Modern Car Design.....are we in a slump?

It is getting close to that time where I trade in the Jeep Grand Cherokee. It has been a good car but the electrics and entertainment system are going. Having owned jeeps prior....I know it is time to bail. 

There really is nothing new in the 4X4 world that I can see (past 5 years). I don't mind a performance sedan (second car would be a little Land rover Defender 2 door). 

Strugging to find something that grabs me in either a 4x4 or a performance sedan. It is almost as if the MV design world is in a slump. 

I reach out to you for some ideas ......what is tickling your fancy :D

Pics required :ok:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Get a pickup, Rob! I love my Toyota Tacoma. Mine has the 4x4 off-road package. Been in dirt, sand, snow...handled all well. Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The Holland and Holland Range rover, has a boot that may suit your needs?  

I’m a Ford guy and I’m a truck guy, so this will come as no surprise but my advice ... get a Ford truck.   Specifically, get a Ford Raptor! Speed?  Check.   Off-road?  Check.   4x4

Range Rover Velar is really hot.  Well thought out design and great engineering.  We may get one once our Jaguar lease is up:

nintchdbpict000305778267.jpg

Jaguar XE is a nice performance sedan as is the Alfa Giulia. 

Jaguar-XE.jpg

alfa01.jpg

The best looking sedan on the road is the Aston Martin Rapide without a doubt  ;-)

b75dc39397_1024.jpg

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, 99call said:

The Holland and Holland Range rover, has a boot that may suit your needs?

trunk.jpg

You opted for the bar over the shotgun cases?  The local JLR dealer has a few H&H Autobiography's at like $240K USD

5 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

You opted for the bar over the shotgun cases?  The local JLR dealer has a few H&H Autobiography's at like $240K USD

I love the fact they are shamelessly trying to sell them to Oligachs with the Wvoddi ready to pour

I’m a Ford guy and I’m a truck guy, so this will come as no surprise but my advice ... get a Ford truck.  

Specifically, get a Ford Raptor!

Speed?  Check.  

Off-road?  Check.  

4x4? Check.  

Badass styling?  Check.  

Modern technology?  Check.  

Rides smooth, looks smooth ... is smooth.

AA57DB33-25ED-4107-85D7-0734B95D59E3.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 99call said:

The shot gun option is just for highly stressed mums, just in case someone tries to effect young Tarquin and Tabitha's self esteem on the school run to Sloan Square

You have to tell JLR which guns you have when you order so they'll fit perfect.  I like all the engraving H&H does on all the running gear and trim on that car.  Very fancy.

I agree with @BrightonCorgi in that Range Rover Velar would be my first choice. Styling, options and price point aren't half bad. It looks amazing also!

2018-Range-Rover-Velar

The Velar comes with an eight speed ZF automatic transmission with AWD mated to a 2.0L 247hp turbocharged four-cylinder, 180hp turbodiesel or 3.0L 380hp supercharged V6 engine.

2018-Range-Rover-Velar-2

2018-Range-Rover-Velar-3

2018-Range-Rover-Velar-4

2018-Range-Rover-Velar-5

2018-Range-Rover-Velar-7

Or if you're not after refined engineering, you can opt for this ;)

Ripsaw EV3-F1 Sports Tank

Ripsaw-EV3-F1-Sports-Tank-1

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cmbarton said:

I’m a Ford guy and I’m a truck guy, so this will come as no surprise but my advice ... get a Ford truck.  

Specifically, get a Ford Raptor!

Speed?  Check.  

Off-road?  Check.  

4x4? Check.  

Badass styling?  Check.  

Modern technology?  Check.  

Rides smooth, looks smooth ... is smooth.

AA57DB33-25ED-4107-85D7-0734B95D59E3.jpeg

As much as it saddens me, Raptors aren't available in Aus unless you buy one through a 3rd part who have converted it to right hand drive (and pulled most of the power out of it to meet Australian Emission regs)

A Ford Raptor will set you back around $180k here

• Confused 2

Stick with the Jeep and look at an SRT Grand Cherokee

2017-jeep-grand-cherokee-srt-official-photos-and-info-news-car-and-driver-photo-671270-s-450x274.jpg.a944d38524db081a921c7315781d5c1b.jpg

I'll admit, its looks aren't really what grab me but when you've got 350kw of power and a 4.6sec 0-100km times, people wont be able to look at it for long anyway

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, polarbear said:

As much as it saddens me, Raptors aren't available in Aus unless you buy one through a 3rd part who have converted it to right hand drive (and pulled most of the power out of it to meet Australian Emission regs)

A Ford Raptor will set you back around $180k here

Dang! Talk about a overreaching government!!?? Let the people live for Christ's sake!

16 minutes ago, Stormin691 said:

Dang! Talk about a overreaching government!!?? Let the people live for Christ's sake!

Tell me about it

All the great American Trucks either cant be purchased here or cost upwards of $100k after conversion and import costs

Ford Aus are talking about releasing a "Raptor" here based off the popular Ford Ranger platform
Chances are it'll be a Ranger Wildtrack with a sticker pack and a body kit thought  

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Stormin691 said:

14 minutes ago, polarbear said:

Tell me about it

All the great American Trucks either cant be purchased here or cost upwards of $100k after conversion and import costs

Ford Aus are talking about releasing a "Raptor" here based off the popular Ford Ranger platform
Chances are it'll be a Ranger Wildtrack with a sticker pack and a body kit thought  

Don't blame the Aus Govt, blame Ford (and other US manufacturers). They refused for a long time to make right hand drive versions of their cars to sell in Aus. Now Ford, GM etc have no choice but to make right hand drive versions if they want to sell in Aus, now that our car manufacturing industry is dead.

Personally, I'm looking at an Alfa Giulia as my next car. Only problem is, I want a 2 door coupe version. It's been talked about, but Alfa has not put out any info on it. Considering how long it took them to replace the 159, I may need to hold on to my Merc coupe for longer.

5 hours ago, BolivarSmoker said:

Get a pickup, Rob! I love my Toyota Tacoma. Mine has the 4x4 off-road package. Been in dirt, sand, snow...handled all well.df47b1232f5728982bee32d98316f2d7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Di can jump in the back. 

Oh how she would love that car .............:o

• Like 1

QOkAlzn.jpg

Alfa Romeo Stelvio, Kelly and I are loving hers....

• Like 3

4 hours ago, bman75 said:

1) Buy a capable Toyota or Honda and let it serve you faithfully and economically for 10+ years.

....that would be the sensible option. I have always had a strained relationship with "sensible" ;)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BolivarSmoker said:

Get a pickup, Rob! I love my Toyota Tacoma. Mine has the 4x4 off-road package. Been in dirt, sand, snow...handled all well.df47b1232f5728982bee32d98316f2d7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

These must be good, they are pretty much the most popular truck where I live. Is it just the reliability of being a Toyota that makes it popular? I don’t get it, but I’m not a truck guy. 

There’s a new design wrangler out for 2018!