2015 Cricket World Cup - Post your predictions here

And the drought continues! What an absolutely miserable game for England! On the other hand...Brendan McCullum scores 77 of 25 balls! What absolute carnage. NZ won by 8 wickets with 38 overs to spare!

had relocated due to the floods and the new location had it on. i saw england were 3-100 or so and i thought that was not promising. when they lost another couple, i sat down and watched it.

what a truly awful debacle. southee bowled superbly but seriously, blind freddie rolling a hoop down the pitch would have picked up a 5-for. extraordinary just how bad england currently is. if they don't get a move on, they'll miss the 1/4s.

then the batting. wow! mccullum 76 from 24 or thereabouts. carnage.

and steve finn - economy rate an all time record of 24.5/over. mccullum - what an innings. 4 sixes in a row at one stage. mind you, in typical kiwi (whinging) fashion, he finally gets bowled and refuses to leave and wants a wide (or no ball) called for it being too high. christ, it hit 3/4s of the way up the stumps. not anyone's fault you are only 5 foot 2. just go. but what an innings.

when i suggested nz would be seriously dangerous a few months ago - coming into form and playing at home - i got ridiculed. they aree a real threat now.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For those unfamiliar with why Pakistan are a threat....traditionally in World Cups they have been known to lose to minnows and then knock off big-name teams in the same tournament. (But it's never bee

My prediction is that I'll have blown my lid at the Ch 9 commentary team by the first 10 overs in game 1. I'll then put the tv on mute and listen (hopefully if they're broadcasting) on ABC radio. Can

the problem is that every time slater comes on, the entire thing descends into farce. on the very rare times he actually talks cricket, he is not too bad, but sadly, he thinks he is robin williams and

It's commendable that James Taylor (no, not the guy who sung 'Fire and Rain') knew the dead ball rules when stuck on 98 the other game against Australia, but really this is schoolboy stuff for international cricketers. The height of a no-ball is above the waist with the batsman at the crease, when you run 3 metres down the track you need to keep that in mind, obviously McCullum didn't.

'Form is temporary and class is permament' they may say, however, form is everything in a tournament like this. Of course you were 100% right Ken about New Zealand's chances, plus they are very good when playing at home.

the game next saturday - aust v nz in orcland - will be a cracker, i suspect. nz with great form, aust good form but likely not to have played for a few weeks. intangible of clark's return. nz at home. suspect it ill be decided on little things - if aust can knock over mccullum early or nz do the same to finch/warner.

Next weekend's game will indeed be an actual contest between Aus and NZ. Meanwhile, Bangladesh scored a point and were saved a mauling due to rain and Pakistan were woeful against West Indies. Expect Pakistan to be world beaters against quality opposition at some point this World Cup.

India have been thoroughly outplayed in the recent One-day series against Australia prior to the World Cup yet tonight they handed out a 130-run thrashing to South Africa. The game was effectively over when AB de Villiers was out for 30. Who would have thought Dhawan would score 137, he has been mute during the recent test and one-day games against Australia.

India have racked up two good wins against quality opposition (Pakistan and South Africa). It will be interesting to see how they go from this point on.

India have been thoroughly outplayed in the recent One-day series against Australia prior to the World Cup yet tonight they handed out a 130-run thrashing to South Africa. The game was effectively over when AB de Villiers was out for 30. Who would have thought Dhawan would score 137, he has been mute during the recent test and one-day games against Australia.

India have racked up two good wins against quality opposition (Pakistan and South Africa). It will be interesting to see how they go from this point on.

SA's 5th bowler Parnell bowled absolute garbage and the fields that were set for him were ridiculous on the big MCG. What's wrong with a deep mid on and mid off and bowl Yorkers. Steyn showed the way late in the Indian innings and managed to restrict them but overall rubbish captaincy from SA. India may have benefited greatly by being in Australia for so long and they had a massive crowd support. Ashwin has bowled very well for India in both matches.

He's only scored 274 runs at an average of 14.42 since his last One-day century in 2013, but he made the opposition pay today. Congratulations to Chris Gayle for the highest individual score in a World Cup game, hitting 215 off 147 balls as the West Indies amassed 2/372 against Zimbabwe.

South Africa have had an ordinary World Cup so far, but that man AB de Villiers did it again today, hitting 100 of 52 balls and then his next 62 runs off his last 14 balls (162 not out off 66 balls in total). His boundaries at the end had to be seen to be believed!

http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc-cricket-world-cup-2015/engine/match/656435.html

When the ball swings, it can be a totally different game. This is what happened today. There was no reason in my mind for New Zealand to attack that small total like they did. I feel that they will come unstuck at some point in this World Cup if they can't adapt their tactics.

When the ball swings, it can be a totally different game. This is what happened today. There was no reason in my mind for New Zealand to attack that small total like they did. I feel that they will come unstuck at some point in this World Cup if they can't adapt their tactics.

agree with some thoughts, not others.

first, could not agree more re watson. either that sport-destroying muppet, howard, gave him a contract which prohibits him being dropped or he has explicit photos of selectors and goats. no other possibility. god, he is awful. he has NEVER scored runs in a test when they counted. always only when we are in a strong position or they are not needed. that he is still selected is the great mystery of this century and not just re cricket.

he plays a shocking shot and then comes the collapse. he is not necessarily responsible for the poor shots of others but if he does his job, it never happens. HE MUST GO FOREVER.

agree swing changes things but seriously, if the aussies are not good enough to handle it, something wrong. it was hardly wasim and waqar.

don't agree nz were wrong in their approach. exactly the opposite for me and i think that was, in the end, why they got home. that is how they play. they start changing that at this stage and who knows who follows. better to play to your strengths. yes, there will be games where it does not come off but for all the fuss, they are hardly on par with the 48 aussies. and had mccullum not blasted off as he did, they would have fallen short.

for me, the big things were yet another watson failure, the fact johnson failed (tho had he broken that arm, might have changed the course - gather mccullum out golfing yesterday so hardly too bad), the appalling collapse but especially the weird comments by clarke post game. i think clarke is the best captain in world cricket by a long way (mccullum also impressing) but there are clearly problems or a battle within. to say that they were not prepared for swing and had not thought of a plan to counter early wicket losses cannot be true. if it is, then every single player, coach and official should go. seems more a dig at the officials, especially lehmann.

• Like 1

Well...good news today. James Faulkner is coming back next game to possibly replace Shane Watson. I still feel New Zealand will lose at some point when it's critical, they look great chasing low totals, let's see when they chase post 250 or 300 scores in Australia, not at home. I reckon South Africa will play better when it matters, as will Australia.

Well...good news today. James Faulkner is coming back next game to possibly replace Shane Watson. I still feel New Zealand will lose at some point when it's critical, they look great chasing low totals, let's see when they chase post 250 or 300 scores in Australia, not at home. I reckon South Africa will play better when it matters, as will Australia.

no argument that it is likely to come unstuck for nz at some stage but i still think that they should play the way that suits them. south africa a class outfit.

sadly, i'll bet london to a brick that watson stays and someone else, probably marsh, goes for faulkner.

Might be more of a contest sad.png

Don't worry Ken someone will get injured and Watson be back clap.gif

well the bloke at long oddds to get injured - ingrown toenail, bad hair day, broccy between the teeth - would be watson himself but i have no doubt that he'll play a few good shots and be reinstated.

well the bloke at long oddds to get injured - ingrown toenail, bad hair day, broccy between the teeth - would be watson himself but i have no doubt that he'll play a few good shots and be reinstated.

I reckon that's it for Watson in the World Cup. Hopefully anyway. They'll take him to the WI and then England but we can only hope he spends time refining his drinks waitering skills. Although you'd have to think he's still in the selectors Test 11 if he tours. I don't know of another player in Australian cricket history that polarises public opinion so much! And the 'nays' far outnumber the 'yays'!

Some interesting observstions....firstly, it's still important to keep wickets in hand when chasing totals as South Africa found out in failing to chase down Pakistan's total yesterday.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/cricket-world-cup/south-africa-fail-to-fire-as-pakistan-pull-off-unlikely-cricket-world-cup-win-in-auckland-20150307-13y243.html

Geoff Lawson, former Australian cricketer and now commentator, believes Sri Lanka are an even-money bet against Australia at the SCG today.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/sri-lanka-an-evenmoney-world-cup-bet-against-australia-on-slower-scg-deck-20150307-13xpbh.html

Finally, Chris Barrett, the sports writer for Fairfax media, believes Shane Watson is a chance for a recall. (Oh, please God, no!)

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/australia-leave-door-open-to-recall-shane-watson-for-world-cup-clash-against-sri-lanka-20150307-13xxv6.html

I told you Watto be back hahaha

Yes, we witnessed some Watto-vation (a cross between motivation and innovation) today in his batting but his bowling was back to his normal 1 wicket an innings offering. Harder to kill than a cockroach during nuclear fallout. I still think that James Faulkner is way more important than Watto to Australia's chances.