Schmecke

Schmecke? Really? Schmecke gut - schmecke schlecht. Hopefully they have no Odeur.

how to pronounce Schmecke? 

Sch  like in Sh in Shawn the sheep. Sh in sheep is also good.

me like me in mercy

ke like in the Italian Che  - Che fai 

really a very clever marketing name. I am scared with German Angst.

1 hour ago, aphexafx said:

Banner_5-e1545079244685.jpg

The guy looks like he wants to take a swing at me. Shouldn't he be more relaxed as he looks to be halfway done with what I can only guess is a monstrous Nicaraguan fattie? 

2 hours ago, Islandboy said:

Could be the patent period is up for Boveda, and the competition is poised and ready (at a lower cost).

If I understand correctly fromwhat I have read, bovedas are just propylene glycol and water with a coagulant added. The ratio of the chemicals determines the humidity level it will maintain. I imagine a halfway decent chemist could reverse engineer the product and use a slightly different coagulant, getting around the patent. I’m honestly kind of surprised there aren’t a lot more brands of the same type of product by now.  

Considering that so many other products for cigar smokers are marketed toward either the nouveau riche or hipsters, the beard/tat model and ‘cool sounding’ german name (which means ‘taste’...) do not surprise me in the slightest. 

I for one take marketing with a grain of salt. If a product is useful to me, yet ridiculously marketed, I don’t care. I’ll buy it. If it is useless to me, yet marketed extremely well, I won’t buy it. Function over form, 100% (unless I’m buying something in which the artistic merit is an inherent aspect of the function, of course). 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Burningman said:

The guy looks like he wants to take a swing at me. Shouldn't he be more relaxed as he looks to be halfway done with what I can only guess is a monstrous Nicaraguan fattie? 

I think he looks that way because they made him smoke a monstrous NC fatty, instead of a Cuban skinny. :P

To be honest, that is just pretentious advertising to me. It really doesn't appeal to me, or make me want to investigate further.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, cfc1016 said:

I imagine a halfway decent chemist could reverse engineer the product and use a slightly different coagulant, getting around the patent.

Yep. But there is a lot of stuff patented that's simple to copy or mimic. That's not circumventing any existent patent or registered designs. The chemical basics behind Boveda are everything but a secret.

That aside, I don't think Boveda would let go any registered protection rights at this moment, they seem to be faring well in the market. I'd rather guess that this new brand is just offering a similar product with modifications to not collide with any existing third party property rights.

As for pronunciation - the German verb 'schmecke' (1st person present tense or 2nd p. imperative) is perfectly pronounced by (the great) Michael Palin in @TheGipper's post. But Schmécké with two acute accents and a 'ck', which seems to be a "designed" fictitious name, is counterintuitive. No idea how to pronounce that - but seems, their creative studio were successful in finding something fitting their own hipster marketing image... :lol:. It certainly set off in making us speak about it....haha.

• Like 2

@cfc1016 hit the nail on the head. Marketing cigars in the US is pretty much an old rich guy with a fat NC and a bunch of half naked women (insert Rocky Patel lifestyle commercial) or some guy with tats and a well maintained beard(Tatuaje and Drew Estate come to mind). At first it kind of annoyed me but now its pretty comical. Even their reps and their respective crowds at cigar events fit their marketing style. Guess it works!

3 hours ago, cfc1016 said:

I think the more important question is - who the hell wants to keep habanos at 69%rh anyway?!?

I thought this too! But then I realised that me from 5 years ago woulda been like "oh, that'll make it easy to keep my humidor 70/70!" Every cigar shop I go to preaches keeping cigars at 70/70 no matter what. I walk into my local shop and they have a sign stating their humidor is always "70/70". I didn't try anything other than that until I got into Cubans and did some research. Maybe it's a NC thing? Lack of education around it or laziness to do some research? All I know is that my smoking experience and enjoyment went way up when I started keeping things at 62 and 65 RH. Definitely made my cigars Schmecke much better. ?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MooseAMuffin said:

@cfc1016 hit the nail on the head. Marketing cigars in the US is pretty much an old rich guy with a fat NC and a bunch of half naked women (insert Rocky Patel lifestyle commercial) or some guy with tats and a well maintained beard(Tatuaje and Drew Estate come to mind). At first it kind of annoyed me but now its pretty comical. Even their reps and their respective crowds at cigar events fit their marketing style. Guess it works!

I thought this too! But then I realised that me from 5 years ago woulda been like "oh, that'll make it easy to keep my humidor 70/70!" Every cigar shop I go to preaches keeping cigars at 70/70 no matter what. I walk into my local shop and they have a sign stating their humidor is always "70/70". I didn't try anything other than that until I got into Cubans and did some research. Maybe it's a NC thing? Lack of education around it or laziness to do some research? All I know is that my smoking experience and enjoyment went way up when I started keeping things at 62 and 65 RH. Definitely made my cigars Schmecke much better. ?

70/70 used to do the trick for me. I think they changed the fermentation process after the strain changes around 2000, and the tobacco just prefers different conditions now.

17 hours ago, aphexafx said:

Banner_5-e1545079244685.jpg

If I'm not a hipster in a tie with tat sleeves, an ironical beard, and five pounds of oversize skull ring on each of my fingers...can I just stick with Boveda?  ??

Don't forget the meticulously shaved sides/back of his head paired with the completely unkempt beard. VERY cool.

• Haha 1

Holy crap - he couldn’t be more cliche hipster if he tried to.... which he or the stylist probably did.

I will never touch this product.

• Like 1