My first time with beetles...

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've read about this happening, but it has never happened to me....   I cleaned out the humidor this weekend as it's FINALLY above freezing here in Minnesota, and to my horror I found beetles!! I

Okay. Okay. We all need to stop. This thread is having a greater effect than any government campaign.  They should put beetles on the front instead of the tumours.  Heck, the pictu

Deep breaths.  if you smoke cigars long enough, you are going to see at least a beetle hole.  It is a little like driving....you are eventually going to have a bingle.  99.999% of what you s

1 hour ago, Martin_F said:

What's the affect of freezing cigars on their humidity level?

If my cigars are 65%rH before freezing, will they still be 65%rH when they come out and acclimate in the freezer bag?

no, they are going to dry out some just because of the way condensers work. Most tend to try and wait a couple of weeks to give the sticks time to re-acclimate before smoking them after freezing, but i often can't wait that long on a new arrival so I'll typically smoke one before then, treating it like i've already dry-boxed it haha

4 hours ago, CrownN7eveN said:

Question for the those in the know.  Do y’all take into account the temp of the cigars during shipment?  Surely temps get above 18C/65F during shipping to the vendor, AND then to the customer.  If there are no signs of beetles upon receipt of a box of cigars, isn’t more than likely that you’re good to go?  Or does the temp have to be sustained for a longer period of time?  I always read it was a combination of temp and humidity, and not just temp?  I’ve learned over the years to keep my humidity lower through trial and error due to living in a high humidy area along the coast, from 69% to 67% and now to 65%.  I’m thinking about taking my humidity down to about 63%, cause I think my cigars are ever so slightly not quite where I want them to be.  Anyway, doesn’t humidity have to be above 72% with a temp greater than 70 degrees F?  Or, what are the “safe” conditions that cigars should be stored at, to avoid beetle infestation without freezing?  I don’t mean to hijack this thread, but I think its relevant to the subject at hand...y’all have a nice day.

Not unheard of for my boxes to see triple digits en route to my mailbox.  I consider that a good incubation test.  

However, I'm pretty green in this game so don't take anything I say as good info. :D

I think its important to know, how you are storing them. I understand your asking for help but let us know, your current conditions. And we can see how it happened to start. If you are not buying from a reliable source, then freeze everything. double bag, and suck air out(as much as you can with a straw) Then fridge for 12-24 hours, freezer for 48 and then you can take them out but wrap in a towel and keep at room temp. Everyone is going to have their own method for freezing. I recently went through a closed box with them and I froze my entire collection. Over 40 boxes and 300 singles. So take the time and do it right.

1 hour ago, scap99 said:

Not unheard of for my boxes to see triple digits en route to my mailbox.  I consider that a good incubation test.  

However, I'm pretty green in this game so don't take anything I say as good info. :D

Exactly where my line of thinking is.  I also allow my cigars to remain in their shipping boxes for a few days, to allow them to acclimate to my home, and allow whatever may be in there, to come on out.    I figure as long as I don’t find anything crawling around, or holes in any cigars, I’m good to go.  And this is why I asked the question, cause surely cigars can get really hot during transit across the world.  So if this is the case, then most cigars to me, get a double dose of high heat, which should hatch anything in the box before it gets to me.  That’s why I was wondering, how long an incubation period these little tobacco munchers need before hatching?

Only cigars sold on the island are not frozen.  

When I was in Cuba and spending some time with Jose (Punch Joe) Last November I asked him specifically this and he said all stock was frozen, not just export. That would leave only customs which often end up in Humidors in the stores as never frozen.

On one hand this makes sense because I’m not sure Cuba being Cuba could figure out what is going where and what to freeze and what not to freeze. Having said that, I freeze everything I bring back from Cuba anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tend to follow the standard fridge to freezer back to fridge.  Only diff is that I vac seal them so they are 65% when they go in and 65% when they come out.
That's not how humidity works...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LLC said:

When I was in Cuba and spending some time with Jose (Punch Joe) Last November I asked him specifically this and he said all stock was frozen, not just export. That would leave only customs which often end up in Humidors in the stores as never frozen.

On one hand this makes sense because I’m not sure Cuba being Cuba could figure out what is going where and what to freeze and what not to freeze. Having said that, I freeze everything I bring back from Cuba anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That may have changed and I would certainly trust Jose. 

Habanos SA is export.  In the past they did not supply domestic stores. I know that has changed somewhat. 

It doesn't make too much difference as it doesn't take too much looking to find beetles or evidence of beetles in most divans/stores within Havana.  They would just get a lift in with the leaf for the house rollers. It is that easy. 

• Like 1

On 4/24/2018 at 3:40 PM, JamesKPolkEsq said:

Did you have cigars directly from Cuba in the humidor, or did you buy them all from vendors off the island? 

None directly from Cuba, all of my cubans are from FoH.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, iahawk36 said:

None directly from Cuba, all of my cubans are from FoH.

Thanks for the information. 

I have never frozen cigars, as I have only purchased through vendors online. 

I am beginning to think that is a mistake.... 

34 minutes ago, JamesKPolkEsq said:

Thanks for the information. 

I have never frozen cigars, as I have only purchased through vendors online. 

I am beginning to think that is a mistake.... 

*sigh*

Me too...

Looks like I have quite the task to accomplish these next few weeks :(

19 hours ago, CrownN7eveN said:

Exactly where my line of thinking is.  I also allow my cigars to remain in their shipping boxes for a few days, to allow them to acclimate to my home, and allow whatever may be in there, to come on out.    I figure as long as I don’t find anything crawling around, or holes in any cigars, I’m good to go.  And this is why I asked the question, cause surely cigars can get really hot during transit across the world.  So if this is the case, then most cigars to me, get a double dose of high heat, which should hatch anything in the box before it gets to me.  That’s why I was wondering, how long an incubation period these little tobacco munchers need before hatching?

If you have any concerns, I would also recommend holding the cigar over a piece of paper or a paper towel (white background makes it easier to see deposited particulate matter), and tap or flick the sides of it with the foot pointed down. You don’t want anything to come out. 

If you see something like the picture I’ve attached, it’s likely beetle poo. They can happily infest and eat the innards of your cigar without outwardly indicating their presence with holes in the wrapper. 

9C463C4C-7429-449D-A096-5CBF0A774DE3.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Knock on wood, but I haven’t had any beetles (yet).

This thread reminds me of the time my daughter came home from school with head lice.  Not a pleasant discovery. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BTWheezy said:

Knock on wood, but I haven’t had any beetles (yet).

This thread reminds me of the time my daughter came home from school with head lice.  Not a pleasant discovery. 

Did you freeze :D

• Haha 2