Washington Post on Cuban Cigars

Wow, just wow!

Seems like most folks who claim "Cubans are overrated" have never had one - OR - they had "a Montecristo I got off the beach in Cancun and it was nothing special."thinking.gif

I like the part where JC Newman had obviously been smoking crack that day and said his cigars are "by and large better" than Cubans!loser.gif Did this guy drink the Prometheus Koolaid?

In related news, my wife was overjoyed to hear that I thought that most $3 and $4 CC are better than most $12+ NC. But I guess I'm falling for the mystique!smartass.gif

There is and will be a lot of articles like that, sponsored by NC companies. This is business.

But I didn't think the article is that bad. Of course not hearing the other side (CC) it has no credibility.

And I want more and more articles like that in all the magazines and newspapres: there will be less North Americans going to CC.

• Like 2

NC guys selling their book. They're threatened by the possibility that their franchises may be undermined by the opening of Cuban cigars to the US market. I would expect no other response, it's business after all and everyone will attempt to protect, defend and shamelessly promote what is in their best interest. Cigar smokers will decide this in the long run and when the dust settles I believe that Cuban Puros will dominate the premium hand rolled long filler segment.

Years ago I used to live and die by CA's recommendations. Now I find the magazine totally useless when looking for information on cigars I may want to smoke. As a large format glossy lifestyle rag there are some pretty photos to look at on occasion....

• Like 1

I do not think there are enough consumers in the US to spend $15+ on higher end per cigar, NC, CC or otherwise. This is more than the price of 3 packs of cigarettes no? Yes Padron and Opus X perhaps, but to then split that market into a whole new group of items?

CA Magazine is driven by ad dollars, no mystery there.

Agree with above that cool thing will be to walk around with a Cohiba equivalent of the White Owl, which will require such demand they will have to go machine made.

I am not worried.

canadianbeaver, on 10 Jan 2015 - 11:20 AM, said:

I do not think there are enough consumers in the US to spend $15+ on higher end per cigar, NC, CC or otherwise.

Out of interest, Alex advised me that immediately following the article about the Cuban cigar embargo being lifted / modified, that the daily traffic on the CubanCigarWebsite increased FIVE-FOLD.....now that's interest.

• Like 3

Out of interest, Alex advised me that immediately following the article about the Cuban cigar embargo being lifted / modified, that the daily traffic on the CubanCigarWebsite increased FIVE-FOLD.....now that's interest.

Well,I did post a CCW link on a couple other sites ...................innocent.gif

I saw the Washington Post article,it should not surprise anyone that the newspaper in the Capitol of cowpoop.gif is full of cowpoop.gif ........

• Like 2

That's amazing!

Any idea what could happen to Cohiba "Red Dot" etc?

** I also figured out my thinking about the volume of the market is out of whack. Yes there may not be that many expensive cigar buyers, but there aren't that many made either.

The NC cigar industry is doing in his pants at the thought of seeing habanos sold in the US territory. This kind of bullshit is only starting.

In response to the article SC quoted, since when the hell did fantastic cigars pop up in Honduras? I always thought Honduran smokes tasted like a combo of cigarette and ashtray.

And I'm all for the American mad rush towards Cubans. Sure, I won't be able to secure some of my favorite premium brands for a few years, but at least shameless gougers like the Fuentes, Padrons, and the frat-boy-of-them-all John Drew will have to back off on their often prodigal pricing.

This argument has been around for ages. Its kinda sad to see NC manufactures and retailers bash (but not overtly) Cuban Cigars when asked for comment on these changes. They've been doing it for years so they've all got their comments well polished.

Any manufacturer or retailer who says they're not worried about CCs becoming more mainstream in the US is a bald faced liar.

Even after you strip away the argument that CCs are the best in the world (an argument I personally don't agree with 100%) you still have an over saturated market about to be introduced to a country that produces over 20 marcas that people are going to be asking for, meaning already overstuffed retailers are going to either have to compete directly with LCDHs in the US or stop caring existing NCs in order to make room for the CCs that people clamor for.

NC brands will end up having to trim their lines down in an effort to stay viable in the marketplace as most of the 100% NC smokers start to introduce CCs into their rotations.

Also, the Super Premium NC industry will need to reconsider their pricing as I would rather smoke a $25 Behike than a $50-$100 Padron.

The ultimate irony in the NC market is that with the regulations the FDA is talking about imposing on the US cigar industry, HSA may not decide to bring their entire portfolo to the US if the embargo is ever lifted due to the cost of approval for new cigars entering the marketplace.

The changes that many people thought would be the death of the NC industry may end up saving them from a CC onslaught

• Like 1

One good thing coming out of this (when Cuban cigars become available in the US) is that when I go to the states I dont have to hide my Cubans :P that and I can go to a bnm there and find me some Cubans if I smoke all of the stash I brought lol

More competition will force each player in the market to make better quality products in the long run. It's a good thing. Articles like this are trying to make cigar enthisiasts stick with their usual Dominican and Nicaraguan offerings (and we all know there are some fine ones out there) but ultimately quelling American interest in all things Cuban right now is like trying to stop a flood with a bucket!

• Like 1

The article is laughable, but very cleverly written and with an obvious bias. Nothing in the article is actually false. A lot of the cuban bashing was about inconsistent quality, which is true. Referencing CA and their top 25, and producing a pretty pie chart on how many are from Cuba, all true information albeit from a dodgy source. I'd put money on it that this was a sponsored article.

The article is laughable, but very cleverly written and with an obvious bias. Nothing in the article is actually false. A lot of the cuban bashing was about inconsistent quality, which is true. Referencing CA and their top 25, and producing a pretty pie chart on how many are from Cuba, all true information albeit from a dodgy source. I'd put money on it that this was a sponsored article.

Maybe 10 years ago, but I've found CC to be quite consistent. Maybe I'm just on a winning streak, but I get better burns from CC than NC. Sure, I might come across a plugged stick every now and again, but it's less common than the NC wind tunnels that are rolled too loose or rolled with such a bias that the whole stick is a chase to get it to butn right.