Dragonskin wrapper

2c2b8823e7fd8781e06a7ab91f2dae4d.jpg

fad1b5fa5f1946c333e4118535adbe96.jpg

The most unbelievably fire-retardant wrapper I’ve ever encountered. It refused to burn from the get go! The fillers have all burnt and recessed a little and the cigar does taste really good for the first few puffs but the wrapper did not budge a millimeter. Not even under full attention of the torch lighter!

Amazing stuff. Now if only I could reproduce these organic fire retardant material to create truly sustainable and organic fireproof materials!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yikes!  In another thread today I half jokingly called out an asbestos wrapper on what was probably just an over-humidified cigar.  I take it back.  That's incredible.  I've never encountered anything like what you have there.

Under-ripe?  Under-fermented?  :blink:

2 hours ago, Ritch said:

. Yet others out the box smoked fine.

That is the amazing thing. The wrapper would be from the same bale. 

I have no idea how that could even happen 

Any theories?:looking:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, El Presidente said:

I often think that it's actually the binder not burning. The best wrapper doesn't burn if you got a thick, fire-proof binder unmderneath. And the binder will not be selected as meticulously as is the wrapper leaf.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Fugu said:

I often think that it's actually the binder not burning. The best wrapper doesn't burn if you got a thick, fire-proof binder unmderneath. And the binder will not be selected as meticulously as is the wrapper leaf.

This is what I have often suspected as well.  The wrappers on cuban cigars are too thin to be the culprit all on their own. 

7 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Excess chloride in the soil will produce tobacco that won't burn.  Perhaps the grower used the wrong fertilizer.  Potassium Chloride is commonly used in agriculture to add potassium (K) to the soil. However, you can't use it for tobacco crops because it yields flame-proof leaf.  

7 hours ago, Fugu said:

I absolutely agree with you. Poor binder gets away with a lot!

I will hit a fireproof cigar maybe 8-10 times a year. That gutted feeling when you stare at a cigar that just won't stay lit or where it canoes to kingdom come.  It is generally a box/batch issue however. The box will predominantly burn the same way. 

In this case it was a single rebel as the others from the box burned fine. 

Bottom of the pile discarded binder used?, last cigar made for the day? I would point the finger at roller lack of interest. 

• Like 1

So!

In the name of science!

I took the cigar apart and torched the individual leaves.

The filler burned easy naturally!

The wrapper would turn black but would not catch fire!

The binder also would quickly go from red ember to black!

How bizarre!

For those who asked, these are tubos from a lounge, kept at 19 Celsius 65-69 RH for almost a year!

I have some old Exhibition #4's that have the Habanos 2000 strain wrappers that are dark, oily and beautiful, but I have to smoke with lighter in hand. Still, that  particular box is just an amazing smoke if you don't mind tending the cigar. Is it possible the 2000 type wrapper could still pop up? It was notoriously thick and hard to burn.

John 

I've had similar occurrences twice. Once on a Fuentes Don Carlos Reserva smoked directly out of a B&M I frequent. A friend had bought one of of the same box that smoked fine a night or two prior and had inspired me to give one a try. One side absolutely refused to combust no matter how long I held the torch directly on it, but the other smoked fine until it was too dramatic a run to smoke. Frustrating enough that, when combined with frequent less severe burn and plugging issues I have sworn off Fuente.

The other was a Monte 4 which behaved like yours. Tasted great right off the bat but was completely unsmokable. I tried cutting the end of it off and starting again and had the same result but a less pleasant flavor, so that went in the trash. I've smoked 19 others from the box without incident, both before and after the junk one.

Maybe the tobacco wrappers are getting smarter. Survival of the fittest? I sure hope not, as my great great great great great great grandson won’t be able to smoke Cuban wrappers and the cigar industry will be gone forever with fire proof tobacco and stronger leaves.

• Haha 1