Merged: US Cuba policy change

I still find it frustrating that tourist travel won't be an option (based on the info released so far). That revenue would be huge for Cuba and the people of Cuba.

EDIT: after reading I found out that only Congress has the right to approve tourist travel. So that will be a ways down the road

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

lol guys. it is really poor form to sit here and complain about your cigars potentially being more expensive when the US opening up normal relations with Cuba is likely going to help the Cuban people

Easy! I'm very happy for Mr. Gross and the people of Cuba. But we're on a cigar forum. I think it's fair game to comment on the effect that a diplomatic shift might have on our cigars.

There's talk that Castro might even announce that Mus will be admitted to the country the next time he turns up in Havana

HOLY CRAP (on so many levels)!!!!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/u-s-and-cuba-seek-to-normalize-relations-in-historic-shift-1.2876088

Of note:

• normalizing relations for first time since 1961
  • exchange of people and money to be normalized
  • American banks and credit cards allowed to process transactions from Cuba
  • America re-opening Embassy in Cuba / Havana
  • "...licensed American travellers to Cuba will now be able to return to the U.S. with $400 in Cuban goods, including tobacco and alcohol products worth less than $100 combined. This means the long-standing ban on importing Cuban cigars is over, although there are still limits."
  • Canada hosted the majority of the meetings working towards this (time will tell if the world and/or Americans specifically need to thank us Canucks, or if something happens to screw this all up!)

cuban-missile-crisis-motives-5-meme-gene

7xevv.jpg

• Like 4

We'll see. Congress will need to lift the embargo. Congress will be controlled by the Republicans next year. Obama is trying to set up the Republicans as they are not going to want to vote to end the embargo or risk loosing votes in Florida in 2016.

The embargo is not lifted. We are just resuming diplomatic relations with Cuba. Also, there are only restricted categories for which you can go to Cuba; tourism is not one of them.

While this is a good step forward, it does not mean that the embargo will be lifted, nor does it mean that the US market is now open to CCs.

That's how I read it. But like another member posted, I'll stick with my current supplier.

agreed. Even if they become legal, the taxes alone will be crazy. I prefer my current suppliers pricing, and quality checked product. I can only imagine that by the time congress legalizes cigars from cuba that will come with a hefty import tax, tobacco tax, luxury tax, etc...

Guessing that ol' pres will have to raise prices due to increased demand, but might still sell product without all the duties.

So, now that importing cuban tobacco is no longer illegal (though with a 100$ limit directly from cuba), does that mean that Americans can import cuban cigars from any other country too?

Of course not, the law is just going back to what it was 20 years ago. If your an American and you buy a cigar while in another country that is still illegal weather you bring it back or not.

• Like 1

My guess is that US travelers will be able to go there as early as Feb/Mar. A hand full of mickey mouse mafiosi charter companies have been handling the flights over the years and they need to be eliminated. A ticket this week RT from Miami is $550-$600 plus they charge you excess on any baggage over 44 lbs. Also you need a Visa that is $90+. There will be limits on the cigars though, currently you can only bring in $100 worth of cigars (from any other country) and the limit is 100 cigars. If you don't have the receipts you can only bring in 25. If you have the receipts and it exceeds $100 you might have to pay duties on that. If you have over 100 cigars it is considered a commercial quantity and at that point US Customs can do whatever they want with you. I doubt they will change the policy to favor anyone carrying cigars. John

• Like 3

lol guys. it is really poor form to sit here and complain about your cigars potentially being more expensive when the US opening up normal relations with Cuba is likely going to help the Cuban people immensely. You all look pretty moronic.

We should be happy for Alan Gross and his family, and the other intelligence asset that has been released from Cuba. Not complaining about the price of cigars. Big picture people.

In a corrupt country do you think that this extra money is really going to go to the people? We have slave labor in China for shoes that sell for $150/pair. That money doesn't go to the workers in China...

• Like 1

I'm not sure most members outside of the USA really understand what's going on. While on the surface this looks like a step in the right direction, its not as clean cut as that. In order to fully understand you must look back at the recent elections here in the US.

Republicans swept both the house and senate. Regardless of how the next presidential election unfolds, republicans will control congress. There is no way congress will lift the embargo. IMO, Obama knows this and is setting the republicans up for failure. While I may be walking a thin line on the rules of this forum (no discussing of US politics), in fact I am independent and think both republican and democratic parties are idiots. I digress.....going forward as I previously stated congress will not lift the embargo anytime soon. The republicans will be blamed for this, and as such the American voters will fall for this ploy. Voters will elect democrats to power in future elections and the control will shift once again. This is nothing more than a democrats versus republican fight. I wish it weren't the case, but unfortunately for Americans and Cubans it is the case. My two cents at least. And I'm just an independent and once again discouraged by our political system we have here in the U.S.

• Like 4

I will gladly pay taxes to help out the Cuban people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

However, any taxes you would pay would be charged upon import (taxes and duties) by the American government, so all paid taxes goes to the American government to quench its thirst for income... the only help Cubans would get through this system is money paid for the item's original price (before taxes), which you're already paying when buying duty free...

• Like 3

Not only this but quality will drop as they try to increase production.

How will they increase production? Isn't there only so much leaf that has been fermented over the last 5 years or so? Wasn't all of that already planned to be used in production? I don't think they can magically make more fermented leaf....

Therefore, they simply get to use the time honored, capitalistic method of supply and demand to set a ceiling on the price.

Perhaps in the future they increase farm sizes to produce more leaf, but then they have to wait for the fermenting process... so even if they expand the fields' crops today, there won't be more supply for a while.

• Like 1

However, any taxes you would pay would be charged upon import (taxes and duties) by the American government, so all paid taxes goes to the American government to quench its thirst for income... the only help Cubans would get through this system is money paid for the item's original price (before taxes), which you're already paying when buying duty free...

Which means that due to the taxes you are paying the american government, you are now able to afford less money for cigars which means that you are paying the Cubans less.

This does not seem to help the Cubans.

In addition, I thought the Cubans were already at maximum production. If that is the case, it will just increase demand. Other countries can already trade with Cuba and travel to Cuba. Does Cuba really need the USA?

I'm not sure most members outside of the USA really understand what's going on. While on the surface this looks like a step in the right direction, its not as clean cut as that. In order to fully understand you must look back at the recent elections here in the US.

Republicans swept both the house and senate. Regardless of how the next presidential election unfolds, republicans will control congress. There is no way congress will lift the embargo. IMO, Obama knows this and is setting the republicans up for failure. While I may be walking a thin line on the rules of this forum (no discussing of US politics), in fact I am independent and think both republican and democratic parties are idiots. I digress.....going forward as I previously stated congress will not lift the embargo anytime soon. The republicans will be blamed for this, and as such the American voters will fall for this ploy. Voters will elect democrats to power in future elections and the control will shift once again. This is nothing more than a democrats versus republican fight. I wish it weren't the case, but unfortunately for Americans and Cubans it is the case. My two cents at least. And I'm just an independent and once again discouraged by our political system we have here in the U.S.

How can something like this be done without it being a Democrats vs. Republicans fight? If the Republicans are going to be against it forever but the majority of the country wants to see normalized relations with Cuba and a lifting of the embargo then any progress is going to be made at the expense of the Republicans. Maybe they should get on board with it and not worry about those Florida votes. Honestly, is the anti-Castro Cuban influence in Florida still that powerful and influential?

• Like 1