New México Regional

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Road Trip To Albuquerque !!!

Just heard from Alex Avellar new Edmundo Dantes Conde Belicoso is reaching shelves next month. 140x52

Now for some more concrete information. Last night at a cigar bar in Mexico City I happened to share a smoke with the Mexican Distributor for Habanos.  He showed me a picture and some more information

Hey I'm still new to regionals.  How do we know these will be any good? 

No idea, but given the hype around previous RE Mexico, everybody wants to get a piece of the action, just in case they're close to as good as the ED54 or ED109.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SinfullyPatient said:

Hey I'm still new to regionals.  How do we know these will be any good? 

I'm pretty ambivalent about REs in general as most I've smoked are mediocre and some really blah. IMO there have been only about a dozen REs ever produced that could be considered "excellent". However the two previous Edmundo Dantes releases have been very highly regarded, although total production on the Conde Belicosos will exceed the total of the previous two combined. If they are good, which I will be confirming this week, demand will be high and these will be sought after as highly as the others.

1 hour ago, dshapiro said:

My amigo just got back from the LCDH in Tijuana. I had him check the pricing out and he reported back $48USD. Not sure if it would be cheaper if you paid with Mexican pesos. 

$48 dollars a box? Not sure if I can buy a Dutch Master's box of cigars for that cheap?

2 hours ago, dshapiro said:

My amigo just got back from the LCDH in Tijuana. I had him check the pricing out and he reported back $48USD. Not sure if it would be cheaper if you paid with Mexican pesos. 

That'd be per stick, and is also the gringo price if you know what I mean. Those with existing relationships there usually have some wiggle room but this particular cigar may be an exception. That being said, even at $40 that's a whole lotta bread for a stick, although the price for the Conde 109s and the 54s singles were more than that I believe.

Also, USD has always been generally preferred in Tijuana. Much stronger currency and is accepted everywhere. All prices at the LCDH are in USD.

I'll be down there this week to check out the situation as well.

That'd be per stick, and is also the gringo price if you know what I mean. Those with existing relationships there usually have some wiggle room but this particular cigar may be an exception. That being said, even at $40 that's a whole lotta bread for a stick, although the price for the Conde 109s and the 54s singles were more than that I believe.

Also, USD has always been generally preferred in Tijuana. Much stronger currency and is accepted everywhere. All prices at the LCDH are in USD.

I'll be down there this week to check out the situation as well.

30 dollar a stick for Conde 54 last time I was in a lcdh in Mexico

LCDH Cancun is getting $100 a stick for the Conde 54 as of two weeks ago!

1 hour ago, Pixa said:

30 dollar a stick for Conde 54 last time I was in a lcdh in Mexico

LCDH Cancun is getting $100 a stick for the Conde 54 as of two weeks ago!

And what does that have to do with the price of oranges

We are talking about price at release. I am sure a certain lcdh in Europe would try and sell them at 150 usd a stick but few are daft enough to pay that

Back to report:

LCDH Tijuana is selling singles for $33 each, boxes for $315. I have sampled one along with a friend and the results were similar.

IMAG0423_1.jpg

Cigar appeared well-constructed with no soft spots and solid feel. The wrapper was colorado and with many light blue veins and slightly dry and toothy. Not oily at all. Looked very much like a Connecticut wrapper. Cigar has been in ideal storage conditions for at least two weeks. Draw was perfect pre-light.

During initial lighting, wrapper did not want to burn. Hard to get a full red end with my butane torch. Wrapper seemed very paper-like and flaky. This would unfortunately be a pattern with this cigar. What you see here was representative of the cigar the whole way, and only burned this much because I was torching the hell out of it to that point, even one inch in:

IMAG0426.jpg

This burn issue was simply not going away. What you see here was just the beginning. This wrapper did not want to burn. Again, it was not a thick wrapper. It was simply fireproof. I was touching up the cigar with my torch nearly every minute. If I wanted the wrapper to burn, I needed the torch. I can't remember the last time I smoked any cigar that burned so poorly. Maybe a Hoyo Regalos with the notorious fireproof wrapper? No pics of the cigar further along because I was fighting it the whole time with my torch. 

Now, on to the flavors: excellent. I'm very conflicted about this cigar because of the god-awful construction that I simply could not get past. But the flavors were very much there. This cigar has a core of a beautiful, rich, slightly bitter almond-like nuttiness. Unlike anything I know of in other brands. It's very unique, and very good. It's also very creamy. This almond-like core never disappeared and was joined by some very light spiciness in the 2nd third and light woodiness in the final third. All medium bodied, and never bland. Definitely a good blend and great seco.

I can't help thinking this cigar could have been even better if the burn had been even close to acceptable. It was absolutely atrocious--and I do mean atrocious. Made the cigar thoroughly unenjoyable and a chore to smoke. So I cannot give one score to this cigar because it would be an 82. The flavors of this cigar are a 95. The construction of this cigar is a 70. And I simply cannot understand how a product like this can perform so poorly. And to reiterate, my friend also had a very poor burn, though not quite as bad as mine. We were in agreement about the flavors as well and the scores. 

I hope the two examples of this cigar were flukes and that some others get some with even manageable construction because as they were for me, it was absolutely unenjoyable despite the terrific flavors. Caveat emptor.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, malakai said:

Not available as of today at LCDH TJ however I am told more in January.

Holy crap that was fast. Sold 6 singles and multiple boxes in less than 24 hrs and the TJ LCDH is not a very high-traffic location. I know there was a phone call while I was there requesting some yesterday, however. They maybe only had 20 boxes total. Luckily, the Conde Belicosos production will exceed both previous totals combined, so more should trickle in.

I also spotted two Conde 109 boxes on the shelf, and I was dumb enough to ask the price...:surprised: Well into the multiple thousands. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lotusguy said:

Got my box. The stickers were relatively easy to remove without too much damage. Looking good.
de3d54ce319ebff1bb5ea3b425cf53e8.jpg
8754a3f27a7a186c4ac867b00de7c890.jpg
8dfb1d16abd7306d6872c65d391e6420.jpg

Any special trick for removing the stickers or did you just peel carefully?

Any special trick for removing the stickers or did you just peel carefully?

Actually, not so carefully - I am impatient ;) They were freshly applied and so I could still just pull them off slowly. It took off the top layer of the warranty seal but the barcode in front is still intact.
  • Like 1