Your reviews for Blind Tasting Cigar Number 3?.....Post here.

El Presidente

I'm 0-for-2 thus far so continue reading at your own peril...

Upon lighting up mystery stick #3, I was greeted by alternating puffs of leather and sweet tobacco flavors (literally every other puff was one or the other for the first 8 - 10 puffs). Smooth and creamy on the finish. So far I like this cigar.

About halfway through, the cigar became a little darker in flavor as the sweetness was dialed back. I picked up little chocolate or cocoa maybe during this part of the cigar.

Last third was a bit sweeter and I swore I picked up a hint of coconut and banana...each for one puff and then gone. Strange, but tasty.

Overall, I enjoyed this cigar and would definitely buy a box. I think I have a pretty good idea of what it is (famous last words) but I'll mull it over for a few more days before emailing Lisa.

Good luck everyone.

It must take a serious sociopath to keep on running this competition year upon year.... Oh did I say that out loud!?

Mine was round, tasted of tobacco and cedar. A little bit of some sort of light spice through the nose. Not sure what. Medium to full bodied I thought.

When will there be wooden spoon prizes rob !?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On 5/18/2016 at 6:55 PM, LordAnubis said:

It must take a serious sociopath to keep on running this competition year upon year.... Oh did I say that out loud!?

Mine was round, tasted of tobacco and cedar. A little bit of some sort of light spice through the nose. Not sure what. Medium to full bodied I thought.

When will there be wooden spoon prizes rob !?!?

Not enough spoons lol3.gif

• Like 2

I didn't write a formal review while smoking, but this is my takeaway for what it's worth.

Construction was on par, some soft spots and the burn was a little wonky throughout; needed a relight at some point, but nothing serious. Flavors were on the "bassy" side. Leather, sweet moist earth, some cocoa, medium spice on the retrohale. No ammonia or off-putting signs of youth, but I think this cigar would show better after a few more years of rest to let the flavors become more distinct and shine more. I think this cigar is kind of in its adolescence, trying to decide where it's going in life.

Would I buy this cigar? Too early to tell in my opinion. Maybe I would pick up a box of these to let rest for 2-5 more years to see how they mature, but I don't think I'd be smoking these in the first year after receiving them. In any case this continues to be a fun challenge and experiment!

• Like 1

After my epic fails in 1 & 2, I have absolutely no hesitation in sticking my head in the noose again.

Construction - looks pretty good.

Nose - creamy coffee

Cold draw - good draw, very slightly on tight side. No dominating flavour. Hint of citrus. Maybe.

1st third - mild opening, quickly moves to medium. Smoke volume improves with strength step-up. White pepper and tobacco. Bit of brown sugar on the lips. Strong tobacco taste. Cookie dough? (I'm so bad at this) on the retro. Wonky burn but corrected itself. Very dry mouthfeel. Tanniny. Young. Towards end of third settling into sweet fruit and nut. White pepper still but less so.

2nd third - flash of menthol. Much smoother and sweeter now. Creamy coffee. Barnyard dominating. Still white pepper. Tobacco and barnyard. Earthy. Menthol again.

3rd third - touch up. Menthol again. Earth. Sweaty. Step up to medium full. Meaty. Menthol persists.

Overall - All elbows and knees. Earthy, meaty. Not smoked anything like this.

Can't say I enjoyed this one. Seemed full of youthful awkwardness to me. But judging by 1 & 2, I have a somewhat backward palate.

Construction: Rustic. Honestly it wasn't a handsome looking cigar at all. But it was well constructed. felt solid.

Nose: Coffee and barnyard

Cold Draw: perfect draw, coffee and cedar.

Cigar was pretty good overall. It was an ugly duckling but the tastes were great. Perfect burn, never needed a touch up despite the windy conditions.

Flavors were cedar, leather and coffee. Dry smoke, but the smoke output was a bit lacking throughout. No strength at all. Did pick up a bit of a sweet grass during the second third. Didn't get any youthful grit until the back half of the final third. Earth picked up during the second third.

Decent cigar. Got a hunch but probably wrong.

Was very excited for this cigar as i had the time to relax and enjoy a larger format tonight. Was terribly disappointed. Pre-draw was extremely tight. Used a variety of tools to make it better, which was somewhat successful, but my work did not pay off overall. Dry, youthful smoke. Pitched it halfway through, the first stick I've pitched early in a long time.

• Like 1

Smoked Cigar #3 yesterday. I really enjoyed this cigar. Started with a strong toast flavor with light leather and fruit back ground. About half way through the leather really started coming out and toast was replace with dark chocolate. As I think I know what it is i'm probably 180 degrees wrong... LOL Can't wait to see what this is.

• Like 1

It quit raining long enough for me to smoke cigar #3 this afternoon.

My cigar had a slightly veiny colorado wrapper and had a floral aroma. Clipped it, draw seemed tight...lit it, the draw was perfect (strange how that happens).

1st third - The cigar started out with a nutty, sweet smoke. The smoke left my mouth drier than normal. I loved the sweet aroma of the burn.

2nd third - Much of the same as the first third with hints of toasty, woodiness if I smoked too fast or drew too hard.

Final third - More sweet nuttiness. A definite theme with this cigar.

Even though there wasn't much change in flavors throughout the cigar, I enjoyed it very much. I would describe the smoke as delicate and the flavors subtle...the slower I smoked and the easier I drew on the cigar, the more the sweet, nuttiness presented itself.

In between the storms last Sun here in Perth, I had a few contracts to read and I thought this cigar would be hold me over for the 2 odd hours needed.

I enjoyed the first third to half and got the sweetness, with some slightly floral flavours. It was coming along nicely.

The burn was a little uneven, but over the length and in the outside conditions what do you expect.

Had to relight twice when the cigar was in the second half. This part of the cigar was hard work. The flavours were muted and difficult to distinguish, it was like hearing a single note over and over.

I was on the sparkling water with lemon to try and keep my palate fresh as I thought I wouldn't be able to taste anything after an hour on this cigar. I just had in my mind, dry earth for the last 45 min and left around 2" in the ashtray.

Should say I don't regularly smoke this vitola.

Looks like I'm heading for 0/3 at this stage.

Cigar 3

Double corona

Cold aroma:

Tobacco, stone fruit, burnt earth, ash

Cold draw:

Grass, hay, and a touch of fresh black cherry/stone fruit.

Light 10:15

First light:

Lots of salt/umami flavor, a little bit meaty.  

Lots of meat and salt flavor, a little bit of a white pepper spice. Only got about half way through before I couldn't take anymore. A double corona is just too big for my taste. It's a good cigar but I don't see myself ever buying one of this size. Robusto or smaller is my preferred range. 

Put out at 11:25pm

On May 24, 2016 at 9:11 PM, Nrengle said:

Cigar 3

Double corona

Cold aroma:

Tobacco, stone fruit, burnt earth, ash

Cold draw:

Grass, hay, and a touch of fresh black cherry/stone fruit.

Light 10:15

First light:

Lots of salt/umami flavor, a little bit meaty.  

Lots of meat and salt flavor, a little bit of a white pepper spice. Only got about half way through before I couldn't take anymore. A double corona is just too big for my taste. It's a good cigar but I don't see myself ever buying one of this size. Robusto or smaller is my preferred range. 

Put out at 11:25pm

I haven't smoked mine yet, but mine isn't a double corona. 

• Like 1

Good construction. Colorado wrapper on the dark side. Good draw. Appears to be a Churchill 47x7”.

Cold draw hay, sweet tobacco, nuts and a bit of salt.

Light to med body, on the light. Good smoke output, lots of milky smoke nuts, cedar, sweet baking spices, something almost metallic. Nice nutty and woody cedary aroma. Into 2nd third sweetness recede, spices remain and it gets more woody, body gets fuller, burn dead even from the start. Metallic taste goes away. Smooth as silk through the nose. Pecans and walnuts. Last third nuttiness goes away, pepper comes on, lots of oakey wood and earth dominate. Smoke gets creamier. Med-Full body, strength builds in last third. Now just peppery wood earth and tobacco. No more flavor of nuts, but aroma is still nutty. Perfect burn all the way, no relights. Nubbed it. Very nice! I would buy them.

Smoked with sweet black tea. Smoking time 1 hr 50 minutes.

On May 25, 2016 at 11:09 PM, DrunkenMonkey said:

I haven't smoked mine yet, but mine isn't a double corona. 

Just going by cubancigarwebsite and tape measure at the time...

3 hours ago, Nrengle said:

Just going by cubancigarwebsite and tape measure at the time...

Maybe it was mislabled,  the 3 is suppose to be a churchill, and the 5 is a dc

• Like 1

On 5/29/2016 at 12:57 AM, TomF said:
Good construction. Colorado wrapper on the dark side. Good draw. Appears to be a Churchill 47x7”.

Cold draw hay, sweet tobacco, nuts and a bit of salt.

Light to med body, on the light. Good smoke output, lots of milky smoke nuts, cedar, sweet baking spices, something almost metallic. Nice nutty and woody cedary aroma. Into 2nd third sweetness recede, spices remain and it gets more woody, body gets fuller, burn dead even from the start. Metallic taste goes away. Smooth as silk through the nose. Pecans and walnuts. Last third nuttiness goes away, pepper comes on, lots of oakey wood and earth dominate. Smoke gets creamier. Med-Full body, strength builds in last third. Now just peppery wood earth and tobacco. No more flavor of nuts, but aroma is still nutty. Perfect burn all the way, no relights. Nubbed it. Very nice! I would buy them.

Smoked with sweet black tea. Smoking time 1 hr 50 minutes.

This pretty much summed up my experience. I haven't had too many Churchills so it's a guess for me but I'm looking forward to finding out what this cigar is as I am a fan.

Smoked mine over the weekend.  Very firm draw, even with a few weeks in the drybox.  Darker flavors for me...black coffee, earth, wood.  The draw really limited my enjoyment so I only got through about 2/3, it never opened up for me (despite my poking, prodding and massaging the heck out of it).  Your guess is as good as mine!

Blind #3

Being 0-2 I hesitated to put up a review, but why not.  Maybe there'll be a prize for doing all the reviews!  

Cold draw--light citrus, hay, tobacco 

Beginning--Nice smooth tobacco plenty of light smoke light spice in draw and nose.  

Picking up some strength now in 1st 3rd about up to medium slight pepper through nose.  2nd Third I get mostly earth, light spice, light pepper through nose, pretty much the whole cigar is this combo--Leather, Earth, light Spice, with slight pepper burn through nose.  Got a little bit grubby toward end, but not terribly so.  Good cigar, would buy these, but would want a little age on them prior to smoking.  Mine drew and burned very well.  Have one marca in mind, but still throwing darts likely, maybe I'll get lucky this time.

CAUTION READ AT YOUR OWN RISK:

What amazes me about this contest is how different peoples experiences are with the same cigars.  How much of this variation is between the smoker and how much is due to the smoke is fascinating to consider.

My stick was very rich thru the first 2 thirds.  There were deep fruity flavors (maybe cherry), although be warned this may be in my imagination.  There was also coffee peaking out in the second third.  Definitely rich tobacco and a bit earthy flavor.

I did not get creamy or much spice, or leather.  

My stick was med-full and heavy on the nicotine.  

The last third got hot and the youth of the stick was too much.  That combined with a humid day, although I used the 1 hour in the fridge trick that I learned here and that certainly helped in the begining. 

This stick was a good reference point to other sticks that I have been smoking young, in terms of what is smoking good young and what needs time.  IMHO this stick has potential to greatly improve with age and if I had a box it would be a year or so before I tried another.  I have some young Churchills in the humi so this calls for a comparison before I vote.

20160531_172914.jpg

A bit longer than my older Churchills but we'll call it a Clemeceau instead. 

Colorado wrapper with good construction  

Enjoyable first third. 

Nice medium strenght, white pepper, some fruit on the retrohale and sweet nutty accents. Sometimes tannic accents. 

Second third 

Similar some mentol at times  nuttiness disappears.

Third third

Increase in strength, some leather appears  

An enjoyable young smoke

image.jpeg

All I got from this stick was fruit sweetness, maybe cherries?  Not much else until the last third then the intensity picked up a fair bit.  Overall it was enjoyable and I'd be happy to have these in my rotation.

image.jpeg

Cheers!

Bill

Just got my vote in. Very well constructed cigar. Quite tasty and mostly smooth with a little rustic splash here and there. Cocoa and cream and a small tinge of fruit. Got has in the last couple inches, but admittedly I kinda plowed through the first half it was so delicious.