Pre Embargo cigar tins

14 minutes ago, CaptainQuintero said:

You know, I've been looking in charity shops etc for a decade now and only seen one cigar related thing; an old NC macanudo dress box, and it was £15!

Haha, I would suggest maybe changing your tactics, at least fly to Spain first then haunt charity shops.

Great pics, thanks.

Why are tins not such a great idea?  Is it just that they don't hold any buffer moisture?  I often see "vintage" humidors for sale that are tin or copper lined, and I assumed there must be something to it, but I never really put much though into why...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, slowsmoke said:

Why are tins not such a great idea?

Early tins were poorly manufactured, and were susceptible to corrosion, In addition lots of them, had poor quality lacquer put on them (like the Upmann one featured)

Don't get me wrong, they would be great low coast, light weight option to buying in, but obviously not to store in.

I think before Zino Davidoff revolutionised cigar storage/humidification, lots of unfit for purpose options were used. 

25 minutes ago, aphexafx said:

Some quick research places those tins circa 1890.

I'm sure some are earlier than I suggested in the OP, I was affectively just trying to illustrate that the tin option was prevalent with 'clear havanas' and early cigars,  but then they appear to become a great deal rarer, less popular to use, buy the time you get to the 1920's-60s era. 

Some of these Tins were made by the 'American Can Co'.......maybe with increasing tensions, the availability or arrangement in manufacture became too difficult? 

23 minutes ago, 99call said:

This vitola name seems to be ascribed to lots of tin can cigars......strange

5 minutes ago, 99call said:

I'm sure some are earlier than I suggested in the OP, I was affectively just trying to illustrate that the tin option was prevalent with 'clear havanas' and early cigars,  but then they appear to become a great deal rarer, less popular to use, buy the time you get to the 1920's-60s era. 

For sure!  I was pointing out the date solely towards finding out more about the vitola.  It's difficult to judge the scale, but based on the depth of the lids, I don't think they were as small as the name might suggest.  Interesting as hell.  I'd love to find one of those Punch Lilies tins.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 99call said:

I saw that Zarragozana one sold the other day, I assumed it was your good self? maybe not?

Not. I let it pass w/o a bid. Didn’t speak to me I guess?  A little corny, I know.  The search goes on. 

• Like 1

:surprised:  Oh - these were just the tins - nothing in them?

• 4 years later...
  • 3 months later...