Wedding cigar suggestions

Because none of my friends have talked me off the ledge, I am getting married this July. I'm going to be supplying a selection of cigars for my guests.

The reality is most of the people there wouldn't know the difference between a primo HU 2 and a Rocky Patel bundle smoke. I've got a stash of Siglo IV, Mag 56 and Pyramides Extras for the "initiated" but am looking to fill out the rest of my bench. So I'm looking for 4 boxes that won't break the bank, are approachable to novice smokers, and since I will likely be the one smoking the leftovers- something somewhat decent.

My rough draft list is:

Punch Punch

HU Connie 1

HDM Epi 2

D4

This looks more like my own shopping list, and is in my mind a lot of $ to spend on people who wouldn't know any better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

RYJ or Parti Mille Fleurs.

good sticks

cheap

and you will not feel so bad when you see them stubbed out in the potted plants................:o

and now for a word from Torsion.....

• Like 1

Quintero's for those that have no clue - would pain me to see 1/3rd smoked cigars mentioned above, cost effective solution.

You're going to hear a lot of different suggestions coming this way based upon people's smoking bias

Monte 4, PSD4, Epi2 maybe Monte 2.

Just seen someone beat me to it - petit corona is going to be a popular size for smokers/non regular.

• Like 1

I'd keep it real simple and cost-effective: Epi 2 for anyone who cares, Quintero Favoritos for those who don't. Save your Siglo VI, CPE and Mag 56 for yourself. Unless it's a fellow BOTL, those cigars will be wasted on them.

• Like 1

At my sons wedding ... 85 guests and 22 of 25 cigars were smoked from a box of Partagas coronas juniors ( had more ready if they were needed) .

yes ... they were popular

and now you should know about how many cigars to bring vs number of guests .

they are tubed ... a bonus for these situations

price is not prohibitive

i did loose a cutter but the lighter was still there at the end of the night ... so if yer going to bring appliances bring ones you don't mind loosing .

derrek

• Like 1

Guest Nekhyludov

Congrats @Dmpotocek

I got married last year and shared a Padron Anniversario maduro sampler that I'd been aging for 16 years with my groomsmen. I enjoyed the hell out it, but the rest were handled, um ... not well :rolleyes:

I'm sure whatever you choose will be much appreciated. All the stuff that seems so important to get just right when you're planning a wedding, people won't even remember afterward. It's the company and the celebration they'll remember. Pick whatever will make YOU happy.

Thanks gents. It's an outdoor wedding so people will be able to fire at will. I've got about 10 guys coming who are BOTL's so they're the ones getting the good stuff. I've got 130 guests day of, and a rehearsal dinner the night before with 50 and a pre-wedding happy hour with cigars. My biggest fear is running out and drunk me raiding my personal stash to compensate. (The wedding is at my house so my wineador will be accessible, maybe I should put a lock on it and give my best man the key)

• Like 2

In my expirenece, 99.9% of guests that partake in a cigar will no way make it through a robusto size stick. I would stick to PC size sticks or the like; maybe skinny and long. 

Pl montecarlos come to mind 

bolivar PCs 

RASCC 

H upman half coronas 

and tbh a great value anything from vegueros 

why spend top dollar on something people will

light up and 15min later toss. I put out big sticks at my wedding and it was a waste. Not a waste as people enjoyed the expirence, but I could have gone another route and people would have enjoyed themselves all the same.

• Like 2

First of all congratulations !  I have been married for 30 years in April and would not change anything (except maybe my inlaws)  My suggestion is to include some monte no 4s in your selection. Often a first Cuban for many they are very flavorful and always well received. Best of luck to you and your bride!

Those are some nice cigars. However, I suspect you'll be saddened to see many of them 1/3 complete then dumped. I'd go with something along the lines of Monty 4, and another petit corona. Maybe a select few larger cigars for folks that you know will smoke and enjoy them. 

Congratulations 

• Like 1

I faced a similar dilemma at my brother's wedding, and settled on the Upmann Half Corona. Most guests weren't regular smokers, so I figured they wouldn't necessarily stick with a cigar for an hour or more, and I'd be driven crazy by setting a bunch of perfectly good sticks abandoned with only an inch or two smoked... People seemed to like them as a half hour break from the dance floor.

44 minutes ago, torsion said:

Quintero's for those that have no clue - would pain me to see 1/3rd smoked cigars mentioned above, cost effective solution.

I went with this option. A bundle of Favritos. No one was a serious cigar smoker apart from me. The barely lit ones stubbed out in the ashtray didn't bother me. The guests were pissed (UK for "drunk"), I was pissed. Everything was great. The "Havana" on the label prompted "Ooh are these Cubans?" from one or two guest. Most didn't give two shits. I smoked the good stuff when on honeymoon. Do I feel guilty? Hell No. 

• Like 2

Guest robitowitz
I faced a similar dilemma at my brother's wedding, and settled on the Upmann Half Corona. Most guests weren't regular smokers, so I figured they wouldn't necessarily stick with a cigar for an hour or more, and I'd be driven crazy by setting a bunch of perfectly good sticks abandoned with only an inch or two smoked... People seemed to like them as a half hour break from the dance floor.

Did the same thing for a buddy's wedding.
HUHC is a solid choice you can't go wrong with. Will be my choice for my wedding in September

Congrats on the wedding and many blessings to y'all.

I might suggest RyJ Coronitas en cedro. Good size, good price, and a nice presentation with the cedar wrap. Just my 2¢.

• Like 2

Congratulations buddy.  I'd say stick HU Majestic in there.  It's 100 bucks from most places, and a decent smoke.  That, with the PLMC and maybe a Boli PC or Monte #4 would fill out your list for about half the price.

• Like 1

Romeo y Julieta have a romantic connotation, perhaps a hand-picked box of the mille fleurs. The box i have is dark rosado wrapper-- like chocolate covered cherries.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cardinalfan85 said:

Romeo y Julieta have a romantic connotation, perhaps a hand-picked box of the mille fleurs. The box i have is dark rosado wrapper-- like chocolate covered cherries.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Agreed

1 hour ago, WillEd11 said:

1. Smoke the cigars on Friday before/during/after the rehearsal dinner. Finding time to smoke a cigar during the wedding has proven to be difficult. Between the groom always being busy, eating, dancing... etc... it was hard to find a time that someone could spend an hour enjoying a smoke. We pissed off more than one bride heading out to smoke after the wedding dinner was served and eaten. We basically delayed the dance floor being full of people for about an hour and would cause a pissed off bride to come yell at the wedding party.

-WillEd11

This above is good advice.

Someone else asked this same question not too long ago. And my advice was to have the cigars at the bachelor party, that is your day. The rehearsal dinner is also a great idea. 

I got married in 2013. Seems like an eternity for me, but in reality not too long ago. Anyway my hope was to be able to smoke a cigar on my wedding night and so my brother in law bought some COROs for all the boys in the wedding party. I don't think I even made it outside with all the other obligations I had that night. Between pictures, dinner, speeches, dances and trying to thank everyone for coming personally, there really wasn't time. Needless to say the cigars were not smoked, at least not by me anyway. It was probably for the best because as good of a woman as my wife is, and believe me she puts up with a lot, I know she wouldn't really have wanted me to smell like cigars on our wedding day. Remember that although "you" are getting married it actually has absolutely diddly squat to do with "you". The wedding day is her day.   

• Like 3

Congratulations ... or condolences!

:D

Agreed with other posters: bring out the good stuff for the rehearsal and the bachelor's party.  Less overall stress, less distraction, and you can better ensure that whatever you serve up will be appreciated.  Don't forget: the wedding day itself isn't your day *singular* but your day *plural* -- you will be far too busy, and it would be far too early in the marriage to piss off Her Indoors by wandering off with the boys for an hour or two.  If you want to have something special for yourself and selected guests (father-in-law??), a small separate stash will suffice.

As to smokes, I'd be wary of half-coronas for the simple reason that the non-smokers or cigarette smokers in the party will likely be smoking them far too fast and thus far too hot.  A larger RG might be better in that respect.  

That said, the suggestion of Monte #4 is excellent: a decent middle of the road smoke that I usually recommend to beginners.  And tubos are an excellent idea!  Easy to carry around, easy for storage.  

One more suggestion: if there are many non-smokers in the party, you may wish to serve up your cigars pre-cut or invest in a handful of cheap plastic cutters ... those things have a habit of going walkabout, and the non-smokers wouldn't even know how to cut a cigar properly.  

Congratulations! I had as similar post earlier in the year, as i too am planning a wedding this year and plan to have a cigar bar. I ended up going with smaller cigars due to the fact that the future wife will not be happy if I'm in the smoking section for hours, paired with I anticipate many non smokers lighting up to celebrate the occasion. Here is what I plan on providing, most of which were supplied by our gracious host! 

Bolivar Corona Junior

Monte 5 & Petit Edmundo 

Cohiba Secretos and Siglo I 

That being said, I plan on bringing some larger cigars to enjoy the morning of, day after, honeymoon, etc. The overwhelming amount of feedback I got was to go with what you know and go with what you like. Don't provide super high end large format cigars at the wedding because most likely they will be under appreciated, smoked too fast and pitched less then half way through. If that happened to one of my precious lanceros or coro's I would never be able to look at the person the same again... Below is a sample of the cigar menu I came up with, still a rough draft, but it's been the most fun of the wedding planning process IMO! 

cuban menu.PNG

• Like 4

A lot of good intel here- I appreciate it. Fortunately it is an outdoor wedding (it's almost like I had a hidden agenda campaigned hard for it) I too have seen an angry bride break up a smoke pit, so I decided to nip it in the bud. I think I'm going to go the PC direction w/some Monty 4s, and maybe a petite robusto for a bigger RG option. And I'll keep a box of Epi 2 on standby, and hopefully not have to break into them. Because what ever is left over becomes mine.

• Like 1