2015 Cricket World Cup - Post your predictions here

Would love to see one of these explaining test cricket and another explaining the LBW rule to really freak out those unfamiliar with the game.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For those unfamiliar with why Pakistan are a threat....traditionally in World Cups they have been known to lose to minnows and then knock off big-name teams in the same tournament. (But it's never bee

My prediction is that I'll have blown my lid at the Ch 9 commentary team by the first 10 overs in game 1. I'll then put the tv on mute and listen (hopefully if they're broadcasting) on ABC radio. Can

the problem is that every time slater comes on, the entire thing descends into farce. on the very rare times he actually talks cricket, he is not too bad, but sadly, he thinks he is robin williams and

LBW (Leg Before Wicket - i.e. using your leg, or indeed any part of your body to prevent the ball striking the stumps, intentionally or not) is certainly an incredibly complex rule.

Australia vs England and New Zealand vs Sri Lanka today. It's a shame about the World Cup format including so many games with inferior teams....so basically we have a month until the knockout games begin and the fun starts!

For those of you familiar with Jim Maxwell's Cricket commentary on ABC radio in Australia, he is definitely not like the Channel Nine commentatators described in the Guardian article above. He fancies Australia's chances...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-02-13/powerful-australia-still-the-team-to-beat-says-maxwell/6090262

For those of you familiar with Jim Maxwell's Cricket commentary on ABC radio in Australia, he is definitely not like the Channel Nine commentatators described in the Guardian article above. He fancies Australia's chances...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-02-13/powerful-australia-still-the-team-to-beat-says-maxwell/6090262

the problem is that every time slater comes on, the entire thing descends into farce. on the very rare times he actually talks cricket, he is not too bad, but sadly, he thinks he is robin williams and drones on and on with utter rubbish and drags the others with him. watch when he is not on. not so bad. slater is truly dire. he is always trying to be funny, boring everyone with in-jokes and taking the piss out of his commentators and what happened in his day. not as bad as mark ella writing about rugby but not far from it. i often hit mute.

mate was telling me he MC'd an industry event a little while back. they will never ever ever ever have him anywhere near them again. very very pissed at his performance. the nicest way to describe it would be unprofessional in every respect. not there so can't say if true or if it was that bad but this bloke fairly tolerant.

as for winning this thing, if we keep playing with a 10 man team, we are screwed. watto is incredibly consistently useless when needed. if we were 1 - 250 against bangladesh, he'd come out and blaze away. when it is needed, forget it. he must go.

• Like 1

As for winning this thing, if we keep playing with a 10 man team, we are screwed. watto is incredibly consistently useless when needed. if we were 1 - 250 against bangladesh, he'd come out and blaze away. when it is needed, forget it. he must go.

I am over the whole 'Shane Watson parade or party thing'...whatever you call it. Incidentally, out for a Golden Duck today (In other words, out first ball). Yes, I had to put it in bold. Too inconsistent when required, that is correct. Watto has to be the most fortunate Australian cricketer alive, especially when compared to the likes of Stuart Law, Brad Hodge, Matthew Elliott, Simon Katich, Michael Di Venuto, Martin Love and countless other batsmen who have a better first-class record than him but were not lucky enough to play 50 tests like Watto.

By the way, I must add Shaun Marsh as another highly favoured batsman who continues to get opportunities that belies all reason.

• Like 1

I am over the whole 'Shane Watson parade or party thing'...whatever you call it. Incidentally, out for a Golden Duck today (In other words, out first ball). Yes, I had to put it in bold. Too inconsistent when required, that is correct. Watto has to be the most fortunate Australian cricketer alive, especially when compared to the likes of Stuart Law, Brad Hodge, Matthew Elliott, Simon Katich, Michael Di Venuto, Martin Love and countless other batsmen who have a better first-class record than him but were not lucky enough to play 50 tests like Watto.

By the way, I must add Shaun Marsh as another highly favoured batsman who continues to get opportunities that belies all reason.

I hope to Christ we don't give up Bailey for Watson...well even Bailey for Clark

Some D grade fielding by England ...must of been playing Benny Hill music before they went out....was very funny watching it..nyah.gif I loved that shot put return for a run out ..even the keeper showed him how to return it...

I hope to Christ we don't give up Bailey for Watson...well even Bailey for Clark

clark definitely should be there, if fit. if nothing else, the best captain in world cricket. i'd give up watto for a blind 8 year old. if faulkner back, watto might need some runs real quick. still, he'll probably get them v bangladesh and be in for the next three world cup comps.

• Like 1

clark definitely should be there, if fit. if nothing else, the best captain in world cricket. i'd give up watto for a blind 8 year old. if faulkner back, watto might need some runs real quick. still, he'll probably get them v bangladesh and be in for the next three world cup comps.

Yes ,,,agreed, with Clark and his Captaincy, that said he declared himself fit in the test series. His back and hamstring(s) continue to fail ...I can't help but think his return is to soon after surgery...it is the world cup, therefor a different level and if he plays I am sure he will show us what he is made of...if he plays and is injured may the cigar gods help him...

in all honesty, as much fun as it is to thump the poms, this is all a bit of a farce. group A will have four going through. barring something beyond absurd, there is no doubt that it will be aust, england, nz and sri l. the minnows, afghanistan, scotland and bangladesh, will dip out. so we have about 40 pointless games. all it does is see a jockeying for position. big whoop. the other group might be marginally tighter but not much. another 40 games sorting nothing but the position. whoever decided this format needs to be sacked asap.

that said, great to see other nations than the usual suspects involved.

problem is, extra "finals" games mean more money.

I feel the same here about the Poms Ken. By the way, just came home after a big weekend for a friend's 50th (Mike, no...not Rob) and switched on Channel Nine free-to-air tv to watch some cricket. Stupid me, I should have realised that the TV rights would be sold to Foxtel.

India won thanks to that Kohli century and Zimbabwe did well to get within 70 runs of South Africa.

Matthew Hayden opens up about preparations for the 2007 World Cup won by Australia with that memorable Adam Gilchrist 149 off 104 balls in the final against Sri Lanka...

http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricket/matthew-hayden-tells-his-favourite-stories-from-the-2007-world-cup/story-fnqpo3wn-1227220846450

Do note the references to drinking rum and smoking through a box of Montecristo No.4 (picked up duty-free). El Pres, another potential Queensland customer mate?

Ok so Ireland beat West Indies today in an upset but in my humble opinion the brawl that occurred last night at Merrylands RSL club between 40 Indian and Pakistani cricket fans is ample proof for allowing smoking in clubs again in Australia. Has anyone heard of a brawl breaking out during a cigar herf?

• Like 1

So Ireland beat the West Indies. Who'd a thunk it.

UAE shouldn't be much of an issue. Sith Ifrica will be interesting.

I heard some of the guys on the radio this morning. They're not happy that the win is being described as "an upset". They're also saying that Ireland beating South Africa shouldn't be described as an upset either.Good on them.

• Like 1

So we have had some games that no-one has followed this week but today's game should raise a little interest....New Zealand vs England at Wellington (0100 GMT or 12pm Australian Eastern Daylight Savings TIme). Incidentally, the last time England beat New Zealand at the World Cup? 1983!

http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc-cricket-world-cup-2015/content/story/834707.html