Monte 2

I got a blind box of Monte 2's May 15 about 6 months ago, before finding the FoH community. I had my first after 30 days in my humidor and was underwhelmed, no construction or draw issues but not overly impressed with the flavor. My Second was a top 5 cigar experience for me, creamy smoke with chocolate and coffee notes, absolutely fantastic! Today I had the 3rd and well it led to this post... very tight draw led to the cigar going out, this led to me sucking it down to keep lit, which caused it to canoe and burn hot, muddling the flavors. Almost and probably should have pitched it but needless to say it was a less then favorable smoke. 

My question to experienced Monte 2 smokers is what percentage are typically good to bad? Does buying a PSP box drastically improve the amount of stellar cigars per box?

I've smoked Monte 2's since 1995 and they still manage to be one of my top three favorite desert island cigars.  To me they are like a good life partner: not always perfect, sometimes a pain in the ass but ultimately they understand you and you them and they just give you that special feeling.  

That being said, I will be honest in that since joining FoH and buying boxes selected by Rob my rate of bad cigars has dropped significantly and a Monte 2 is always worth spending more $$ on to make sure they keep you happy.

• Like 4

The level of quality that comes from Rob may be hard to match by many sources. I have a box of Monty 2 now. When I first got them they were underwhelming. Recently I had another and it was a completely different experience. They are aging well. Its hard to tell what the problem could be. Let them rest longer and see if that helps. Dry box them if you had a tough draw. check storage conditions.

It's like golf. You make shot after shot and you hook or you draw, and then you hit one perfect and it makes you forget all those bad shots. The Monte 2 is the same way. They are not always great, but man, when the are great they are great! Like Tony The Tiger GREAT!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Stanislaw said:

I've smoked Monte 2's since 1995 and they still manage to be one of my top three favorite desert island cigars.  To me they are like a good life partner: not always perfect, sometimes a pain in the ass but ultimately they understand you and you them and they just give you that special feeling.  

That being said, I will be honest in that since joining FoH and buying boxes selected by Rob my rate of bad cigars has dropped significantly and a Monte 2 is always worth spending more $$ on to make sure they keep you happy.

Love the analogy to a life partner, from my limited experience with the Monte 2 it seems pretty spot on! 

Thank you everyone for the feedback, I saw fantastic looking PSP boxes a week or two back and I passed because of the positive experience I just had on my current stock. That being said, next time i see a similar looking PSP, I'm jumping all over it, letting them rest for a while and then crossing my fingers for the best. 

I had great luck with my first few boxes of Monte 2s, including one with wrappers do dark and oily that they were mesmerizing just to look at, and the aroma was nearly as intoxicating as the single malt Scotch I paired them with. The taste was beyond magnificent. Then I got my current box and I rolled snake eyes. Every single one so far has burned unevenly, most had tight draws, some didn't taste like anything at all, although some did present that great Monte 2 taste through the burn problems. I have another box of 25 sitting in the humi with a 2013 date code on it and I'll probably dig into it next year. As others have said, this is not something to buy blind, and when it comes time for another box of Monte 2s in a couple of years I expect it will be a hand-selected box of PSP-grade sticks from FoH.

In my experience, it's a crap shoot. Way too much of a crap shoot for the price. Going forward, I would only get hand-picked/graded, and if I were to buy blind, I don't think I'd gamble with anything larger than a 3 pack.

But man, when they're good, they're so, so good.

• Like 1

Yes, I too have had bad Monte 2, bought prior to my joining the FoH community. I can't express enough gratitude for @El Presidente picking out both the Montecristo No.2 and Montecristo No.4 very, very carefully. He's stated this in other threads over the years, and it was a pleasure to ask him about it in person and get a detailed discussion about it.

The thing about Montecristo No.2 and Montecristo No.4 is their high volume of production/demand. As a result consistency and quality can't be maintained like other vitolas where lower production quotas means it's safer to buy 'blind'.

I don't intend to veer discussion off the main topic, but this inconsistency in quality across production is not evident in the Partagas Serie D No.4 is it? Or, is it now that this vitola has now become the highest-selling habanos cigar currently and has individually overtaken the Monte 2 and Monte 4 in worldwide demand? 

My personal experience in regards to the Montecristo No.2 is this...I've greatly enjoyed the boxes that I've purchased through 24:24 sales that Rob has inspected, overall their quality and smoking enjoyment have been very high. Other Monte 2 that I've purchased prior to FoH or have been gifted have been the exact opposite.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, JohnS said:

but this inconsistency in quality across production is not evident in the Partagas Serie D No.4 is it? Or, is it now that this vitola has now become overtaken the Monte 2 and Monte 4 in worldwide demand?

I recall Rob stating he's pretty selective in picking his D4 as well. I've seen some horrid D4. Wrappers like a brown shopping bag, soft spots, underfilled crap. And had some very bland ones. But it does seem that in the last few years, the ratio of below average D4 to good D4 has improved, where the ratio of below average Monte 2 has remained pretty much constant which is impressive since there are far more D4s produced than Monte 2s.

• Like 1

Torpedo is the most likely vitola not to have draw issues; no matter what marca.  I have basically given up on Monte 2's.  I got a good box here, a few good boxes over the years when buying in person, but if it's not a special box I would look toward something else.  Upmann No. 2 is the most consistent torpedo.  Unicos I really like, but not everyone is as into them for whatever reason.  Partagas Serie P, been buying since they came out and never been wowed. 

as for the plugged ones,  you should have a draw poker.

I salvage 95 % of the plugged sticks I get. period.

I therefore have a much higher % of pleasurable smokes in every box.

The % of stellar cigars then totally depends on the box, and I get more of these from the 24:24 program.

I had always wanted a vendor who would hand pick a box for me,and now I have found one.

Sometimes I pay a little more for a box,I really consider it a bargain.

I will add that in the last 2 years, the best boxes I have of large format cigars have come from 24:24............

also, the absolute best Monte 4 boxes I own came from here...........

• Like 1

Never had a bad one. There have been some minor flavor vaiations only. That being said.. I have only bought PSP/HQ boxes from our host & would suggest you do the same. You might be able to buy blind & save some money. I don't see the risk of getting a mediocre or bad  box worth saving a $1 or $2 a cigar.

• Like 1

Add me to the long list of those who have had the displeasure of receiving sub-par boxes of Monte #2.  For the most part the bad sticks suffered from construction and burn issues, not necessarily bad flavor.  I eventually learned not to buy Monte #2 blind, which translated to a long dry spell of not buying Monte #2 at all.  Thanks to FOH the dry spell ended and I can finally buy Monte #2 with confidence.  Thank you Rob!!! :)

• Like 2

Count me among those who have had inconsistent MC#2s through the past 20 years. When they are on, they rock! When they're not, they are average at best. I've had boxes with both within it.  

I've had some dud boxes of Monty #2's flavor wise but very few that had construction issues. Wish I could say the same for the Edmundo's, I've got a box right now from 2013 that has been really disappointing. Some are okay, some aren't worth the butane it takes to light them. 

Of course historically the stick I've personally had the least luck with is the Partagas Serie D #4. Perhaps I'll try them again if I can score a hand selected box. 

• Like 1

"Of course historically the stick I've personally had the least luck with is the Partagas Serie D #4. Perhaps I'll try them again if I can score a hand selected box."

followed closely for me by RASS.................:looking:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The pictures will not do my description justice, that out of the way, I received a box of HQ Monte 2's today and wow what a difference from my blind box purchase. The color is several shades darker, the sheen is in your face and oh my god the aroma is like no other box I have (including several other PSP/HQ boxes) I could sit here all day and just soak in the smell! 

I created this thread inquiring about the differences between a PSP/HQ box vs an average run of the mill box one may get when buying blind. Deep down I knew the answer and I just didn't want to face the fact of all the money wasted buying blind. I can't emphasis enough, this was before I found the FoH community! 

I just received my HQ box today and need to let them rest before diving in but from the looks of things (and smell for that matter) I couldn't be happier. I will update the thread in a month or two when I finally smoke one, but I can't imagine them being anything short of fantastic. 

As for the Hand Picked vs Buying Blind question, I'll write that off as ingnorance of a newbie! A mistake I surely won't be making again. Thank you Rob to you and your team for the killer cigars, it is much appreciated!

Picture one is the HQ cigar draped over the blind cigar, picture two is the HQ box. 

IMG_0485.JPG

IMG_0482.JPG

• Like 2