The Count of Monte Cristo

So, I'm one of those people who is generally averse to reading for pleasure, at least when books are concerned.  Nonetheless, out of curiosity, I decided to take on Dumas' novel The Count of Monte Cristo - the unabridged version.  I found I rather enjoy the old fashioned prose and the tidbits of historical intrigue...  BUT... at some 350 pages into the novel, there is still no mention of Edmond smoking stogies.  So far, he has gotten high on hashish - that's as close as he has come...

Somewhere along the way, I thought I had read that the Montecristo marca was named after the "cigar smoking hero" of Dumas' novel... was I misled?!   

My (almost certainly misinformed) understanding, was that someone used to read to the cigar rollers in the factories as they worked, kind of like entertainment.  So they would read them "The Count of Montecristo" and "Romeo and Juliet," as well as the newspaper, or whatever.  Apparently the rollers liked some of the things they were hearing better than others.  Either that, or someone told me that to see if I'd repeat it and look stupid. 

Now for something I do know about:  If you like "the Count of Montecristo," pick up "The Master and Margharita" by Mikhail Bulgakov.  Again, no one smokes cigars in the novel, but it's a really good read. 

Guest Nekhyludov
3 minutes ago, dominattorney said:

My (almost certainly misinformed) understanding, was that someone used to read to the cigar rollers in the factories as they worked, kind of like entertainment.  So they would read them "The Count of Montecristo" and "Romeo and Juliet," as well as the newspaper, or whatever.  Apparently the rollers liked some of the things they were hearing better than others.  Either that, or someone told me that to see if I'd repeat it and look stupid. 

Now for something I do know about:  If you like "the Count of Montecristo," pick up "The Master and Margharita" by Mikhail Bulgakov.  Again, no one smokes cigars in the novel, but it's a really good read. 

That's the story I heard from the tour guide at the old Partagas factory in Havana (reading novels over the PA to entertain the rollers; they still read Granma), so if it's b***s***, at least it's b***s*** from the source!

And for what it's worth, I couldn't agree more about "The Master and Margharita." It's one of the most engrossing, vivid novels I've ever read. Pretty quick read, too.

10 minutes ago, Nekhyludov said:

And for what it's worth, I couldn't agree more about "The Master and Margharita." It's one of the most engrossing, vivid novels I've ever read. Pretty quick read, too.

Whenever I meet a Russian, I can be sure they have an appreciation for Bulgakov. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, mwaller said:

Somewhere along the way, I thought I had read that the Montecristo marca was named after the "cigar smoking hero" of Dumas' novel... was I misled?!   

:o  :blink::wacko: Who the hell could have told you such an idiocy? We're talking about a literary classic, one of the most famous adventure novel ever written…

3 minutes ago, Smallclub said:

:o  :blink::wacko: Who the hell could have told you such an idiocy? We're talking about a literary classic, one of the most famous adventure novel ever written…

It appears on the Montecristo brand page of several online cigar vendors.  You believe everything you read on the internet, don't you?!

5 minutes ago, mwaller said:

It appears on the Montecristo brand page of several online cigar vendors.  You believe everything you read on the internet, don't you?!

You read the texts about marca's history and specs on cigar vendors websites????

Then I guess you believe Quai d'Orsay are mild because "the french prefer mllder blends" and Diplomaticos is a "cheaper copy of Montecristo"? :P j/k

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Smallclub said:

You read the texts about marca's history and specs on cigar vendors websites????

Then I guess you believe Quai d'Orsay are mild because "the french prefer mllder blends" and Diplomaticos is a "cheaper copy of Montecristo"? :P j/k

Oh man... you are shattering my world!  First, I can't believe the news.  Now you're telling me I can't believe what they print on the internets...

Having just finished reading the book again (I like the classics) I can say that you should notice quite a number of people smoking cigars. Especially upon return to Paris where the young men all smoke cigars when they gather and after meals.

Welcome back Lance!

6 minutes ago, 1LegLance said:

Having just finished reading the book again (I like the classics) I can say that you should notice quite a number of people smoking cigars. Especially upon return to Paris where the young men all smoke cigars when they gather and after meals.

I was gifted a copy of Herman Melville's "Moby Dick" by my co-worker in Kentucky back in the day, because he loved so much the fact that this book was primarily about "how to make it 'till  Wednesday" (to quote him!)

• Like 1

There are a few mentions of people smoking Havanas.

This was an excellent book! The (translated) language wasn't too dated and not knowing anything about the plot allowed all of the intended suspense to reach through.