I Weep For Our Youth...

I was at the store this morning with my four-year-old as she had wrangled me into getting her a toy. We were in the game aisle when I came across Monopoly...using a credit card?! I can't believe they're teaching kids to play Monopoly with a credit card instead of cash. That just seems nuts to me. However, it appears it is actually worse for our youth. When I looked up this is what I saw.

In hindsight, the back pages of MAD Magazine probably were not a lot better.

20180122_180600.jpg

20180122_180617.jpg

20180122_180639.jpg

20180122_180657.jpg

Speaking of credit cards, recently a large hospital and affiliated group practices stopped accepting cash for co-pays, etc. I was like WTF!?!  I can't pay a $15 co-pay with cash!?  I'm old school and like to use cash, especially when you're talking about paying for things that cost less that $50.

• Like 1

I do have to laugh at myself because I'm 42 and I'm that old bastard on the Block who's always screaming at the kids to stay off of his grass.

I was born a member of AARP. I don't know if that's an international organization but for all you folks not in the US that is the American Association of Retired People.

• Haha 3

51 minutes ago, HarveyBoulevard said:

I was at the store this morning with my four-year-old as she had wrangled me into getting her a toy. We were in the game aisle when I came across Monopoly...using a credit card?! I can't believe they're teaching kids to play Monopoly with a credit card instead of cash. That just seems nuts to me. However, it appears it is actually worse for our youth.

Could be worse... could be teaching them to use Bitcoin ;) 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dvickery said:

Next thing you know ... the kids are going to be listening to rock & roll :) .

derrek

It's worse, my 20 year old has been listening to rap!  I just can't listen to it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HarveyBoulevard said:

I do have to laugh at myself because I'm 42 and I'm that old bastard on the Block who's always screaming at the kids to stay off of his grass.

I was born a member of AARP. I don't know if that's an international organization but for all you folks not in the US that is the American Association of Retired People.

** Card carrying member of it for 5 years...

1 hour ago, Sigaar said:

Speaking of credit cards, recently a large hospital and affiliated group practices stopped accepting cash for co-pays, etc. I was like WTF!?!  I can't pay a $15 co-pay with cash!?  I'm old school and like to use cash, especially when you're talking about paying for things that cost less that $50.

be very interesting to know if that was legal where you are. they might find that they are obliged to accept cash.

18 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

be very interesting to know if that was legal where you are. they might find that they are obliged to accept cash.

According to the RBA, businesses do not necessarily have to accept bank notes.

" However although transactions are to be in Australian currency unless otherwise agreed or specified, and Australian currency has legal tender status, Australian banknotes and coins do not necessarily have to be used in transactions and refusal to accept payment in legal tender banknotes and coins is not unlawful."

https://banknotes.rba.gov.au/legal/legal-tender/

18 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

Meriton apartments in Oz haven't taken cash payments  for two years. Then they charge you 1.25% for use of a credit card. 

• Sad 1

Just now, El Presidente said:

Meriton apartments in Oz haven't taken cash payments  for two years. Then they charge you 1.25% for use of a credit card. 

hey, i used to act for harry. you should be grateful he lets you even buy an apartment.

fuzz, interesting. and shows how long since i have looked at all that.

i did have a client - an aussie who every local would have heard of, much beloved around the nation but an absolute utter grub, the only client i have ever sacked - was buying a million dollar house. we arranged for him to turn up with the dosh, assuming bank cheque. nope. a bag of used notes for a mill. you can bet none of it was not dodgy.

Oh please let this turn into a moaning old git thread!
But please write your complaints in with a letter rather than using these new-fangled keyedboards and the interweb.

Thunder & Lightening '75 - '15

• Like 1

Sigaar that drives me nuts. We have a bunch of places here in NYC that do not take cash so I refuse to do business with them. 

Also I saw a post on Reddit the other day where these millennials had the balls to say the 1% have enough cash for everyone and that they shouldn't have to work. 

Kids today, what is not hilarious is troubling.

Yesterday I had to keep a kid from dropping a car on himself while trying to change a tire.

Also ,he had bought a Honda wheel and tried to put it on a Nissan. BECAUSE the car had NO SPARE.

"well ,the tire is the same size, isn't  that how you do it? "

scary............

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 99call said:

For every kid wanting to buy a retarded game, there is a rich baby boomer at a desk heading the company that churns this shit out. 

So very true and so very crazy. I don't know what meeting went as follows... I want a bunch of games about toilets, s***, puke, farting, smashing rotten eggs on your head and oh by the way get rid of all of that silly cash in Monopoly and replace it with a credit card.

Obviously I don't know what sells and have no business in the marketing department :-)