Por Larranaga Picadores.....Thoughts.

They have been around now for near a year. I still struggle to get them in the quantities I would like but they make a regular appearance most months.

I wasn't too fussed with the first batches 3rd quarter last year. Closed in flavour....but you knew all the elements were there. I assessed them as being a 5 year aging cigar with a ton of upside.

Recent batches however have had me reassess. Quality has been outstanding and there is a real PL sweetness to them + a touch of mongrel that you know I enjoy. Still some excellent legs for themid to long term down, but I am enjoying them as they are.

I would love to hear your thoughts? Enjoying one now.

post-4-0-22071200-1432768487_thumb.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

picked up a 5er from someone to try them out and they didn't last a week. I think they taste great young. Personally I think they have enough going for them young and I won't be waiting 5 years for mi

I think the upside is that it is a PL. If you like the brand, its worth sitting on them for a while. I dont really go by the point scale, but rather the character of the cigar. When I want a PL, no

At $50+ compared to other similar sized cigars...I wont be smoking any. Possibly ever. No reason to.

Have been so delighted with the recent box of PSP PLPC and how well they're smoking now, I've actually just been eyeing up the Picadores, and resisting the urge to splurge. I'd love to hear what others think.

I've only had one single so it could have ben a lucky one but it was fantastic. Smooth, creamy caramel, plenty of sweetness and some chocolate notes. Was very suprised people were saying they weren't smoking well young as I found completely the opposite to be true of this example. Best robusto/hermoso I've had this year so far.

picked up a 5er from someone to try them out and they didn't last a week. I think they taste great young. Personally I think they have enough going for them young and I won't be waiting 5 years for mine.

• Like 4

Love these,love these a lot.

Excellent construction,aromas are great,flavors are nice and show promise for improvement.

Last box I got was an HQ from a good friend,looking for more............

"At $50+ compared to other similar sized cigars...I wont be smoking any. Possibly ever. No reason to"

don't blame you,that's too much for a cigar........would you try them for $10.00 each?

Well I'll let you know when my boxes is delivered to me. Still waiting on it here. But I'm very excited to try them and see how they are. I expect to have to lay them down for like 3 to 5 years if it's as true to the PL Marca as the other PL smokes have been.

I'm a big PL fan. I'm going deep on these. I'm already seeing an improvement in my first box with lots of butterscotch. I think these will only get better with some rest.

Shlomo, a box of 25 from our host comes out to $8.80 U.S. Per stick, well worth the money in my opinion.

Love these,love these a lot.

Excellent construction,aromas are great,flavors are nice and show promise for improvement.

Last box I got was an HQ from a good friend,looking for more............

"At $50+ compared to other similar sized cigars...I wont be smoking any. Possibly ever. No reason to"

don't blame you,that's too much for a cigar........would you try them for $10.00 each?

Its the price-size-rarity ratio that is out of whack on these imo. These PLs are the most expensive Hermoso 4/ Robusto available outside of Cohiba. Interesting to note that they discontinued Trinidad Robs with much of the thinking behind that problem was the lack of justification for the higher premium price just below Cohiba. And within what? Weeks? Months? Release a PL version with the exact same problem imo. But of course its new, so people gobble them up. Why will these succeed when Trinidad was such a miserable failure? 10 years down the line and production gets sloppy as it always does....these are axed. And then sales go through the roof again...LOL....funny cycle.

I think they are decent. Still need some time to develop. A tad expensive when compared to plpc. But they may develop into something even better than the 2007 pl robusto asia. I hope they continue to expand the line and add a robusto extra or magnum.

Sent by telepathic super powers

-Stogie Boy

I'm a big PL fan. I'm going deep on these. I'm already seeing an improvement in my first box with lots of butterscotch. I think these will only get better with some rest.

Shlomo, a box of 25 from our host comes out to $8.80 U.S. Per stick, well worth the money in my opinion.

Even when Epi 2, JL2, JL1, BRC, RASS, Famoso, RyJ SC, Conn. 1, Regios, SLR A, Mag 46, PSD4, Monte PE, etc....are all available for about $1.50-$2.00 less?

The Picadores are priced in the same range as:

PSP2, Upmann 2, Mag 50, Monte 2, Dip 2, 898,

And I don't understand why other than they are new. Those other cigars weigh far more than the Pic and are substantially larger.

For the record I'm a big PL fan. Price to weight ratio is clearly out of whack. Viewed a Rob/Ken review from Dec. '14, if I recall correctly, which was far less than encouraging. That review and the price put me off. Maybe, with a little more age, they will support their price. We'll see.

Even when Epi 2, JL2, JL1, BRC, RASS, Famoso, RyJ SC, Conn. 1, Regios, SLR A, Mag 46, PSD4, Monte PE, etc....are all available for about $1.50-$2.00 less?

And I don't understand why other than they are new. Those other cigars weigh far more than the Pic and are substantially larger.

Flavor, perhaps? I'm just not that analytical about my cigar enjoyment. I don't pay attention to weight or even size other than time constraints. I pay attention to the flavors that I enjoy and seek these out. When I find something I like I buy more of them if I can afford them. For me these are worth the price of admission. Unless you have tried one you may miss something you enjoy. Perhaps it would be worth the extra $2.00 a stick for you.

Flavor, perhaps? I'm just not that analytical about my cigar enjoyment. I don't pay attention to weight or even size other than time constraints. I pay attention to the flavors that I enjoy and seek these out. When I find something I like I buy more of them if I can afford them. For me these are worth the price of admission. Unless you have tried one you may miss something you enjoy. Perhaps it would be worth the extra $2.00 a stick for you.

Absolutely...although I am pretty sure HSA does not price the cigars based on how they taste...lol

Its the price-size-rarity ratio that is out of whack on these imo. These PLs are the most expensive Hermoso 4/ Robusto available outside of Cohiba. Interesting to note that they discontinued Trinidad Robs with much of the thinking behind that problem was the lack of justification for the higher premium price just below Cohiba. And within what? Weeks? Months? Release a PL version with the exact same problem imo. But of course its new, so people gobble them up. Why will these succeed when Trinidad was such a miserable failure? 10 years down the line and production gets sloppy as it always does....these are axed. And then sales go through the roof again...LOL....funny cycle.

Comparing this release to the Trinidad T is a little extreme. Sure they're pricier than most, but these are $50 more per box than a 12 CT box of Robo Ts, which I personally loved & still do. I just grabbed a box of these hoping for that PL caramel sweetness & have yet to form my own opinion. The price difference is higher, sure, but not as obscene as you are making it out to be. EL & RE prices however...there's your outrage. I'd gladly pay $9 / stick for these if they give me PL flavors in a robusto format. JMO.

Comparing this release to the Trinidad T is a little extreme. Sure they're pricier than most, but these are $50 more per box than a 12 CT box of Robo Ts, which I personally loved & still do. I just grabbed a box of these hoping for that PL caramel sweetness & have yet to form my own opinion. The price difference is higher, sure, but not as obscene as you are making it out to be. EL & RE prices however...there's your outrage. I'd gladly pay $9 / stick for these if they give me PL flavors in a robusto format. JMO.

Why? Robo T were in the 225-250 range for 24 when they came out.

No outrage here. Just stating my opinion that these are priced too high for their size.

No outrage here. Just stating my opinion that these are priced too high for their size.

As I have pointed out before.....many times before.....HSA has upped the ante/ROI on all new releases for some time. E2/D5/D6/PLPic/Pet 2, Connie A etc.

Their strategy.

Some succeed big time (Connie A), Some look like succeeding (PL Pic) and some fail or look like they may (D5/ Peit 2/E2) and some the jury is out on (Monte Double Edmundo etc).

The market in the end determines what will succeed.

The pricing of the PL Picadore is out of whack to the existing line up of Hermoso/Robusto. I suspect the next general line Robusto to be released (say a Dip Robusto as an example) will be at the Picadore mark...and the next....and the next.

There is no other current Robusto with the PL Picadores profile (or close). For those that are enjoying that profile and see value...enjoy.

• Like 1

I either had the wrong sources or was later to the robusto T than my memory serves. I had OR boxes and recall paying $168 for 12 and $300+ for 24. You see it as $50 more per box than other regular prodution. I see it as almost $100 less than the cigar you brought up. I get you have your opinion and can respect that...just offering the flip side of the coin so to speak. Soon enough these PL picas may not be as out of line in price as other cigars of the same size.

My lens on it too...

As I have pointed out before.....many times before.....HSA has upped the ante/ROI on all new releases for some time. E2/D5/D6/PLPic/Pet 2, Connie A etc.

Their strategy.

Some succeed big time (Connie A), Some look like succeeding (PL Pic) and some fail or look like they may (D5/ Peit 2/E2) and some the jury is out on (Monte Double Edmundo etc).

The market in the end determines what will succeed.

The pricing of the PL Picadore is out of whack to the existing line up of Hermoso/Robusto. I suspect the next general line Robusto to be released (say a Dip Robusto as an example) will be at the Picadore mark...and the next....and the next.

There is no other current Robusto with the PL Picadores profile (or close). For those that are enjoying that profile and see value...enjoy.

HSA wont be raising prices on new releases if people dont make their profits explode by buying them up and begging for more. Rolling a PIcadores costs no more than any other similarly sized cigar, but if they can charge $50 more, then why bother with the lower profict margin cigars? Either there will be a major price adjustment in the next 5 years, or many regular favorites will be cut in favour of new wildly priced nonsense.

Either way, bad for the final consumer.

• Like 2