What was your first full time job?

Reminiscing last week with some mates over a wine and a cigar. Brings out the best of laughs lol3.gif

What was your first full time job? .....and what are you doing today biggrin.png

While at University I had three months a year to fill in during the holidays. It was my time to earn enough beer and rent money for the rest of the year. I joined the Army Reserve Queensland University Regiment (Infantry) but was kicked out in the second year for going off radar in a weeks "live off the land" exercise at Tin Can Bay. i was section leader and I can tell you we (8 of us) lived well that week. Apparently, living off the land did not include a week held up at a hotel/bar just outside of the exercise zone. No sense of humour the military.

So I thought it best for a serious job. i scanned the newspapers (as you did back then) and came up with a job on the beautiful Tangalooma island resort. I lived on the island and for a young bloke it was a ton of fun.

My role was selling timeshare....all the buzz back in the early 80's. A weeks timeshare on Tangalooma would cost you $5000 back then. Commissions were $600. I was selling 3-4 a week which was insanely good money (and still is!).

The light plane would fly in at 10am with the prospects and by the time they flew out at 4pm they were in love with the place. It wasn't really hard work to convince them and by 5pm I would be fishing, in the pool or at the bar.

Ahhh....nothing lasts. One morning I awoke to see our resort on the front page of the Courier Mail. Apparently management thought it a good idea to sell each unit about 75 times rolleyes.gif

...and off to banking I went. Different scam. Less pay biggrin.png

Today? Who would have thought.

• Like 2

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Reminiscing last week with some mates over a wine and a cigar. Brings out the best of laughs What was your first full time job? .....and what are you doing today While at University I had three mo

First jobs out of college were semi-pro hockey player and pastry baker at a local cafe.  Then I was a chef at a Zen Buddhist monastery in Colorado for two years.  Left last year.  Now I'm in search of

when i first saw the headline, my first thought was why - were you thinking of getting one? scary thing is i was also in the army reserve but two years? no way. i was gone by day three. the fact that

At age 13 I went to work in a burger joint (1966) I could walk to from Elementary School (6th grade)...

I made $1.35 / hr, and have worked ever since.

From cleaning out the mincer at a butcher shop and being their dish pig every Saturday to currently working at a University here in Brisbane. Pretty happy my foots is in this door considering I only just finished secondary school.

My first job was working at a pool parts company assembling pool pumps and emptying and packing sea containers. At uni i used to work in the school labs on a part time basis.

First full time job was in mining straight out of uni. Same same since then.

Pretty boring story :Plmao.gif

First full time job was as an operator of a cable ski facility called Ski 'n' Skurf on the Sunshine Coast. Wakeboard and water ski coaching while pulling all the big levers. Was a dream job! And I have gone from dream job to dream job ever since!

Very lucky.

Now I run the Sales and Marketing activities for our family business.

Sent from my iPhone

Learned autobody repair and mechanics at my Dad's garage after school and through a many summer holidays. He was happy as a pig in poo when I got into a fight with the principal and quit school. He got real mad when I went into construction instead.

Since then all jobs have been hands on types from fiberglassing fishing boat hulls to stretching and doing suspension work on big highway trucks to building big boxstores and shopping malls.

Now I happily work for myself three days a week as a carpenter building everything a customer could ask for from roadside honeystands and pole barns to garden art and furniture.

The other four days a week I hang out with my wife and kids and tend to the farm. I got it mighty good.

when i first saw the headline, my first thought was why - were you thinking of getting one?

scary thing is i was also in the army reserve but two years? no way. i was gone by day three. the fact that there was a west indies v australia test at the gabba had no bearing, of course.

in the not-terribly-pleasant debrief, i was advised, amongst other things, that this would make it near impossible for me to ever return to the army, even in times of war. i think they realised i was a lost cause when i asked for that in writing.

my father was not best pleased.

• Like 1

My first real job was as a.... car salesman. lookaround.gif Then I went into banking as a mortgage/securities officer. lookaround.gif After that, I went to work for Woolworths in special projects. lookaround.gif Now I am self-employed as an "importer". hole.gif As you can see, the level of shonkyness just got worse over time. lol3.gif

First job was a 2nd run movie theater. The kind that waits till the blockbuster movie has been out for 6 months and out of theaters and then buys the movie to show for cheaper. Loved the free soda and popcorn all day long, hated the owner.

First FULL-time job was in a grocery store. Started there PT just grabbing carts and then later cashiering, but worked my way up to front end cashier and front end manager.

Now I'm a corporate trainer for Best Buy and I travel around doing training for thousands of people each year! Couldn't be happier!

My first real job was as a.... car salesman. lookaround.gif Then I went into banking as a mortgage/securities officer. lookaround.gif After that, I went to work for Woolworths in special projects. lookaround.gif Now I am self-employed as an "importer". hole.gif As you can see, the level of shonkyness just got worse over time. lol3.gif

...and Fuzz....we haven't finished yet! Imagine where we will be in 10 years rotfl.gif

First full time job - accountant at age of 24 - heaps of different part time jobs before that tho

Now 28 and working as Chartered Accountant / Financial Planner - ah if only professional cigar smoker was a thing ?

Apprentice Fitter & Machinist. I loved that trade.... Did it for many years..... A shame I had to leave because the work was drying up and manufacturing being sent offshore.

On to greener pastures, with no regrets.

at a private bank, digitising files. sitting next to some managers really made me question how the whole economy works at an early age. they would talk for 4-5 hours about football, then may be place an order, go to lunch, come back, do even less in the afternoon.

First full time job was as an operator of a cable ski facility called Ski 'n' Skurf on the Sunshine Coast. Wakeboard and water ski coaching while pulling all the big levers. Was a dream job! And I have gone from dream job to dream job ever since!

Very lucky.

Now I run the Sales and Marketing activities for our family business.

Sent from my iPhone

what time frame did you work there, had a friend Nathan that used to work there aswell.

my first f/t job was an t/a carpenter joiner, used to pee off the apprentice as I got to do more than him.

now doing furniture sales sneaky.gif

My first job was working at a vitamin wholesaler bottling multi-vitamin pills. I quit after 3 days. I finally got a job carrying film cans around town making deliveries for a small sound effects studio.

Now I'm an Oscar-winning sound re-recording mixer.