it also a very cigar friendly country? Certainly a factor. ?  I visited when I was in high school and even at that age, I appreciated the beauty and culture.  Would love to go back someday and visit some of the cigar lounges. (And see some of the other sites.)

I would have assumed Scandinavia would dominate the list.  I don't want to know how far down the list the US is...

I am slightly surprised that you can jump from #6 one year to the top of the charts the next. But it seems some what of a future projection and improvements over a decade

26 minutes ago, HabanosNJGuy said:

Also surprised Spain #1.  Isn't it also a very cigar friendly country? Certainly a factor. ?  I visited when I was in high school and even at that age, I appreciated the beauty and culture.  Would love to go back someday and visit some of the cigar lounges. (And see some of the other sites.)

I would have assumed Scandinavia would dominate the list.  I don't want to know how far down the list the US is...

If we even made the list I'd be surprised haha

"Last year, Spain ranked sixth."
In a study like that I would expect slow moves. 
I thought France would be in top 10. 

It might be Frances love of butter vs Olive Oli that is the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've always found Spanish people to be some of the most open, warm and friendly people around, with very little exception. I am sure that this attitude to life also plays a big part in longevity. Any nation that de-stresses itself with an afternoon siesta gets the thumbs up from me!

3 hours ago, LLC said:

It might be Frances love of butter vs Olive Oli that is the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, FireMedic said:

That's a good point

2 hours ago, 99call said:

See .......butter

I confess I didn't know that and apparently everybody does.

Fun fact: the butter we use at home is french.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Yeah, I heard it too, and for a long time I didn't understand why Spain is considered the most beautiful country. And one day I decided to fly to Spain and personally check it out. Spaniards really have a common Mediterranean diet, which includes the use of olive oil and extra-class nuts. And they also like to walk. I was struck by this. I tried a lot of local food, and was amazed by their cuisine. I especially liked their gazpacho. Such a hearty but healthy meal. I asked the chef for a recipe, and he said that with keto recipes I can prepare many dishes of Spanish cuisine. I can't wait to come home and try something to cook.

I booked two trips to Spain yesterday. Barcelona in October for a week with the family, and Seville/Jerez/Malaga for a long weekend the week before for a food trip with a chef friend of mine. I don't plan on either trip being particularly healthy!

I'm surprised that Spain is top of the list, though the food is healthier than many places. One of the big differences I see in Spain is that the supermarkets don't sell frozen or prepared meals, other than the odd frozen pizza, and the fruit is very good. And you have to go looking for butter. In Irish supermarkets butter nearly gets its own aisle.

Having said that, I've travelled to Spain nearly every year for the last 20 years and I see people getting fatter, kids too.

I've always been in love with Spain. It's the only place that I'd leave my beautiful desert for.

I've lived in Bilbao, and I've gone back via those English conversion programs (saves me room and board and I only drop airfare).

If someone hasn't been yet, go. Absolutely recommend it if you're a hedonist. If you're boring go to Bavaria. 

• Like 1