And this is why you cooler dive now and then

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For really long term storage, 10 yrs+, I use foil to maximally slow down oxygen-dependent aging processes. This is my practical approach to a theoretical situation: cigars that I treasure, plan to smo

Went in to check on some foil-wrapped boxes I had forgotten I'd laid at the bottom of one of my long term coolers and found these. Well, hello, boys! It's been a long time. Montecristo D 2005 EL Bol

Bravo, both of you... I don't see forum life as a bunch of elitist hens, some of which have secret decoder rings while others don't... Yeah, sure there are some cliques but some of us enjoy the mento

I remember when I kept 5 punch SSs stored which survived my 'vintage purge' a while back.

Thank God they were still around. Had one not too long ago.

An RA Corona buried under my box of Punch Coronas. That was nice to find.

Here's to labelling your cigars with no bands!! :)

Sent from the Enigma on Tapatalk for BlackBerry.

For really long term storage, 10 yrs+, I use foil to maximally slow down oxygen-dependent aging processes. This is my practical approach to a theoretical situation: cigars that I treasure, plan to smoke infrequently, and which I wish to extend their accessibility indefinitely. Well, as long as I live, then. So for example, the Tangs, OR Siglo VI, supercabs of prized cigars, codes, etc.

I've made this choice based on my understanding and research of the chemistry and chemical engineering behind the phenomenon. I'm no dilettante. I have advanced degrees and over dozen years of experience in the field. This is why occasionally discussions get out of hand. There are only a handful of members here and at other forums with similar backgrounds but we rarely form the bulk of communications on the topic. That sounded snobbish but I don't mean it in that way.

I also use zippered polyethylene bags. I put cigars that I stock multiple boxes of, smoke at a moderate rate, and expect to turn over every few years. For example, RASS and Partagas Shorts cabs. Zip bags are always fully sealed as the point of bagging is to slow down, to a lesser degree than foil, aging. For this, we rely on the properties of the poly as a membrane the inherent properties of which provide that "respirational throttling." Leaving the bags open doesn't make sense with respect to this intent.

And then there are some packages these and other cigars that I leave bare in cooler. Those are more my "ready to smoke." For example dressed boxes of Boli CJs, PSD4, etc.

My storage choices are also driven by my personal taste for younger, more forward profiles of the cigars I enjoy. Thus, slowing to varying degrees but not freezing development meets my near and long term needs.

Does that help?

Wilkey

You forgot to mention that you can make hats out of the foil that is left over on the roll... -LOL I think FoH needs an official egghead sub-forum! A proven technical obsession is required...

I think Wilkey is trying to say... I know what I want to do and do it for a reason, a reason that I understand fully, and if you choose to argue with me about it, you will be sorry!!! -LOL

Cheers mate! -Ray

• Like 2

You forgot to mention that you can make hats out of the foil that is left over on the roll... -LOL I think FoH needs an official egghead sub-forum! A proven technical obsession is required...

I think Wilkey is trying to say... I know what I want to do and do it for a reason, a reason that I understand fully, and if you choose to argue with me about it, you will be sorry!!! -LOL

Cheers mate! -Ray

Oh I try not to be quite so...clear? rotfl.gif

And thanks, friend. It's always good to hear from you.

Wilkey

What if I wrap my wife in foil? Will that slow down her aging process?

I would wrap my boxes, but I hardly have any multiples of unbroken boxes. I smoke from all of my boxes. Also, my cigars sit in plastic coolers that get opened once or twice a month... not much air exchange.

• Like 3

On a side note... why do you foil wrap boxes?

For me, it's either foil wrap individuals or plastic bag the boxes with a small hole open.

Sent from the Enigma on Tapatalk for BlackBerry.

He has written about this numerous times, and even in greater detail than this reiteration that he was nice enough to rewrite for you.