Wedding cigar suggestions

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.  I'm in the same situation as I'm getting married in the DR in June, but only about 30 guests so it will be slightly less complicated.  I plan on bringing a special stash for those who I know enjoy cigars, and for the rest, RyJ No. 2 tubos and/or Charter Oak Connecticut Shade Petit Coronas (Very mild and cheap, but surprisingly good). I figure the ones who ask will either gravitate to the words "Mild" or "Cuban" and pick accordingly.

Either way, I fully expect most people to toss after about 20 min once they get bored of it. And I won't care.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dmpotocek said:

Punch Punch

HU Connie 1

HDM Epi 2

D4

This looks more like my own shopping list, and is in my mind a lot of $ to spend on people who wouldn't know any better.

I agree with whoever said 99% will not make it through a Robusto size smoke.  But they probably won't make it through a PC either.  So just don't worry about the waste, it's not a big deal.  To the uninitiated I think heftier ring gauge of an Ep 2 for example will have a bigger wow factor.  The Ep 2 is also on the less stronger side of your list so will be less likely to get the uninitiated sick.    And the 24:24 from Monday had boxes at $175 or $7.00/stick and I don't think it sold out.  Great deal. I'd be going Ep 2 for sure.  

• Like 2

Envy you people who can have everybody smoking at your weddings - sounds like a lot more cigar tolerant culture than our. 

Im quite convinced that my wife would not appriciate if I was smoking at my wedding, neither would the guests for that matter, but it seems its almost expected in some of your countries - do appriciate it! 

I would go for petite coronas for most people...

Go for something like Monte 4 of RASS...  A cigar you won't fret seeing in the ashtray or trash after 4 puff's, but is special enough for anyone novice or pro to enjoy.

19 hours ago, ThePolskiOgorki said:

This above is good advice.

Someone else asked this same question not too long ago. And my advice was to have the cigars at the bachelor party, that is your day. The rehearsal dinner is also a great idea. 

I got married in 2013. Seems like an eternity for me, but in reality not too long ago. Anyway my hope was to be able to smoke a cigar on my wedding night and so my brother in law bought some COROs for all the boys in the wedding party. I don't think I even made it outside with all the other obligations I had that night. Between pictures, dinner, speeches, dances and trying to thank everyone for coming personally, there really wasn't time. Needless to say the cigars were not smoked, at least not by me anyway. It was probably for the best because as good of a woman as my wife is, and believe me she puts up with a lot, I know she wouldn't really have wanted me to smell like cigars on our wedding day. Remember that although "you" are getting married it actually has absolutely diddly squat to do with "you". The wedding day is her day.   

There are certainly different groups of people, including wives that smoke.

I must say, that this was a very heartfelt and understanding comment about someone who understands the custom. Nicely written mate...

You have a whole life to smoke cigars. They have their time and place. Some new wives will say, "it is your day too, takes some time with your friends and have a smoke..." My wife is like that. She would go out and join us. But we are no longer kids, both married once before. Unless your new wife finds it 'edgy' and wants to partake, I say I agree wholeheartedly with the PorkyOrky here.

Nicely written mate... Hear, hear!

-Piggy

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Troels said:

Envy you people who can have everybody smoking at your weddings - sounds like a lot more cigar tolerant culture than our. 

Im quite convinced that my wife would not appriciate if I was smoking at my wedding, neither would the guests for that matter, but it seems its almost expected in some of your countries - do appriciate it! 

I've only been to one wedding like 25 years ago where everyone was smoking and passing out cigars inside at the reception.  Most areas do not allow smoking inside as they did back then.  It was a Greek wedding, FWIW. 

You're pretty new at this... so a couple things to think about:

-Regardless of the fact that you are the one getting married, the day is pretty much about EVERYONE ELSE. You are there to pose for pics, thank everyone for coming, talk to people you don't know, and make your bride feel like she's the only person in the room
-A wedding is one single day out of your entire life. The sooner you and your bride learn to accept the fact that a "perfect" wedding doesn't make for a perfect marriage... the sooner you'll enjoy the preparation and actual event

My friends all ditched me after food was served, to go smoke. I hardly ate, and spent half the time waking around with a fake smile ... while we talked and thanked people that I mostly didn't even know

I smoked a Habanos 1994 and enjoyed decades old port for breakfast before the wedding.
-

• Like 4

I would stay away from short filler. You don't want people thinking you cheated out.

There are a lot of options that won't break the bank. Slim sticks for the general crowd and something nicer for those you know will enjoy it either then or later.

H Upmann Majestic since I haven't already seen it mentioned.

Whatever you get you should get soon so you can get them in decent condition for the big day.

congrats

• Like 1

I would get smoke now cigars. My recommendation- Hoyo Petit Robusto, Monte 4, Punch Punch, and SLR Regios.  And....if it were my wedding I would have a few boxes of Cohiba Shorts sitting around.  Grab one, open the cellophane, light and smoke.  Don't like it, pitch it and keep the cool little Cohiba band.  I was messing with my singles drawer when I wrote this so I figured I would attach a pic.  First and foremost enjoy your wedding day--you only get 3.....er....1 that's what I meant to say.  

IMG_0692.JPG

• Like 4

RyJ #3 tubos for the non smokers. They get it in a tube (which is still a big draw to non smokers), it's quite a short smoke, it is not unpleasant, for them it will seem like a super premium and the price is at something you can handle (based on the other smokes in your first post!).

Anything "better" and it really is just a waste on the non-smokers.

9 hours ago, Fuzz said:

Get a couple of boxes of Quintero Favoritos, re-label with your own commemorative labels, and tell people you had these "custom" rolled for your wedding. :sneaky:

I like the idea of a 2nd band on the cigars in commemoration of your union; that would be neat!

Lots of great suggestions here. Hoyo Petit Robustos are a sure winner. I have never had a beginning cigar smoker try one and not like it. A bit smaller than the Epi 1. I also like the suggestion of RJ Coronitas en Cedro. Like the Hoyo, they are great young. I find them to be more full bodied so you have something for people who want some heft. Last wedding I went to, I got a box each of those, and also one box of non Cubans that I favor, the CAO Flathead Spark Plug. They are $2-3 a stick and very flavorful, a dark maduro with a lot of cocoa and spice.

Enjoy!

• Like 2

On a slightly related topic, has anyone offered cigars "to go" at a wedding?  I think it'd be cool to offer wedding attendees an opportunity to take a stick to smoke later, but also wouldn't want them taking them, leaving them on a counter, and having them dry out.

Mini Boveda packs with small Ziploc bags?

If tubos, how long would those cigars last before losing humidity?

Any other ideas?

On a slightly related topic, has anyone offered cigars "to go" at a wedding?  I think it'd be cool to offer wedding attendees an opportunity to take a stick to smoke later, but also wouldn't want them taking them, leaving them on a counter, and having them dry out.

Mini Boveda packs with small Ziploc bags?

If tubos, how long would those cigars last before losing humidity?

Any other ideas?

That's a really good idea. Tubos would probably be the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep your connoisseur sticks for the connoisseurs.

RyJ and Partagas are always a hit. They produce just about every size (I recommend something mareva-ish and no bigger) at a good price point.

Me, I'd get a box of RyJ Mille Fleurs or 2 and a 50 cab of Partagas Shorts

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The final selections have been made and have all arrived. My selection criteria was:
Smokes well young
Enjoyable for novice and experienced smokers
Price
Variety of vitola options
Something I will enjoy smoking the leftovers of.
aeea348265057e2148a30e1e9af98db3.jpg
Between the Easter coupon, and a good price on 24:24, I was able to fit PP and the Connie 1 into the "budget".

Thanks for all of the suggestions

• Like 3

The final selections have been made and have all arrived. My selection criteria was:
Smokes well young
Enjoyable for novice and experienced smokers
Price
Variety of vitola options
Something I will enjoy smoking the leftovers of.
aeea348265057e2148a30e1e9af98db3.jpg
Between the Easter coupon, and a good price on 24:24, I was able to fit PP and the Connie 1 into the "budget".

Thanks for all of the suggestions

Nice! Haven't received my invitation yet

On 3/9/2017 at 0:23 PM, PigFish said:

There are certainly different groups of people, including wives that smoke.

I must say, that this was a very heartfelt and understanding comment about someone who understands the custom. Nicely written mate...

You have a whole life to smoke cigars. They have their time and place. Some new wives will say, "it is your day too, takes some time with your friends and have a smoke..." My wife is like that. She would go out and join us. But we are no longer kids, both married once before. Unless your new wife finds it 'edgy' and wants to partake, I say I agree wholeheartedly with the PorkyOrky here.

Nicely written mate... Hear, hear!

-Piggy

This is some real talk, good stuff Gentle Men.

I think you've made some nice selections Dmpotpcek, now get ready to enjoy your new married life, it just plain sucks if you don't.

Here's some good [unsolicited] advice about marriage that I found valuable, it was from my front door neighbor growing up, this old fellow said, "When you get married, just remember your always courtin"... courting your wife, that is.

• Like 1