2015 Cricket World Cup - Post your predictions here

Australia and India had convincing wins over Scotland and Zimbabwe respectively today. Australia's win mean that it will not play South Africa in the quarter-final stage. The final round matches tomorrow between Pakistan and Ireland and UAE and the West Indies will determine the quarter-final participants.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For those unfamiliar with why Pakistan are a threat....traditionally in World Cups they have been known to lose to minnows and then knock off big-name teams in the same tournament. (But it's never bee

My prediction is that I'll have blown my lid at the Ch 9 commentary team by the first 10 overs in game 1. I'll then put the tv on mute and listen (hopefully if they're broadcasting) on ABC radio. Can

the problem is that every time slater comes on, the entire thing descends into farce. on the very rare times he actually talks cricket, he is not too bad, but sadly, he thinks he is robin williams and

I love that analogy Ken. Watto reminds of another ordinary player for Australia from the eighties, namely Graeme Wood. He played 59 tests for an average of 31.83 per innings...similar to Watto. Wood always saved his best performances for quality opposition or when his head was on the chopping block. In his second last test in Perth in 1988, he stuck up his middle finger to the Channel Nine Television commentary box upon hitting a 100. He scored top-scored in the second innings with 42 as Australia lost in Perth. In the 3rd test in Melbourne, he failed with two single-digit scores and was dropped permanently, never to be heard of again.

Wood came around again as CEO of Western Australia Cricket from 2006 to 2011, where upon he resigned to take up a role in the Wine industry.

Even if Watto was to disappear from playing cricket, like Graeme Wood, I would imagine he will put himself in the spotlight again, he's that type of personality.

The Quarter Finalists are now determined and the remaining game schedules are below:

Quarter-finals:

Wed 18 March – QF3 - Sri Lanka (A3) v South Africa (B2), Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG)

Thu 19 March – QF4 - Bangladesh (A4) v India (B1), Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG)

Fri 20 March – QF2 - Australia (A2) v Pakistan (B3), Adelaide Oval

Sat 21 March – QF1 - New Zealand (A1) v West Indies (B4), Wellington Regional Stadium

Semi-finals:

Tue 24 March – SF1 - Winner QF1 (NZ v WI) v Winner QF3 (SL v SA), Eden Park, Auckland

Thu 26 March – SF2 - Winner QF2 (Aus v Pak) v Winner QF4 (BD v Ind), SCG, Sydney

Final:

Sun 29 March – Melbourne Cricket Ground

I love that analogy Ken. Watto reminds of another ordinary player for Australia from the eighties, namely Graeme Wood. He played 59 tests for an average of 31.83 per innings...similar to Watto. Wood always saved his best performances for quality opposition or when his head was on the chopping block. In his second last test in Perth in 1988, he stuck up his middle finger to the Channel Nine Television commentary box upon hitting a 100. He scored top-scored in the second innings with 42 as Australia lost in Perth. In the 3rd test in Melbourne, he failed with two single-digit scores and was dropped permanently, never to be heard of again.

Wood came around again as CEO of Western Australia Cricket from 2006 to 2011, where upon he resigned to take up a role in the Wine industry.

Even if Watto was to disappear from playing cricket, like Graeme Wood, I would imagine he will put himself in the spotlight again, he's that type of personality.

funny you mention graeme wood - i am hoping to meet him next week. he is, i believe, state manager of treasury wines and i'm off to devil's lair, one of their wineries, on sunday. no idea if he'll actually be there.

main thing i remember about wood was atrocious running between the wickets. lot of batsmen got run out when batting with him.

a few differences with watto, though. wood, if i recall, came in late 70s? and far too soon but forced in by the world series defections. he was only about 20, i think. overall, he did reasonably well but did have issues.

you say "Wood always saved his best performances for quality opposition ", not something that could be said about watto. he gets his when it doesn't count. also, wood scored a reasonable number of tons, i think. 9 or 10? not a bad return, and a good conversion rate, i think. again, watto has about 3-4 tons and the worst conversion rate imaginable. also, wood seemed to do very well against the windies, back when they were a top side. but overall, he did fall short of top notch.

Yes, Graeme did have more quality innings than Watto, and his average was probably higher comparatively for his era than Watto in the modern era. If you see him Ken, wish him well. It would be interesting to find out what was peeving him around the time of his last test matches in 1988.

Maybe John Dyson's test average of 27 and hundred conversion rate compares to Watto better?

We've reached the knockout stage of the tournament today. South Africa take on Sri Lanka in Sydney. Interestingly, in over 20 years South Africa have never won an elimination game in the World Cup and have been branded 'chokers' for doing this. Can they shake off this tag today?

http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricket/south-africas-shocking-history-of-world-cup-choking/story-fnqpo3wn-1227267276710

We've reached the knockout stage of the tournament today. South Africa take on Sri Lanka in Sydney. Interestingly, in over 20 years South Africa have never won an elimination game in the World Cup and have been branded 'chokers' for doing this. Can they shake off this tag today?

http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricket/south-africas-shocking-history-of-world-cup-choking/story-fnqpo3wn-1227267276710

I'm going for Pakistan ..

I'm going for Pakistan ..

Pakistan FTW!!!!!!

We will likely get slaughtered by Australia :-(

Regards.

A Pakistani

Rohit Sharma hit 137 to set up up India's quarter-final win over Bangladesh by 109 runs in Melbourne today. India remain undefeated in this World Cup, 7 from 7. They face the winner of Friday's quarter-final, Australia vs. Pakistan in the semi-final.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc-cricket-world-cup-2015/content/story/852251.html

Pak vs Aus

Time for a RyJ Churchill tonight for sure. Maybe a party short for the end of the game.

Good luck

Regards.

A Pakistani

No, you were correct to rate Pakistan highly. They had two things going against them in this match, one, was the fact that they have had shocking luck with injuries to bowlers, only one bowler in their team (Wahab Riaz, the fast left-armer) would be in if they others weren't injured and secondly, their poor fielding.

Last night was a very close game, the scorecard does not reflect this. Shane Watson (Oh, where are you Ken as surely you'll understand my grief!) when required to do the part, was only let off due to a shocking dropped catch at fine-leg in the deep when he was on 4. The score would have been 4/83 and Australia would have been deep in trouble at that point. Even Glenn Maxwell (what an incredible and idiosyncratic cricketer!) got a reprieve from a dropped catch before he reached 10, but by then the game had got out of reach for Pakistan.

When Shane Watson was dropped on 4 (think of a professional major league baseball center fielder dropping a regulation fly ball and you'll understand why I still don't rate Watto), Wahab Riaz was all over him 'like a rash', Watto was absolutely clueless against his bowling up to this point. Michael Slater, the former Australian cricketer and now commentator, mentioned that Watto needed one good shot to kick start his innings when Sohail Khan came onto bowl and he provided Watto with a 'dolly' short ball which Watto pulled in front of square-leg for four (in other words, it was an easy shot). There was no looking back after this point, in my opinion.

Thanks again for the explanation John. Sounds like one or two key moments could have changed this one completely.

One question re: Watson. Would it make any sense to move him down in the batting order? So that he's not giving away wickets and creating trouble early innings?

Chris

• Like 1

One question re: Watson. Would it make any sense to move him down in the batting order? So that he's not giving away wickets and creating trouble early innings?

Chris

This is exactly what the selectors have done, Chris. Watson has moved down the order to No.6, while Steve Smith has moved to No.3. This has proved a master-stroke as Smith has had an outstanding summer of rich form, both while he replaced Michael Clarke as captain due to injury in the Tests and One-Day games this season.

In this game against Pakistan, Watson went in at No.5 because Glenn Maxwell is seen as an impact player (think pinch-hitter in the middle and late innings of a close game in baseball) and the situation of the game would not have suited Maxwell at all. Australia were fortunate to come through in this game...there will be no repeat against India in the semi-final.

Pakistan are a 'hot and cold' team, remember they beat South Africa in the initial phase of this tournament and I think you'll find that South Africa will be in the final of this World Cup, based on their form and ability, well, that's my opinion anyway.

John.

watto to 11 would be better.

and surely steve smith at number 3 for the tests.

Definitely Ken...once the World Cup is done and dusted, everyone's attention will turn to the upcoming Ashes series in England and Smith must bat at No.3 for these games.

Martin Guptill, after he was dropped on 4 by Marlon Samuels, went on to score 237 not out as New Zealand amassed 6/393 in Wellington today. Despite Chris Gayle's injury he mustered 61, but the chase proved too big for the West Indies who were bowled out for 250 after only 30 overs. New Zealand win by 143 runs and set up an interesting clash with South Africa in the semi-final. Australia will play India in the other semi-final, which will no doubt have 2 billion people watching!

http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc-cricket-world-cup-2015/content/story/853343.html

Great fast spell from Riaz could had watto out three balls in row but each time dropped short and this was before that dropped dolly.

at least watson survived unlike Clark who was out to the first short ball he received.

Too true, Geoff! Watto had to come through at some point, this day was his day!

Incidentally, the semi-final between New Zealand and South Africa in Auckland on Tuesday represents the first time one of these teams will actually win a semi-final in the World Cup. New Zealand have lost six semi-finals since 1975, while South Africa have lost three since 1992. Some other interesting statistics are available in the link below:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc-cricket-world-cup-2015/content/story/854115.html