HDM Elegantes. First Look

They look beautiful that's for sure. Just not a huge fan of that vitola. They never seem to smoke correctly for me. I'll probably buy a couple just because and ask them to be in the OLH so I can't mess with them.

I'm also curious about the experiences thus far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, El Presidente said:

How did this cigar manage to pass the "Mas Gordo" marketing brigade I have no idea. 

:lol3:

It is good to see.  I'm not big on special releases...but the LCDH stuff has been generally good, available in quantity, and priced reasonably.

I intend to let HSA know my approval by picking up a couple boxes, maybe the Punch 48 as well.

What I'm interested in is whether the same rollers that do Cuaba are rolling this perfecto release (47 rg x 158 mm). If so, my concerns about it are the same as all Cuaba, you've got to make sure they've got no construction issues, these perfectos are harder to roll than standard parejos for sure. No doubt, El Pres, you've thought of this scenario already with your stock coming in. If these come out of the same factory a Cuaba, we may see some more TOS stock.

• Like 1

Had one so far. Construction was good. Mine weren't too wet but it definitely tasted young. Was rather mild. Jury is still out.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, shlomo said:

These and the Punch 48 are the first new releases on my wish list for a long time now...

Any idea on pricing Rob?

5 minutes ago, Corylax18 said:

Read his second sentence.

If they are in the same range as the RA Superiores I will be very happy. I'm excited to try a few either way.

Superiores 53 CUCs and Elegantes 70 in Cuba.

I cant remember the last time I saw Superiores in 24:24 but I guess it will be in +40-50% range. After the release hype I hope it goes down.

These do look interesting but, like others, I am concerned about how well they will be constructed. Cuaba often misses the mark. I personally have not had too much luck with Partagas salamones either. These must be difficult to roll so I hope they get it right along with the blend. 70 cuc seems like an excellent price for them too.

I love Tacos! Will search out a couple...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shlomo said:

These and the Punch 48 are the first new releases on my wish list for a long time now...

Any idea on pricing Rob?

I am still waiting on pricing from PCC. Will have it by Monday I suspect. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, oliverdst said:

Superiores 53 CUCs and Elegantes 70 in Cuba.

I cant remember the last time I saw Superiores in 24:24 but I guess it will be in +40-50% range. After the release hype I hope it goes down.

Superiors are generally 110-130

So 100% bump would not be surprising. Hope you are right with a 50% bump though.

9 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

Read his second sentence.

If they are in the same range as the RA Superiores I will be very happy. I'm excited to try a few either way.

Missed it. Thanks for pointing it out.

I'm excited for these, never had a Cuban 'taco'.  Is it best to go for initial release boxes, like going for inaugural productions of new standard production vitolas?

25 minutes ago, shlomo said:

Hope you are right with a 50% bump though.

Even that would be demanding. I currently get the Party Salomones at the local B&M for EUR 16, that's incl. all duties and taxes!

Well, of course they don't come in a nice slb-packaging....

70 CUC seems very fair to me. A slight premium over the superiores, hopefully because they are using higher level rollers. That may be wishful thinking though. I'm excited to try a few at that price. Its always hard to predict what the price will be when they come out the other end of the machine. I will certainly try a few, but if I like them, I'll wait till I'm on the island to go deep.

43 minutes ago, Fugu said:

Even that would be demanding. I currently get the Party Salomones at the local B&M for EUR 16, that's incl. all duties and taxes!

Well, of course they don't come in a nice slb-packaging....

Not sure I understand the comparison..? Salomones are 107.50cuc in Cuba, not 70cuc. Hoyo Epicure de Luxe would be a more apt pricing comparison imo. What does your B+M sell those for?

5 hours ago, shlomo said:

Not sure I understand the comparison..? Salomones are 107.50cuc in Cuba, not 70cuc. Hoyo Epicure de Luxe would be a more apt pricing comparison imo. What does your B+M sell those for?

Alright, on second reading, I guess I misunderstood, Shlomo. Thought you were referring the mentioned 100 or 50% bump to the $110-130 for the Sups, in which case the Elegantes would be more expensive than the Salomones. A vitola which I chose for the rolling effort / manufacturing aspect of it, while staying within the LCDH-line. With the Salomones being the only other figurado there and being way larger than the Elegantes. So, to keep the price distance, I would expect a price needing to stay well under USD 12 (without duties even less). So, a 50% bump on the 70 CUC, as you say, would appear more reasonable, indeed! Tricky to compare with a HdM Parejo either.

But for comparison, current local B&M pricing:

Party Salomones EUR 16.40

Party Presidentes (the only other Tacos) comes in at 10.00

the Epi Deluxe about the same, 10.30

Cheers, Goo