Limited Edicion Review : 2003 releases.

there were no new 2002 LE cigars released so off to 2003 we go party.gif

Cohiba Double Corona

49 x 194 (7.6)

Double Corona

I have only smoked a dozen of these over the years. I think Ken still has 2 boxes aging away but the chances of him sharing those with me are the same as him wearing shoes in a vid review come summer.

Have always enjoyed these immensely. last one smoked was summer 2012. Unique character and complex with silky cream, honey and espresso flavours.

My score

9.5/10

Hoyo De Monterrey Piramides

52x156

Pyramid

I was stunned by these cigars upon original release and for the next 5 -7 years. They had all the sweet cream of an aged Dieux with a light chocolate underlay. I couldn't get enough but unfortunately my stocks started expiring in terms of flavour intensity around 2008/9 and continued to do so. I smoked what I had left as I believed they were not going to get any better. For my tastes I should have smoked them earlier. it was a good lesson personally to try your aged stock regularly. When they consistently hit that "Nirvana" smoke them.

7.5/10

Partaga Serie D Number 2

50x156 (6.1)

Robusto Extra.

Never personally got into this cigar. The two boxes I kept just never did it for me. For me they were a tad harsh, a tough wrapper, The start/confirmation of that generic LE profile that plagues some LE's (as we came to experience over the years). Mind you, others loved them. I smoked my last in 2010. It had evened out but nothing to get me excited.

My Score

4.5 /10

Romeo y Julieta Hermosos number 1

48 x 167 (6.6)

Grand Corona

Thoroughly enjoyed these until I finished my last in 2012. they evolved beautifully over the near decade. Rich mocha/cream. Not really an R&J flavour profile but as a cigar on its own merits excellent.

My Score

9/10

Montecristo C

46x143 (5.6)

Corona Gorda

This cigar has been panned mercilessly over the years. The flavours were insipid. Light cream, coffee, cocoa but with little depth or personality. They have improved markedly over the past 4 years but the bar was set very low given where they started. I still smoke them when gifted and i now do enjoy them. i wouldn't seek any out however.

My Score

3.5/10

Ok, let us know your thoughts party.gif

The Monte C was rather bland. I loved the Hermosos #1 (as opposed to the later Hermosos #2 which were boring as heck). Didn't try the others.

I actually pulled out a Monte C last week, had ignored them because I didn't care for them originally, but it was actually pretty good. Had that rich Monte Chocolate and Coffee flavor I love.

Too bad it took 12 years !

I agree that the Monte C was nothing special. I still have a couple left and was glad to hear from Skyfall that just maybe they might yet surprise me. A year or two ago I saw boxes for sale in the vintage section of a Swiss vendor at an absolutely ridiculous price and was laughing hard to myself at the thought that someone would pay that price for mediocre cigars. ---sam

The Cohiba DC was one of the best cigars i smoked, as mentioned smooth and silky.One must show respect towards it by giving it amble time to smoke.

I got a couple boxes of the HdM Pyramide and totally agree with your assessment. They were great for a few years and then started to lose their mojo. Not that they became bad or anything they just didn't have that same great profile

Jeremy you were 7! You need to get into card memorising if you can recall that! :D

There was no issue with a lack of product demand causing the programme to be out on hold then? Purely a lack of availability of wrappers?

ROFL!!

• Like 1

C'mon CQ. Surely your 'old' mind has heard of Google. That's where I got my info when I asked myself the same question. And that's what I stuck with

And with that kind of stock of knowledge you post bold assertions in nearly all threads? Let me tell you in all friendliness: it's not reasonable.

All these things are too dependant on personnal experience, personnal taste, etc.

• Like 2

CQ. Check your PMs for once :pod::P

And c'mon Frank. No need to run a witch hunt on me now. Which bold assertions have I made? Everything that I say is either based on personal experience, my field of chemistry, or what others have described to me in the grand scheme. The latter is a shame as they're suspectable to the game of 'broken telephone'. A decent amount of what I shared is assumed or implied - a trait that we take advantage of in the English language. Perhaps it's different in French. I don't know - I speak what a lot of people call 'redneck' french.

But it's something that needs to be taken into account a good 90% of the time.

What you think is reasonable and what I think is reasonable is radically different. That has been proven countless times.

Just because I lack the addition of 'IMO' or 'IMHO' doesn't mean they're not there. Similarly, just because you lack emoticons doesn't mean you're rude when you post up your bold statements.

Sent by the Enigma on BlackBerry.

You're both jackasses laugh.png

C'mon CQ. Surely your 'old' mind has heard of Google. That's where I got my info when I asked myself the same question. And that's what I stuck with

Sent by the Enigma on BlackBerry.

Everyone is an expert these days......Thank you Google. rolleyes.gif

Cohiba Double Corona

49 x 194 (7.6)

Double Corona

I have only smoked a dozen of these over the years. I think Ken still has 2 boxes aging away but the chances of him sharing those with me are the same as him wearing shoes in a vid review come summer.

Have always enjoyed these immensely. last one smoked was summer 2012. Unique character and complex with silky cream, honey and espresso flavours.

My score

9.5/10

Montecristo C

46x143 (5.6)

Corona Gorda

This cigar has been panned mercilessly over the years. The flavours were insipid. Light cream, coffee, cocoa but with little depth or personality. They have improved markedly over the past 4 years but the bar was set very low given where they started. I still smoke them when gifted and i now do enjoy them. i wouldn't seek any out however.

My Score

3.5/10

please don't see this as a return from exile but one must fight injustice wherever one finds it.

the 03 DC - sadly, i do not have two boxes. you might recall your well intentioned but ultimately disastrous provision of the dodgy humidor many years ago, and subsequent insurance claims for the boxes of top notch smokes it destroyed. your dodgy humidor took care of a box, sent to cigar heaven. cue much gnashing of teeth, weeping, wailing of the serious 'biblical matthew' nature. the two boxes to which you refer might be the 04 sublimes. and yes, chances, wearing shoes etc, applies here as well.

speaking of 04 LE's, the 04 Hoyo epicure especiales, whacko. working my way through a box and every single one has been wonderful, absolutely dripping with molten chocolate. i feel like i put on weight every time i smoke one.

if you bring something really good for the next vid, i'll pull out two. if not, come on down the last of my monte C's.

neat segue to the injustice - the monte C's. 3.5/10? seriously? like giving bin laden 3.5/10 on the humanitarian of the year meter; nick phibbs 3.5/10 on the halfbacks with ability scale. i can conceive of no possible reason why these dog droppings should not be given a negative score. if habanos put these out at $2 a stick under guantanamera or some dodgy brand, you'd still think you were ripped off. worst ever LE. in fact, worst ever cigar. never smoked a cigarette in my life but i can't imagine that they are worse than this. you've made some great recommendations over the years. this was not one of them.

please don't see this as a return from exile but one must fight injustice wherever one finds it.

you got me hopeful....... sad.png

neat segue to the injustice - the monte C's. 3.5/10? seriously? like giving bin laden 3.5/10 on the humanitarian of the year meter; nick phibbs 3.5/10 on the halfbacks with ability scale.

rotfl.gifrotfl.gifrotfl.gif

I wish I had the same experience with the Cohiba DC. The last one was disappointing. Haven't smoked one in a couple of years though. May need to revisit.

Agreed. Smoked one last December to commemorate my 10 year wedding anniversary (got married in 03) and thought it was a decent cigar, but definitely nothing I would search out or spend much money on.