New México Regional

55 minutes ago, sjmistry said:

I would like to try as well,  sounds very tasty after reading the review by @NSXCIGAR

Any splits being hosted,  or am I asking in the wrong place (or breaking rules)? LMK either way please. 

Thanks

-Shake

I would be in in a split too. The problem is that those who can grab a box probably will not want split it.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Road Trip To Albuquerque !!!

Just heard from Alex Avellar new Edmundo Dantes Conde Belicoso is reaching shelves next month. 140x52

Now for some more concrete information. Last night at a cigar bar in Mexico City I happened to share a smoke with the Mexican Distributor for Habanos.  He showed me a picture and some more information

Stopped by to visit Carlos Fernandez at LCDH TJ yesterday. I was able to get one box. Price as mentioned above and they had singles available. They had very low stock.  Hope its not against the rules but they take phone orders and at least in the past shipping was free. From what it looks like the majority of their business is over the phone, not in store.

I bought a of bottle HC selection de Maestros at the liquor store in Tijuana for $40. Included a ED Belicoso as a white elephant gift. Needless to say my gift was snatched up quick. 

Had no problem crossing border with cigars or rum. I have SENTRI, trusted traveler, for crossing and when he asked me what I had to bring back, he didn't care about the cigars or rum. 

Btw, my box was pulled out of a shipping box from Habanos that they were barely placing in the humidor, not sure if it was new stock but I know Moises didn't have many more in the box and he mentioned a list, so they could be accounted for already. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, compitaveggie said:

Stopped by to visit Carlos Fernandez at LCDH TJ yesterday. I was able to get one box. Price as mentioned above and they had singles available. They had very low stock.  Hope its not against the rules but they take phone orders and at least in the past shipping was free. From what it looks like the majority of their business is over the phone, not in store.

I bought a of bottle HC selection de Maestros at the liquor store in Tijuana for $40. Included a ED Belicoso as a white elephant gift. Needless to say my gift was snatched up quick. 

Had no problem crossing border with cigars or rum. I have SENTRI, trusted traveler, for crossing and when he asked me what I had to bring back, he didn't care about the cigars or rum. 

Btw, my box was pulled out of a shipping box from Habanos that they were barely placing in the humidor, not sure if it was new stock but I know Moises didn't have many more in the box and he mentioned a list, so they could be accounted for already. 

Thanks for sharing bro!

I asked the price from the owner of la casa del habano PDC and he said 30$. When I yeasterday visited the shop the the boss was not there and the price was 35$. I did not buy at all because I don't like this kind on game. I just walked away.

6 hours ago, Homer said:

I asked the price from the owner of la casa del habano PDC and he said 30$. When I yeasterday visited the shop the the boss was not there and the price was 35$. I did not buy at all because I don't like this kind on game. I just walked away.

Was the price marked $35? Giving discounts from the marked prices at MX LCDHs are fairly common and the owner quoting a lower price wouldn't surprise me. I would have just said to the employee that the owner told me $30 and I'm sure you would have received that price. I guess one could see that as playing games I suppose, but I think the owner was simply giving you a discount after a conversation. If the prices aren't marked, I'd say there's something shady going on.

BTW, I paid $30 in Tijuana, and the marked price is $33. If it was any other cigar, I'd have paid even less.

• Like 1

I tried to tell the guy that owner promised 30$ per stick but it did not helped. I contacted the owner next day and he told me that the 30$ was international internet price but promised to sell me a box at 30$/stick. I went back and bought the box for my friend who is a serious cigar collector. I did not buy box for myself because of the high price.

On 12/8/2016 at 10:39 PM, NSXCIGAR said:

Back to report:

LCDH Tijuana is selling singles for $33 each, boxes for $315. I have sampled one along with a friend and the results were similar.

IMAG0423_1.jpg

Cigar appeared well-constructed with no soft spots and solid feel. The wrapper was colorado and with many light blue veins and slightly dry and toothy. Not oily at all. Looked very much like a Connecticut wrapper. Cigar has been in ideal storage conditions for at least two weeks. Draw was perfect pre-light.

During initial lighting, wrapper did not want to burn. Hard to get a full red end with my butane torch. Wrapper seemed very paper-like and flaky. This would unfortunately be a pattern with this cigar. What you see here was representative of the cigar the whole way, and only burned this much because I was torching the hell out of it to that point, even one inch in:

IMAG0426.jpg

This burn issue was simply not going away. What you see here was just the beginning. This wrapper did not want to burn. Again, it was not a thick wrapper. It was simply fireproof. I was touching up the cigar with my torch nearly every minute. If I wanted the wrapper to burn, I needed the torch. I can't remember the last time I smoked any cigar that burned so poorly. Maybe a Hoyo Regalos with the notorious fireproof wrapper? No pics of the cigar further along because I was fighting it the whole time with my torch. 

Now, on to the flavors: excellent. I'm very conflicted about this cigar because of the god-awful construction that I simply could not get past. But the flavors were very much there. This cigar has a core of a beautiful, rich, slightly bitter almond-like nuttiness. Unlike anything I know of in other brands. It's very unique, and very good. It's also very creamy. This almond-like core never disappeared and was joined by some very light spiciness in the 2nd third and light woodiness in the final third. All medium bodied, and never bland. Definitely a good blend and great seco.

I can't help thinking this cigar could have been even better if the burn had been even close to acceptable. It was absolutely atrocious--and I do mean atrocious. Made the cigar thoroughly unenjoyable and a chore to smoke. So I cannot give one score to this cigar because it would be an 82. The flavors of this cigar are a 95. The construction of this cigar is a 70. And I simply cannot understand how a product like this can perform so poorly. And to reiterate, my friend also had a very poor burn, though not quite as bad as mine. We were in agreement about the flavors as well and the scores. 

I hope the two examples of this cigar were flukes and that some others get some with even manageable construction because as they were for me, it was absolutely unenjoyable despite the terrific flavors. Caveat emptor.

I was going to let mine rest. They arrived from Mexico yesterday. Your review and burn issues really peaked my interest. Given they arrived yesterday (late) I imagine they just came in to Mexico from the Island and have been traveling for a while. I can say for certain that the one suspect I am smoking now has zero burn issues. The draw is in the perfect range. I'm a third of the way through and there are no construction issues. On the other hand I won't be touching these until again until February...as they need a good rest before they can be fairly judged.

11 hours ago, smll2 said:

I was going to let mine rest. They arrived from Mexico yesterday. Your review and burn issues really peaked my interest. Given they arrived yesterday (late) I imagine they just came in to Mexico from the Island and have been traveling for a while. I can say for certain that the one suspect I am smoking now has zero burn issues. The draw is in the perfect range. I'm a third of the way through and there are no construction issues. On the other hand I won't be touching these until again until February...as they need a good rest before they can be fairly judged.

Good to know.

I'm sincerely hoping the two I experienced firsthand were isolated cases. As I mentioned, the two sticks smoked in my presence only had been in ideal conditions for only two weeks. I'm hoping these just need a few months to settle. I will say the burn issues I experienced were truly awful. But it seems there is hope yet for these. I did very much like the flavors and it seems the Edmundo Dantes releases are 3 for 3 in that regard. Once in a great while, HSA gets a special release right.

By my estimate (which is very rudimentary) if even 50 locations received 20 boxes (same allotment as Tijuana) that's only 1000 boxes released so far. Even if it's double that, the vast majority are still on the way. Hopefully they'll be readily available for most of 2017 for whoever wants them.

I'd certainly get them as it's been confirmed that this will apparently be the last Edmundo Dantes special release. There's a rumor that it may become a regular production brand, however. It will be interesting as HSA appears to have something unique and worth continuing with the ED brand. Perhaps the significant increase in production on the Conde Belicosos from the 109 and 54 is a sign that the tobacco is much more plentiful.now. It's been 18 years since HSA has introduced a new brand. I'd welcome it.

• Like 2

On 12/11/2016 at 9:45 AM, oliverdst said:

I would be in in a split too. The problem is that those who can grab a box probably will not want split it.

With only 10 cigars in a box, it's a hard box to spilt. Just got mine today. 

IMG_0012.JPG

IMG_0013.JPG

• Like 1

from Cigar Aficionado:

According to Max Gutmann, who distributes Habanos cigars in Mexico, this figuado will be the last of the Edmundo Dantes line to be sold exclusively in Mexico. The Edmundo Dantes band resembles Montecristo in color and frontmarks, and was specifically created for the Mexican market. Gutmann says that Habanos apparently is planning to start selling Edmundo Dantes worldwide. It is unclear whether the brand will be sold as a Regional Edition for other markets or as a full-fledged brand for the rest of the world.

regards

Lars

• Like 1