1 3 4 5......Answer a question for me.

I had a question come in overnight. One of those questions that is better answered with a broader forum perspective. 

"I enjoy the Monte 2 quite a lot but would like to enter into the thinner rings of Monte. I am just confused. 

Is the only difference between the Montecristo Number 1 3 4 5 the size? Do they have the same blend?. 

Or is there a unique flavour experience to each. If so, would you mind detailing the difference in flavours between each?"

Over to you fine people. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

My personal experience...

I love a Monte 2. Maybe never had a "bad" one. Some better than others mind you.

I enjoy Monte flavor in all sizes. The best one in recent memory was a Monte 4. I posted on FOH that "it blew my head off".

I think there could be differences in blend but personally I always taste that underlying Montecristo flavor...

• Like 1

Even if they are the same blend, different sizes and lengths will smoke different.  Corona and Lonsdale are just two different cigars...  They do have a similar Montecristo flavor when at their best.  Finding a good box of Monte 2's is quite difficult.  The Petite Tubo is the Montecristo to buy IMO if considering No. 1 - 5.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

My response to this question would be:

I've personally found over the last 10 years of pretty regularly smoking Monte is that the 1, 3 and 4 seem to have an identical blend. The quality is the difference here--I think the Monte 3 is the most consistent in all areas, followed by the 1 and the 4. If I had to buy one blind, the Monte 3 is the one.

The Monte 2 is all over the place and has been for as long as I can remember. Wildly inconsistent and not as uniform in taste or profile as the 42 RG models. I'd never buy it blind, and I've smoked very good ones that tasted quite different, and some that had very few if any flavors in common with the typical Monte profile. I could sometimes swear that the Monte 2 and the VR Unicos are indistinguishable. And I've smoked a ton of bad ones, which I can say has been less the case with the 1, 3 and 4.

The Monte 5 is an interesting little bugger. I think it's ultimately the best Monte, except for the fact that its so small I get agitated. As soon as it starts getting warmed up, its over. So I get very annoyed by its size. I think the blend is a bit richer than the 42 RGs. But it's rare when I can specifically recall smoking Perlas from years past--yes, Monte 5s can be that good. There's a reason many people got hooked on CCs with this little gem.

As far as the Especiales, I've had some poor results with recent production ROTT since about 2012. These were smoking great fresh from 08-11, and then seemed to need a lot of rest like the Cohiba Laguitos do. When these are on, they may be the best Montecristos. But I think they do need some time down and variation within a box can be great.

^ This. Nailed it.

13 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I've personally found over the last 10 years of pretty regularly smoking Monte is that the 1, 3 and 4 seem to have an identical blend. The quality is the difference here--I think the Monte 3 is the most consistent in all areas, followed by the 1 and the 4. If I had to buy one blind, the Monte 3 is the one.

The Monte 2 is all over the place and has been for as long as I can remember. Wildly inconsistent and not as uniform in taste or profile as the 42 RG models. I'd never buy it blind, and I've smoked very good ones that tasted quite different, and some that had very few if any flavors in common with the typical Monte profile. I could sometimes swear that the Monte 2 and the VR Unicos are indistinguishable. And I've smoked a ton of bad ones, which I can say has been less the case with the 1, 3 and 4.

The Monte 5 is an interesting little bugger. I think it's ultimately the best Monte, except for the fact that its so small I get agitated. As soon as it starts getting warmed up, its over. So I get very annoyed by its size. I think the blend is a bit richer than the 42 RGs. But it's rare when I can specifically recall smoking Perlas from years past--yes, Monte 5s can be that good. There's a reason many people got hooked on CCs with this little gem.

As far as the Especiales, I've had some poor results with recent production ROTT since about 2012. These were smoking great fresh from 08-11, and then seemed to need a lot of rest like the Cohiba Laguitos do. When these are on, they may be the best Montecristos. But I think they do need some time down and variation within a box can be great.

... good post mate! -tP

45 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Great answer!

51766313.jpg

Not really...someone will be in to argue....:rotfl:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

The Monte 2 is all over the place and has been for as long as I can remember. Wildly inconsistent and not as uniform in taste or profile as the 42 RG models.

This.

I'd even dare to say that IMO the Monte 2 is the "less" Montecristo in the numeroted series.

• Like 3

I used to like Montecristo No.2 quite a bit, but for some reason anything made after 2012 has been so average. The blends between the 1,2,3,4,5 probably don't differ that much. If I were nitpicking, I'd say that the blend in the 1 and 3 are a bit milder.

I have 10 year old and younger boxes of monte 1 2 3 4 and 1 3 and 4 do have very similar tastes to me personally it is almost the same cigar and I smoke those according to the time I have. the 2 on the other hand  I always get lots of chocolate   which I don't seem to ever get in the others  the 5 I never had but my favorite one is the monte 1 just cause I love the lonsdale size although the PC is close as well

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dave001 said:

I have 10 year old and younger boxes of monte 1 2 3 4 and 1 3 and 4 do have very similar tastes to me personally it is almost the same cigar and I smoke those according to the time I have. the 2 on the other hand  I always get lots of chocolate   which I don't seem to ever get in the others  the 5 I never had but my favorite one is the monte 1 just cause I love the lonsdale size although the PC is close as well

Echoing Dave and NSX, I do find the blends and flavors to be very similar across the range. I don't smoke many 5s, theyre just too small. I have smoked multipl boxes of 1s, 3s, 4s, and 2s. I have found more inconsistency across different boxes than I have different sizes. I choose which size I want based on how long I want to invest rather than searching for a particular flavor. I do find the chocolate note is the strongest across the line, but I have a box of 1s right now that have a down right sour hit. I also find they get creamier with age. The 2s I have been smoking from more recent production are certainly not what they were a few years ago, but they are still good. 

• Like 1

Um seems that I'm a lover of the 1's, 3's and 5's less so the 4's and 2's.

1's seem the mildest / sweeter than the others.  3's closer to the 1's than 4's.

5's short blast of choc. / coca great flavor.  Don't buy the 4's or 2's.

I may be short changing myself but I'd rather spend the coin on the

1's, 3's and 5's.  As of 2013 through 2015 the 1's and 3's / 5's

have been outstanding.  The 1's and 3's were  flying under the radar for the longest

time but looks like the peoples of the FOH world have found out that

for the money they are well worth it.  Love the feel of the 1's and 3's in my

hand and mouth.  Anything larger than rg of 46 just is not my cup of tea.

Oh a few exceptions; RyJ Short Redish Churchills, CoRo's and larger Siglos,

Also a few other robusto which I must say I enjoy.

I should also mention the Tubos No 1 which I find to be much more consistent overall than the Monte 1. It's also an absolutely perfect size. While I do appreciate the Lonsdale, I'm really a Corona man and the Long Corona is just a perfect vitola for me. Also, no box press. There's obviously the price premium, but I've had way more Monte 1 duds than Tubos No 1 duds in the last 5 years. 

I'm assuming the Tubos No 2 is similar, but as I get older I find spending serious money on Marevas to be somewhat unfulfilling. It's just that much too short for me, and almost every one I smoke I wish it was a Corona. I'm running into the same problem with Minutos. I pretty much stick to the Monte 3, Tubos No 1 and Especiales No 2 for Monte these days.

• Like 1

I am no MC expert but I noticed a big difference in the presentation of flavors in an Especial #2 rather than in a #2 or a #4. The presentation is much more elegant. The cocoa flavor is crisper and hard to miss and the chocolate is more subtle. The citrus zing on the retro is much easier to pick up than other sizes.
I have an 07 Especial box that is acclimating but based on reviews and notes of many here, it would serve you well to add a skinny MC to your collection. The difference in presentation alone is worth it.
Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

the monte especials are in a class above any of the numbered sticks the older these are the more amazing they become its my all time favorite stick the Laquito no 1 and I have boxes of these going back to the 1980s (definitely knew to stock my favorite cigar of all time) vanilla bean ginger spice coffee wood very complex once these cigars hit the 20 year mark just typing about it I know what ill be smoking tonight LOL

• Like 1

Not a fan of the Monte 2.  Just way too inconsistent for my tastes.  Maybe 1/5 will be a winner and I've smoked quite a bit from a wide range of years/box codes.

• Really enjoy the Monte 1.  I always get a nice hit of coffee and vanilla on them.
  • The Monte 3, I haven't touched.  The Monte 4 is pretty consistent IMO.  4/5 are winners in my book.
  • The Monte 5 is a pretty decent stick too, just not something I chase.

As for the Especials.

LOVE the No 1.  Flavour wise, they've been solid. I've had the odd one that had brutal draws, but the blend is tasty.  Then..the No 2...not even close. I've smoked about 10+ from various boxes/years and they don't come close to the Espy 1.

I'd say it's universal the Especial is step up from the regular Montecristo line up.  As mentioned eariler by me, that in tubo presentation, the Montecristo really shines.

How come no one mentioned the "A"?  I love them and they are in my regular rotation, but it's a cigar that no one talks about...

1 hour ago, BrightonCorgi said:

I'd say it's universal the Especial is step up from the regular Montecristo line up.

I'd say generally yes, but the Especiales seem to need quite a bit of down time these days and have had a lot of inconsistency. However, if I had to pick any Monte at its absolute best, I'd probably go with the Especiales. Even over a great No 2.