H Upmann Sir Winston

3 hours ago, RijkdeGooier said:

Sir Winston is sighted again?

Boxcides MEL DIC 2016

which box would you choose and why?

IMG_4703.JPG

IMG_4704.JPG

From looks alone I would choose the middle Box and not because I like darker wrappers on Winnie's it's the consistency. 

So we've now seen nearly 10 boxes of 2016 Winnie's with all type of wrapper shade and color.  Would like to see bottom rows on those boxes as well.  Also @RijkdeGooier could you shed some light on what they smell like?  The box I have smells unlike any of my other boxes.  Thanks for sharing!

Back in the old days Upmans with light colored wrappers could be very potent cigars. I remember some #2s from '01 that with light wrappers like the box on the left that would make all but the most seasoned cigar lover nicotine sick. If the ones pictured are like the ones I had they will need some serious down time. They should get good, but you may well be risking your life if smoked too early. Think fresh RACF.

1 hour ago, RijkdeGooier said:

@zeedubbya all boxes smelled great. Typical subdued Hupmann when young barnyard and grassy. 

Yes that's exactly what Winnie's usually smell like to me!  The most recent box I received didn't have that musk, grassy barnyard smell.  They smell more like ELs.  A damp earthy, rich tobacco and chocolate smell.  I think Rob said once like opening a Cadbury Egg In a Horse Field.  Like the Bushidos.  Was very surprised by it.  Maybe it's the difference in factories or something?  Who knows.  Overthink overthink....

In all reality it is nice to even be discussing them again, that's for sure.  I hope we keep seeing them for a little while at least.  

36 minutes ago, Dmpotocek said:

Just confirmed on a box of SW. Now the waiting begins. 7c9503b6319c654d0d7d24e1fbbb83c9.jpg0c84a3e2a43545a5f307d2f4a550274b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those look pretty darn good. Hadn't seen 2015s. 

Please don't tell me the current price is $600 a box for recent production?  The $24 a stick is for singles right?

Cheapest I see is around $500 these days - and no stock.

Guest Nekhyludov

Just for the sake of comparison, here's a ROM ENE 16 box I bought blind last year. Very consistent wrappers; I got lucky. 

20170328_193028.thumb.jpg.2e54a29262512707417f1404c1a139bc.jpg

20170328_193056.thumb.jpg.da6ce9d0217eddd3ca202518fd6b7d9d.jpg

2 hours ago, Nekhyludov said:

Just for the sake of comparison, here's a ROM ENE 16 box I bought blind last year. Very consistent wrappers; I got lucky. 

20170328_193028.thumb.jpg.2e54a29262512707417f1404c1a139bc.jpg

20170328_193056.thumb.jpg.da6ce9d0217eddd3ca202518fd6b7d9d.jpg

Those look fantastic.

Just picked up a box in Havana (MEL DIC 15). They have the most oily wrapper I have seen on a cigar, a thing of beauty.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, RijkdeGooier said:

Sir Winston is sighted again?

Boxcides MEL DIC 2016

which box would you choose and why?

IMG_4703.JPG

IMG_4704.JPG

At first, I thought the box on the upper right, because I like the grain of the wood. Then, in the next picture, I know I'm supposed to pick the middle box, but I'd still go with upper right because, well, I haven't seen a box of SW in a while and maybe I'm feeling like Goldilocks.

The box lower left, in all cases, looks the least appetizing. Construction good across all boxes?

@earthson of course I didn't inspect every single one of the 75 cigars but the ones I did felt great. 

Still the proof of the pudding is in the eating?

As an aside this makes me more at ease to crack open my 09 box after I'll finish with the 03's. 

8 hours ago, Nekhyludov said:

I hope you bought a lottery ticket or placed a sports bet the day you ordered these… they're gorgeous…

• Like 1

It was DIC 16. 

Thanks. They were already in the freezer and I was going by memory. Good thing I have an almost full box of ARG ABR 14's that I am slowly enjoying

• Like 1