My first time with beetles...

1 hour ago, Fugu said:

Original habitat for beetles, where else if not there to expect them....  :D

More specifically I suppose I should have said live beetles in Havana humidors. But for sure that is funny!

• Like 1

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've read about this happening, but it has never happened to me....   I cleaned out the humidor this weekend as it's FINALLY above freezing here in Minnesota, and to my horror I found beetles!! I

Okay. Okay. We all need to stop. This thread is having a greater effect than any government campaign.  They should put beetles on the front instead of the tumours.  Heck, the pictu

Deep breaths.  if you smoke cigars long enough, you are going to see at least a beetle hole.  It is a little like driving....you are eventually going to have a bingle.  99.999% of what you s

Just now, Colt45 said:

The freezing is to "destroy" the eggs, to keep them from hatching.

I don't understand how that is a remedy because you would be smoking the eggs then still. Seems to me if you have beetles the cigars must go in the trash.

I hate to break it to you, but if you have smoked cuban cigars you have likely smoked a dead beetle and almost certainly smoked a beetle egg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pdxcigarguy said:

I don't understand how that is a remedy because you would be smoking the eggs then still. Seems to me if you have beetles the cigars must go in the trash.

Tobacco leaves have the eggs on them. Fact of life. You cannot see them, but they are there and harmless, until your temps rise and they hatch! Freezing kills the eggs rendering them unviable. 

3 hours ago, Tollickd said:

Well I am sitting here worried to death that they will come out damaged :( my winecooler is at 18c so the plan is 24hrs take them from the freezer in the fridge then to the cooler still in the ziplock bags for a day or so then back in the original boxes!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Take a deep breath and relax. All will be fine. Cigars are resilient and they will be fine. I freeze all incoming sticks. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

Have you ever smoked a cigar? Then you have smoked beetle eggs. Simple as that.

I'll take you stash if you no longer can smoke them ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but here it goes fellas. How on earth does freezing help with the beetles. If you have beetles you have beetles and to me it seems the cigars would be ruined. Freezing them may kill the beetles but then dont you still have dead beetles in your cigars you would be smoking? Its not like freezing the cigars would make the beetles come out of the cigars and die in the bottom of your container or baggie you froze the cigars in is it? 

You're smoking dead beetles and/or eggs regardless.

The freezing is so stop said beetles from eating your cigars. 

Yes it's true.  We all eat some bugs, eggs and poo almost daily.

https://www.livescience.com/55459-fda-acceptable-food-defects.html

Never trust a Cuban freezer.......If they are like the morgue freezers in the Dominican Republic, they only work 20 % of the time.