What's your plugged cigar rate?

Plugged cigars  

183 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

58-62 rh and 72 f = loose bands and no plugs... Edit:  They also sit for 3 to 6 months in that environment at a minimum. Most much longer 

In newer boxes, past 5 years, I've had fewer plugged cigars than in years past, but I still find a fair number (10%-15%) that are either too tight or underfilled. A tight or underfilled cigar is smoke

Very rare for me. Maybe has happened a time or two at most.

13 minutes ago, Jon11 said:

I understand what you guys are saying but is shouldn’t April 2017 on the date be enough time?

Depends on where they've been and under what conditions since that time. Cigars are typically kept in a higher humidity state prior to sale. We, the connoisseur's make the final decision based on what we prefer. That said we all have different preferences.

For the longest time I was in a rut with plugs. Boli tube #1, nearly all plugged, clearance siglo 1, 75% plugged, sampler sticks of RAG, VR DA, Lusi, plugged, Christmas sampler COLA, and a free cigar given to me because my first experience was a plug, plugged. I even sent back an entire box of HUHC because they were like 95% plugged. I'm over it now, for the most part, but I still envy those who cant even recall their last one. Here I am with entire boxes of plugs and you're seriously saying that in 20, 30, even 40 years of smoking CC you can count on one hand your plugged cigars.... the math just doesn't add up or I'm one unlucky SOB hahaha.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

let's say that 85% of respondents are having less than 2 sticks per box on average that are plugged. 

is that good? no of course not. It should be zero. 

The discrepancy in experience will fall into three categories:

1. bad luck

2. different perception of what a plug is*

3. storage/resting conditions. 

*  I have deck mates who love a wind tunnel. Anything less is a problematic draw. I still love them...even though they are nutcases. ;)

• Like 1

I've mostly had plugged sticks in the cheap & cheerful realm. Sitting on a box of '11 super partagas, a box of '12 JLP petit cazadores, one box of '11 HdM palmas and one box of '12 RA SCC that have given me problems (for the record none of these came from our host). Going to invest in a perfec draw tool after reading the recent threads. 

21 minutes ago, M777 said:

I've mostly had plugged sticks in the cheap & cheerful realm. Sitting on a box of '11 super partagas, a box of '12 JLP petit cazadores and one box of '12 RA SCC that have given me problems (for the record none of these came from our host). Going to invest in a perfec draw tool after reading the recent threads. 

Plugged cigars come in cheap and cheerful as well as premiums. 

• the larger the gauge, the lower the chance. 
  • Post circa 2006, the lower the chance. 

Just on the brief data above, you can extrapolate it as follows:

There will be approximately 3,900,000 plugged cigars out of this years production.  They will be found equally around the world from LCDH's in Havana to Harrods to LCDH Beirut to Geneva, London, Berlin, Knocke, Honk Kong, Toronto and every online dealer in between. 

I am sure that makes you all feel better :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

never had a plugged cigar from anything from your stock ever.  note to FOH members.  for your info I'm not a Pres. homer.

he just has the best smokes because he puts effort and time into his work, we benefit from his high standard!!!

11 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

Plugged cigars come in cheap and cheerful as well as premiums. 

• the larger the gauge, the lower the chance. 
  • Post circa 2006, the lower the chance. 

Just on the brief data above, you can extrapolate it as follows:

There will be approximately 3,900,000 plugged cigars out of this years production.  they will found equally around the world from LCDH's in Havana to Harrods to LCDH Beirut to Geneva, London, Berlin, Knocke, Honk Kong, Toronto and every online dealer in between. 

I am sure that makes you all feel better :D

Great info Prez!

I voted 5% but my rate is way less.  Most of my experience is NC but I have never had a plugged CC.   I did have one RyJ Coronitas en Cedro that wrapper started coming apart right at the end.   The cigar burned weird the entire time and had a super weird spot where I could not keep it lit.   It was the same day I got them in the mail and was thinking I know its better to wait before you smoke them when they travel but that was really weird.   The next one a couple weeks later smoked a lot better.   I originally had my humidor set up with 70% heartfeld beads when I started getting my CC.   I switched it to 65% beads and the last couple cigars I smoked seemed to smoke much better.  I did buy a perfect draw when they had a special on them.   I could have used it years ago when one of my favorite cigars was Onyx and lots of them seemed plugged but they had such an amazing flavor.   They renamed all their cigars later.   They originally were 3 digit numbers.

1 minute ago, BeerPimp said:

I voted 5% but my rate is way less.  Most of my experience is NC but I have never had a plugged CC.   I did have one RyJ Coronitas en Cedro that wrapper started coming apart right at the end.   The cigar burned weird the entire time and had a super weird spot where I could not keep it lit.   It was the same day I got them in the mail and was thinking I know its better to wait before you smoke them when they travel but that was really weird.   The next one a couple weeks later smoked a lot better.   I originally had my humidor set up with 70% heartfeld beads when I started getting my CC.   I switched it to 65% beads and the last couple cigars I smoked seemed to smoke much better.

Try dry boxing a cigar for a couple of days, before smoking and see what you think.

2 minutes ago, TBird55 said:

Try dry boxing a cigar for a couple of days, before smoking and see what you think.

I will have to try that.   The problem is I only have gotten into CC's in the last 2 months so all the cigars I purchased have not have very much humidor time.  The Punch Petite Coronation I smoked last night burnt perfectly.

Way more plugged than under filled lately for me. I’d say 10-15%. Many of them plugged so solid when I try to use PerfecDraw (ever so gently) the wrapper blows apart between the head and band. Then I’ll drill 3 or 4 holes through the entire thing and really butcher it, and usually toss it 5 mins in because it is still such an uncomfortably tight draw. I store at 60-62% and 65F. I’ve got a box of Monte 4’s and two boxes of Monte 3’s all from 2015 where 3/4 of them are basically unsmokable. 

4 minutes ago, crking3 said:

Can’t tell you how many frickin times I’ve gotten a box where half was like that ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This one is like sucking a frozen milkshake through a damn straw. Not pleasant at all. Just aggravates me to no end. Especially when you toss one after 20 mins...grab another, same story, etc.

• Like 1

Exactly as I said my threshold for plugged is low ....I wonder a bit with what some ppl perceive

Sucking a golf ball through a garden hose must be the norm, but only if the golf ball is smaller than 52rg. Any larger and their mouth would be sore.

• Like 1

i doubt 

1 minute ago, crking3 said:

This is the kind of comment that has me scratching my head

I am always fascinated in peoples reactions when others share a different experience to theirs :wink2:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, crking3 said:

What is the “I doubt” in reference to in regard to my comment?

Typo. I will edit. I started down a different track. 

Actually i already had!

In the end it can only be the three things posted previously. 

1. bad luck

2. different perception of what a plug is*

3. storage/resting conditions. 

The poll numbers are fairly convincing. There is no reason for people to tailor their experience. 

i doubt 
I am always fascinated in peoples reactions when others share a different experience to theirs :wink2:
When you go through weeks, or even months, of spending thousands of dollars on cigars, and consistently find that most of them are not even smokeable, its definitely a shock to find out that some people have rarely ever had that experience.

• Like 2

I picked 5-10%, but I think it's less than that after doing some quick math.  I split some Trinidad Reyes with a friend, and all but one of my 6 was plugged (smoked months apart).

I keep everything at 65%, but have been thinking of experimenting at 62%.

I generally don't smoke Cubans until they are at least a year old, and I also make sure everything gets at least a few months in my personal storage as well (I freeze everything that comes in.)